What's your favorite sangria recipe?

Having really liked sangria when I tried it in Spain, and also having several unopened and unlikely-to-be-opened bottles of red wine in the pantry, I’ve decided I might as well make use of them and attempt to make sangria. Right now, I’m looking for a really good recipe- any suggestions?

Not much to it: 1 bottle of red wine, preferably Spanish Rioja; lime juice to taste (about a shot or two); a couple of shots of either rum or vodka; a bunch of sliced oranges, lemons, and limes. Put it all in a pitcher and serve over ice. :smiley:

I usually use a decent red wine, a baggie of frozen mixed berries, fresh oranges that have been sliced (or a can of mandarin oranges if I can’t find decent oranges at the supermarket), and sliced lemons and limes (only if I can find good ones, else these get left out). Depending on the wine, if I use a can of mandarin oranges I may or may not put in the liquid from the can as well.

Put all of the ingredients into a pitcher or punch bowl big enough for all of it, carefully stir, and there you go. Adjust proportions to taste.

I use the frozen berries since they do a good job of cooling down the wine without getting it too watery. Just be sure to wait to drink until the berries have had a chance to do their job, and that you’re no longer in danger of chomping into a still frozen one.

<< Coffee-based lifeform. >>

From La Bodega, Vancouver:

SANGRIA

1 LEMON, 1 ORANGE 1/2 APPLE, cut
1 bottle RED WINE
1 1/2 oz BRANDY
1 1/2 oz TRIPLE SEC
2 oz ORANGE JUICE
2 oz LEMONAIDE
6 oz 7-UP or soda

I never have triple sec, so I just up the brandy
:wink:

The box version isn’t bad. The horror!

I found this recipe before I got the responses from all of you guys, and went ahead and tried it- the result was actually quite good. One of the things that I like about this one is that it lets you adjust the proportions the way that you want them.

I’m quite fond of Senorial sangria.

I don’t think that’s quite what you were looking for though. :slight_smile:

1.5 L CABERNET SAUVIGNON - cold, yes, very cold

3 OZ brandy

2 oz triple sec

Boil in a pot
1.5 Cups sugar, 1 cup water, 1 cinnamon stick, zest of one orange and one lemon -strain and add to wine mix.

Cut up some limes, lemons, and oranges and try to find something big enough to hold it all. Pour over ice.

Damn, now I’m thirsty.

1 cup of red wine
1 Orange
1 Lime
1 Lemon
1 1/2 cups of sugar
1 cup of water
Seltzer or Club Soda (to your taste - seltzer has no salt!)

Boil the sugar in the water. Slice the fruit and place in a bowl. Pour the sugar-water over the fruit and cover. Chill for at least four hours.

After four hours:

Put the cup of wine over some ice in a pitcher. Put in all the fruit and one cup of the sugar-water mix from the top of the fruit. Add the seltzer, and stir.

You can adjust the wine to make it more or less alchoholic. I like it very mild and fruity, so only one cup.

This is the good stuff!

I don’t drink now (didn’t have a drinking problem…I was just getting headaches after even one drink), so I can’t try this one out again. But I had it on a non-touristy beach in Spain, so it must be “authentic.”

Fill a small pitcher about half-way with red wine. Add two shots each of gin and 43 Liquor (a sort of orange brandy-ish local speciality in Spain). Top up with fruit juices. No club soda. Drop in slices of lemon and orange. Pass out on beach.