What's your favorite mask?

I started with multiple gators, but they made me hot. So I went on Esty , have three, two plain and one floral. Light cotton. Bought my husband a bandanna lik3 one. He prefers the medical ones.

Yup. I think “20th Century Schizoid Man” was prescient.

I like the three layer unisex face masks from the Gap (not the contour ones). They come in different patterns/colors and have a sewn-in nose piece. They’re the pleated design, which fits well to my face. Three for $15.

I do have a bunch of other cloth masks without the nose piece. If anyone has a recommendation for an add-on nose clip that fits well over a cloth mask, please share!

Seems like a good thread to ask for guidance. My petite wife has a petite head. We can’t find masks that fit her well and don’t cover her face. We’ve ordered a couple “children’s” masks which have been too small. Also: she has “flimsy” ears so snug masks fold them forward.

Also: want only multilayer cotton mask with metal thing to pinch above nose.

Anyone aware of a source for those?

Check with Decent Exposures:

They can customize them in terms of using tie strings vs elastic. They have a version with a slit for a filter; I’d bet they could make one with a slot to insert a homemade nose clip. The times I’ve ordered masks, I select one specific color there’s no “whatever you have on hand” option, but I always say in the special instructions “we’ll take whatever colors you have”.

This site has some ideas on how to cobble one of THOSE together (I have not tried any of them):

And you can buy them pretty cheaply at Amazon.

I do like Decent Exposures. They’re a small business out near Seattle; everything is made right there, and they are very, very responsive to questions and requests for customization. A special-order will delay things a bit, of course, but if your wife is getting by with other options in the short term, even if they are not idea, it’s worth checking with them.

Oh - and another option for your wife’s ears: they make things that basically turn ear-loops into a connection to something that goes behind the head. Here’s one example but there are lots out there, including ones you can make yourself with some fabric and a couple of buttons.

I’ve found that this one, from the college where I work, is the best and most practical one. It had a deep pocket for your mouth and nose and gives you plenty of room. Instead of hooking over the ears, the elastic goes behind your neck and on the top/back of your head. Extremely comfortable (can be adjusted) and doesn’t put pressure on your ears. You lift the upper elastic over your head and it hangs around your neck when you’re not using it and it can be put back up in a couple of seconds.

The downside is that I’ve never found anything of similar design, even when I went to the manufacturer’s website.

Google Photos

The King Crimson one is great! I still have the vinyl LP.

My favorite one has the lower half of the Guy Fawkes mask from “V for Vendetta” on it. Very few people get the reference. For more formal occasions, I turn it backwards and it’s just plan black.

This is my current favorite:

But I also have some of these, which are light and comfortable. I wear them for low-risk-but-I-wanna-wear-a-mask situations.

I also like the disposable surgical masks.

:::snerk:::
When the movie came out, we were in Chicago for a family event, and spent an afternoon at the Navy Pier. The movie theatre was showing it. We wanted to see it - but we deemed the kids (then about 9 and 7) were a bit too young. “Look: this movie is brought to you by the number 5 and the letter V!”.

Puzzlegal, those idMasks look like they are based on a CPAP mask frame. My husband and I joked, early on, that he could use one of his spare “full-face” masks, with the tubing attached but tucked into a shirt pocket. Yeah, he’d look a bit like an elephant, but I bet it’d work fairly well.

Redbubble makes the very one I wanted, a Twilight Zone reference:
https://www.redbubble.com/i/mask/Mouth-of-the-Beholder-by-MarxPachinko/47634647.9G0D8
But I haven’t bought any, since I get the paper ones at work for free. Good 'nuff.

I hate earloop masks. I wear glasses and the loops hurt my ears. I found a pattern on YouTube for a mask that fastens behind the head with Velcro. Bonus, you can hang it around your neck so you don’t forget it. I added a pipe cleaner in a pocket over the nose.

I wear a medical disposable mask which I reuse, I can breathe easily while wearing it.

I have a mask in the same design as the London Underground moquette for the district line - the second one down on this page, and the one that shows up in the link image:

I didn’t make it myself, though, I bought it online.

TFL merchandising is surprisingly popular - I’ve been stopped and asked where I got mine, and wish I could remember! I just tell them to google “moquette” and spell the word out, which is harder to do than usual while wearing a mask.

(I also have cushions in the same moquette, and whenever I post pictures of my cat or whatever with those cushions on the background, people comment on the cushions).

I also have a rainbow mask, a surprisingly nice design. It’s kind of a handy way of saying “I’m gay” to those who care about it. Obviously it’s not the only reason to wear a rainbow mask, and that wasn’t what I was thinking of when I got it, but unexpectedly it has put me on people’s gaydar a couple of times, and I’m usually not on it.

Might get a darker coloured one, maybe with something geeky on it, to go with darker winter outfits.

The fashion statement aspect is definitely one of the positive aspects of masks - they’re a much cheaper way of making a statement than most clothing is. It’s quite fun looking around the tube and checking out what people are wearing.

This lady has come up with a cool lanyard design that is great if you’re going to multiple places on one trip. It just hangs around the neck when not needed. I’ve got no affiliation with her, I just got a few of them.

Do you mean that you wore gaiters?

Both!

That’s cooler than mine…oooh

The one that has a couple of filters

If I was braver, I’d wear this Tokyo Ghoul cosplay mask.

I have two cat masks, but both are shorthair cats. Where did you find a lovely Maine Coon mask? :slight_smile: