What's your favourite Christmas carol?

“Carol of the Bells” is hands-down my favorite, and in this particular Boston Pops rendition: Boston Pops w Arthur Fiedler - Carol of the Bells - YouTube

As a kid I almost found it a little spooky, but as a grownup I really love it. I’m just sorry it doesn’t run longer.

I’ll vote for “O Come All ye Faithful” (though in the English ;)) or “Go Tell it on the Mountain”

This. It’s one of the few pieces of Christmas music I actually like. I’m particularly fond of TSO’s “Sarajevo” interpretation, but I like a lot of others, both traditional and nontraditional interpretations.

Here’s Lindsey Stirling’s take.
And here is Frank DellaPenna, of Cast in Bronze, performing it on his portable carillon. (The audio in the link doesn’t do his carillon justice–it was recorded in the middle of a crowd at a faire.)

WHOA! That video is spectacular.

TSO sounds kind of Mannheim Steamroller-ish, amirite? (In a good way.)

No they are NOT. :smack:

Your own definition indicates that a “carol” is either a religious folk song or a popular hymn. It’s not just anything people sing at Christmas time. There have always been popular Christmas songs that weren’t heavy on the religious imagery; no one thinks of those as “carols”.

White Christmas is a Christmas song. Not all Christmas songs are “carols”. I could get Governor Walker from Wisconsin to draw you a Venn diagram to explain it, if you like. :smiley:

Ok, then try this version:

I liked the kitties.

Another version of Carol of the Bells, by Pentatonix.

You’re right. Maybe I should have said that many of the ‘carols’ we sing are not religious folk songs or hymns.

Oh, wait. I did.

[quote=“DrDeth, post:26, topic:826271”]

[/QUOTE]

I remember that one. The pun in the introduction still amuses me more than it should. :smiley:

They turn the adorable up to 11, don’t they?

For me it’s a tossup between “O Holy Night” and “What Child is This?”

The problem with the latter in my denominations current hymnal is that it has softened up the song, and all three verses have the same chorus “This, this, is Christ the King…” I prefer the original wording for the second verse in particular.

Why lies He in such mean estate
Where ox and ass are feeding?
Good Christians fear for sinners here
The silent Word is pleading.
Nails, spear shall pierce Him through
The cross be borne for me, for you.
Hail, hail, the Word made flesh,
The Babe, the Son of Mary.

I was really pleased this afternoon to hear a lovely version of one of my favorites on the radio, “The Holly and the Ivy”.

The Christmas Amoeba

Carol Evans.

I’d heard TSO’s before and like it; the others are odder but still interesting.

[quote=“DrDeth, post:26, topic:826271”]

[/QUOTE]

Looks like the California Raisins took it on!

My thanks to you both.

You keep missing the point. The things we sing aren’t carols. They aren’t carols because they don’t meet the definition. And you haven’t offered a definition that would make White Christmas a carol. You just appear to want to call White Christmas (and songs like it) carols because, well, I don’t really know why, because you’ve failed entirely to articulate that. :rolleyes:

One not mentioned yet that was my favorite was Angels we Have Heard on High, mostly because I loved to belt out that looonnnnngggg multi-note Gloria. Glooooooooooooooooooooooia.

Silent night. Not the song, though.

O Holy Night

I always tear up listening to it. It’s a wonderful and inspirational song.

Away in a Manger is my 2nd favorite

Celtic Woman did a wonderful performance of O Holy Night.