What's your favorite non-nut Peanut Butter alternative?

Tahini all the way.

I assume a seed butter would not be something you’d intrinsically be likely to have an allergy to?

sounds like Trader Joe’s cookie butter

The problem with these things is that they have almost no protein and pretty high calories per ounce. So while they might be nice to spread on something, they’re no substitute for peanut (or soy or sunflower seed) butter. If I wasn’t clear about the desire to retain the protein of peanut butter in some other form, I apologize.

Re: tahini = thanks for the suggestion; the tahini I’ve tried was too runny, I had to spread it too thin to be the kind of snack I want (i.e. a higher ratio of spread to bread).

Commercial tahini usually contains added oil, and sometimes other liquid ingredients. If you make your own sesame butter in a blender or food processor, you can probably get the consistency the way you like it.

Just hope your school system doesn’t find out sunflower seeds are botanically classified as achenes, or nuts.

Gonna have to revisit this thread in the future. I seem to have trouble with peanuts and peanut butter with my Crohn’s. Damn, but I miss a pb and j, and a Reeses’ cup. Of course, I can’t eat gluten either, which kills a really good pb and j anyway.

I had some apple butter about a year back which was wonderful, even on the gluten Free bread.

Gee, I absolutely love Sunbutter. I’d take it over peanut butter any day.

I haven’t actually seen this product on shelves, but…Asian cuisine is big on red bean pastes. Sweet ones are used in mochi and other confections. Seems like someone should sell jars of sweetened red bean paste.

If you like tahini flavor, you might experiment with making your own hummus (as suggested above). It’s basically tahini, garbanzo beans, olive oil, cumin, and salt. If you want mostly tahini flavor, you could mix (I use an immersion/hand blender) tahini and garbanzo beans, starting conservatively with the beans until you get the right consistency.