What's your favorite word, and why?

:slight_smile: It’s also because mellifluous has a whole range of deep pastel colors associated with it in my head. So it looks and sounds nice.

When I say to my boss I need his input on the pagination of a catalog, I swear he blushes. I think he thinks it’s something about sex, as in “Hey boss, I need your help paginating.”

Jeez, most of my favorites have already been mentioned, so I’ll add:
Valetudinarian - both for the sound and the definition
Eschatology - ever since I heard Roy Blount Jr. say that it’s the sound you hear inside a bowling alley.

" drawers" as an euphemism for underwear.
Also , I agree with LawMonkey “steatopygian”.

“Slugabed.” Means what it sounds like it should mean. (Basically, a layabout.)

I’m also a fan of “zaftig” and “weltanshauung,” but it’s hard to work at least the latter into casual conversation.

ETA: Oh, and “katzenjammer.” Have yet to find a good way to use it, though. I did, however, receive a text about 12 years ago from my girlfriend at the time and had me scrambling to the dictionary.

ETA2: Oh, and why? Because they just sound cool.

I also enjoy “cattywampus”.

Since i don’t know many German words, I had fun figuring out what that meant. And it was right there in front of me the whole time, ha!

“Trousered” is better.

In more technical fields, “splanchnopleure”, or just plain “splanchnic”, are quite satisfying.

The past week my favorite word has been toodles. I saw an episode of “Too Cute” that had a duck named Toodles. So now I say toodles instead of good-bye. It’s such a fun word!

moist

Ugh. I absolutely hate that word.

I abhor the word ‘hate’.

Hom as in Tom and ige

boustrophedon - because it just flows, back and forth.

Speaking of words we hate (I’m looking at you, “panties”), I realized today that I really am inexplicably skeeved by “tickler file”.

Shenanigans…cuz it’s fun to say, and there is a LOT of bullshit at my place of employment!!!

ac·cou·tre·ment

• Spam

• Snood

• Kerfuffle

Because they are funny, especially when repeated - spam spam spam snood!

Oh, and contemplating the fact that “Butterfly” in English is “Mariposa” in Spanish and “Schmetterling” in German. I love that - the English is straightforward, the Spanish one sounds like it should be said by Antonio Banderas, and the German sounds like the butterfly has been stepped on…

You mean, of course, “accoutreyMAHN”.

However, “moist” and “panties” sure do combine to a sum greater than the parts.

Which reminds me of an ex-girlfriend of mine (don’t look at me like that, this sentence continues) who absolutely adored the phrase “Little Italy”, especially saying it run together quickly, and repeated. “Liddleitaly, liddleitaly, liddleitaly”. It is indeed quite a mellifluous phrase, not to mention dulcet, dainty and symphonious.