What's your favorite word, and why?

Well, a plethora of piñatas is always nice…

Sterquilinian = pertaining to a dunghill

Used more often than one might think, as it can be worked into political arguments quite easily.

empyrean - the highest heaven

Bathycolpian is a good word to team with callipygian, in my experience. Madame Pepperwinkle is both, fortunately for me.

Oh my. I must incorporate that into my vocabulary at once. Since I didn’t realize that SCAdian beat me to callipygian, I shall now vote for borborygmus. It’s actually rather odd; I noticed myself being borborygmic all the time when I was a kid, but not so much now. Maybe I just don’t pay attention any more.

“Gasbags” is a pretty good word, especially if you can say it several times in succession, in a weird tone of voice, flapping your arms once in awhile with occasional fits of laughter.

People will stare and often turn away, pretending not to notice, but what the heck, “gasbags” is a good word that can unite people in their view of the person saying it.

Saying “gasbags” brings people together!!

Oh, while not a word but rather a phrase, “intergluteal cleft” is also a good one.

Homage…which I say omage both to irritate some people and sound impressive to others.

Wait, I thought that’s how it’s supposed to be pronounced. What should I be saying, “hom-age”?

This is awesome! I must remember to use this.

kayT posted my favorite word, defenestration, so I’ll add my second favorite.

Qat

Fun to annoy people with in Scrabble or Words with Friends. I once scored over 100 points on WwF with “qats” hooked to “za” and hit a triple word score. My sister refused to play against me after that. :smiley:

Pumpernickel–I just recently learned that it translates to “Devil’s Fart” or “fart demon”.

Hurple. It expresses an action not covered by any other word, and it rhymes with purple.

I dig it. :wink:

I love this, both word and definition!

Do you say oh-MAHJE ?

I say HA-mudge.

(representations approximate)

For years my fav was facetious, because I often find it’s use facetious.
For a while it was doppleganger.
Now it’s gnosis

Prodigious. I love the way the character (Quentin) in October Sky said it. Often.

Heteroskedasticity - not for the meaning but for the way it sounds.

And for a title of a paper:
Continuous Record Asymptotics for Rolling Sample Variance Estimators

This was my college entrance essay. I wrote “work” because physics defines it as “force applied over a distance” which encapsulates both the importance of effort and staying power as necessary to get “work” done.

My actual favorite word is either brobdingnagian or portmanteau but I couldn’t spin a coherent essay out of either.

Trousers, an inherently funny word and has great mouth feel.