What's your current photography project?

A lot of dopers take pictures, and I’d like to know what others are working on right now.

Since it’s October, I’m working on my Jack O Lantern photography skills. I’m a decent pumpkin carver, but my pumpkin photos have always come out poorly. I did some research on the topic of pumpkin photography (isn’t the internet grand?) and carved a paractice pumpkin tonight. Here you can see the disappointing pumpkins from years-gone-by and tonight’s attempts. I think there’s still a lot of room for improvement, but these pictures are miles better than the old ones.

So, what are you taking pictures of lately?

I just got a couple of new lenses for my Canon camera, a EF-S 10-22 F/3.5-4.5 and a EF-S 17-55 F/2.8. I haven’t had a whole lot of time with them yet. I’m thinking a pumpkin carving or other Fall events would be a good workout and provide inspiration. Perhaps a trip to the local Pumpkin Patch with my son is a great photo oppo, and/or I’ll drive into the foothills and get some fall color.

But really, I’m very behind on the photos - I’ve got 1500ish from my August trip to the Canadian Rockies that I haven’t “developed” from RAW, other than spot checks and putting together some panoramas. I need to calibrate my new monitor, and just haven’t taken the time. So that’s really my ‘current’ photo project.

Equipmentwise: switching to digital. I’ve got one roll of film left, and no plans to buy more. Canon’s 1000D (Rebel XS in the US) seems to have the price/features most suitable for me, so I’ll be heading to a camera store sometime this month.

As for the photography itself: autumn mornings on my way to work. Sun just about to rise, trees in bright colours, clear cold air and warm lakes/rivers creating thick, sharp-edged strands of fog…

For the last couple of years I’ve been taking pictures of county courthouses in Ohio and in neighbouring states. It’s part of a larger project by a group at Flickr to collect pictures of every county courthouse: U.S. County Courthouses.

A couple of examples, both from near where I live:
Union County, Ohio
Licking County, Ohio
and the last one that I’ve posted on Flickr (though I’ve got more that I need to go through):
Hancock County, Tennessee

I’m working on my film scanning skills, currently (like, at this very moment) going through a roll shot with my pink Special Moments camera. The negatives are pretty special looking, lots of competely random overlapped exposures. I’m also researching the costs of processing my own black and white film. It looks like it should be doable, but I will need to wait until I get another paycheck or two to pad out my bank account. I was without a paycheck for a couple of months during the summer and I can’t justify any large purchases until my safety net is back.

Despite the utterly boring financial planning I’m doing, I’m part of that obnoxious under-25 crowd that Lomo pandered to during Photokina. Right now, a lot of my photographic interests are centered around pieces of plastic that try really hard to be cameras and, on a rare occasion, succeed.

I have an idea for a photography project, but I’m currently too busy with other stuff to get started. There are a lot of older restaurants and other businesses around here with those big, corny, elaborate neon signs, and I’d love to get pictures before they all get updated (which has already happened to a couple). There’s a placed called “Mr. K’s Restaurant” that I pass every day on my way to work that is just awesome. Unfortunately, it’s impossible to predict on any given day whether all of the neon will be working.

I’d also like to take the photos at the right time of day, preferably dawn or dusk, and with a dramatic sky in the background. I just have to commit myself to planning everything out.