What's with the use of asterisks in swear words here?

This has been bugging the ever-living fuck out of me for a while now. This is the Pit. You don’t get in trouble for using the word “fuck” here, even in the thread title. In fact, you can look at the first page of the Pit and see plenty of examples where this is so. So what’s with the use of “f*ck” or “d@mn” or whatever?

Either cuss or don’t; I don’t care. But quit trying to pretend you’re not cussing when you hide one letter of it. The word is F U C K. If you’re uncomfortable with the word or any swear word, find a substitute.

I c*mpletely agree. I mean, come on.

****ed if I know.

Actually I don’t believe in spelling out the name of my god, the great god **** you and the ***** you rode in on.

Oh dear, such language!

<swoons>

I find them hot. Blonde hair, pink nipples, they’re usually taller. Blah.

Jamaican? What’s so special about them?

OK, Michael, I have to admit I’m really whooshed by your post. I’ve read it about five times trying to get it and I’m just scratching my head.

Say hallo (and goodbye), to my stupid friend.

Oh, so it’s 1920’s-style “asterisks”, then.

F*** y** a**, y** b**** o* l*****!

M** G*****

Ok, everybody just calm the f*** down. Who gives a s***. ***** **** ******** **** *** **** ****, ok?

I find them hot. Blonde hair, pink nipples, they’re usually taller. Blah.

Jamaican? What’s so special about them?

**** — -* -– / *** **** ** - / -– — - / * — - * / - - * / -* — - * -** / – - -– -*** * / -– — - / *** **** — - - - / - - -- * / - / - / **** — - -* -– / — - / *** — – * - **** ** - --* / ** -* *** - * - -* / — - / – — - - -– ** - --* / - -** — - - / ** - -- / - ** - * *** / - - -** / *** - **- *- *-

** **, Brutus?

** <—Those ain’t pink nipples, they be Jamaican beauties!

** <---- Thar be pink nipples!

Rk ** * b*x, I bng yr d*g.

Thar be ** WRONG NIPPLES!

I don’t understand why someone would use asterices in this forum, but I understand why someone would do so in the other forums. We’re not really supposed to cuss in other forums, except for the occasional remark, so sometimes people will cover themselves by using the asterices.

Ok, before I do the geek thing and attempt to decode this, is it actual Morse code, or did you just make shit up? :smiley: