What's your degree worth income wise over a lifetime? - Check it out here

Is a degree worth a million bucks? - How to determine what piece of paper will really pay

Well, it says my engineering degree will be worth an extra $500,000. Nice.

Hahahaha!

I have my BA in Public Archaeology. I’d class that as a “social science” (don’t get me started on it not being a BS…) and according to that article:

**Social Science $210,080 **

Dude, the only archaeologists making near that are James Spader and Harrison Ford. In the movies.

::whew:: That was good for a laugh!

(FTR, I’ve never “used” my degree; I’ve worked in IT since graduating in '99.)

Umm…you need to read the article again. The dollars quoted are not annual salaries, but are the net present value of an degree in terms of the expected increase in income over a lifetime.

I am SO glad I didn’t go on to get a Masters in Accounting.
I’ll take my BBA and CPA, and hell will freeze over before I take another test!

Woo hoo! My law degree is worth $9748,865.

. . . typo? Surely not. Although it certainly doesn’t seem to line up with my salary.

My M.A. in English Lit is worth “less than 0.” Like I needed some bozo on MSNBC to tell me that.

$ 748,865 in net present dollars today, on average more than you would have made without the degree. In real terms this will equate to millions and millions in income actually received over the average lawyer’s lifetime. More (lots more) if you’re a hot shot, less if you choose to be a legal aid worker or some such, or are just a poor lawyer.

So lots, lots less for me. Although I doubt that I’d be making much at what I’d be doing had I failed the bar exam – sleeping and eating Cheetohs.

The reason I thought it was a typo is that the article showed that a doc’s degree was worth over $8 million less, which doesn’t comport with my experience with docs and their income.

So lots, lots less for me. Although I doubt that I’d be making much at what I’d be doing had I failed the bar exam – sleeping and eating Cheetohs.

The reason I thought it was a typo is that the article showed that an M.D. was worth about $8.5 million less than a J.D., which doesn’t comport with my experience with the relative income of docs and lawyers.

Well lawyers don’t have to shell out an average of $3,000,000 a year for malpractice insurance which is what most doctors have to do these days, thanks to the lawsuit happy idiots who think that doctors are somehow perfect robots and not human beings who make mistakes and errors like everyone else.