What's your favorite "Good for you" cereal?

Special K with strawberries.

They don’t make it any more, but I thought that Frosted Bran Flakes was a perfect complement to the Baby Boom meeting middle age.

Raisin Bran for me too, but I sprinkle a teaspoon of sugar on it.

I like the original Fiber One–the one that looks like little extruded noodles and provides 57% of your daily fiber needs per serving. I figure most cereals are fairly interchangeable, and even the “healthy” ones aren’t that healthy, so I might as well get as much of my daily fiber need out of the way early in the day (especially since most Americans don’t eat enough fiber.) All the vitamins and other stuff I get plenty of in my diet (and Fiber One is already modestly fortified, anyway.)

Cereal is good but always watch the serving size, especially if your concerned about your weight. A serving size is typically a cup (or less) of cereal with 1 cup (or 1/2) of 1% or skim milk (suggested) Oftentimes people fill their bowls up to the brim with cereal and then drown it in milk, completely eliminating many health benefits. I’m not preaching, because I’m guilty of this. I’m guilty of portion control and reteaching myself after so many years…pasta is another surprising one.

I eat this stuff nearly every day and even carry it along when I travel. I usually throw some Craisins in there too. I imagine my colon simply glows with cleanliness and joy.

Special K Vanilla Almond.

And I snatched a box of Kashi Oat Flakes and Blueberry Clusters out of the clearance cart, I’d never buy them full price. They were delicious. Killed them off this morning.

Having just cereal for breakfast isn’t good for you, no matter how “healthy” the cereal. Continue to have some protein with your breakfast… and a fruit or vegetable if you can possibly manage it.

Bob’s Red Mill Scottish Oatmeal has recently become readily available where I live. It isn’t rolled, but unlike Irish/pinhead oats it cooks in ten minutes. That’s my new favorite cereal.

Weetabix! Weetabix, Weetabix, Weetabix. I know lots of people think it tastes like mush, but if you put the biscuits in before the milk, and pour the milk on the side of the bowl instead of directly on them, it has this incredible creamy-crunchy texture and rich flavor. Plus, the ingredients list is very small.
Although to be honest, cereal in general probably isn’t the best for breakfast, as it’s not great at sustaining you for many hours. Still, as dessert with honey and fresh fruit, it’s awesome.

I mix Kashi GoLean with Fiber One and add a tablespoon of slivered almonds. Crunchy and filling. Plenty of fibre and protein.

Simple cooked oatmeal with raisin and ground almond mix- in. Raw sugar just a sprinkle.

Go Lean Crunch! is my favorite.

Simple cooked oatmeal with raisin and ground almond mix- in. Raw sugar just a sprinkle.

I like the store-brand Banana-Nut granola at Hannaford’s supermarket. It tastes sweet, but is has a lower sugar content than Post Raisin Bran.

Assuming they are in fact good for you, I also like Honey Bunches of Oats, Grapenuts (though Euell Gibbons died at a fairly disappointing 64 y.o.a.) ; I used to like “Buckwheats” which I haven’t seen around in ages but they used to out-RDA everything on the shelf save for Total. And definitely Toasted Oats, if that’s what they’re called.

Great Grains.

Hot - oatmeal with honey, walnuts, and a banana. Cold - granola with plain yogurt, honey, and blueberries.

I make this, but double the recipe, because my kids burn right through it. The Best Granola, Ever! - Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day

So easy, cheap, and healthy. My favorite combination.

Regular Cheerios and also Peanut Butter Multigrain Cheerios.

Shredded Wheat with hot milk. Turns it to mush, but super yummy mush.

Something I learned from my friend’s elderly parents, that I thought was really weird the first time I saw it, and now find myself doing years later, is mixing cereals. Regular corn flakes with bran flakes, or Special K with one of the fancy flavours…

No love for Wheaties?