What's your most prized posession?

It’s a toss up between my 1979 D28M Guild (my main stage guitar) and my Selmer archtop.

But it’s gonna be a guitar - no doubt about it.

Other than my pets?

Two college textbooks that belonged to my dad. I found them in the basement and read through them on my own before my senior year of high school. They were pretty basic, and I got through them fairly quickly, but they set me on a course that has more or less defined my professional, personal, and academic life these many years. They’re the number one prizes on my bookshelf (particularly because my dad is no longer with us).

The only surviving photograph of my wife and I before we were married. God, we looked young.

I haven’t the slightest clue!

Other than our pets…

The treasure chest my grampa made me.
My stuffed llama named Salvador
The music books my teacher gave me
Our grand piano (my livelihood!)

My violin

(What is it with all the guitarists? :stuck_out_tongue: )

For sentimental value, I’d have to say my quilt. My mom made it for me, and it took five years. The front is mostly denim, and the back is a fleecy backing with pictures of cute little bugs.

I would say my thousands of songs, but they are easily replaced. I would say my favorite CD, but she wouldn’t mind giving me another one. All my DVDs are important, but I’ve basically memorized them by now. I have a box in the closet of sentimental shit, but I don’t really care about any of that anymore. My computer is 6 years and on her last throes; certainly the character would be lost, but it’s character of little value. My portfolio of art might be important to others, but none of it is anything I particulary like.

Man, until this thread I really had no idea of my level of Buddhist rejection of material possession. Honestly everything could be razed and I would only be moderatly aroused after a period of righteous anger.

Not counting pets…
Prolly my large book collection, most importantly my Harry Potter books.
Then I’d say my stuffed animal and beanie babies. Those worn out pieces of fabric have been with me for nearly my whole life.
I’m also quite fond of my iPod which I have affectionately named Charlie. That little thing is supplying music with me where ever I go.

Yeah, I’m a nerdy girl.

my POS car and my POS computer. Not so much the actual car and the actual computer, but the utility that I derive from owning a car and a computer. They’re easily the highest utility items I own. My life would change immensely without them.

I sold all my prized possessions (music gear, studio gear, harley) fending off Reaganomics 2.0, Closest thing would probably be my BMW R80/7. It’s not my harley, but its a cool bike. Cant think of a thing I inside the house that would fall in the possesion and not the family member catagory.

My sanity.

My kids-if it’s only material things, then pics of my kids and of my sibs etc growing up.

Next would be books-but that’s too long a list!

I have ultrasound pictures from when I was pregnant and a letter from the boy’s father that I imagine I will share with him many years in the future if he ever gets curious about that. (The boy was adopted by family; bio-father is not a scumbag, etc.)

In the event of a fire: (after the cat) I would probably grab anything that might net me some cash from the pawn shop. Yeah, my parents have insurance and everything, but they’re my parents. They would never, ever give me what my stuff might fetch from the insurance company as far as monetary value goes. (Perfect example of that greediness: when I got a settlement check from getting hit by a car, the first words from my mother were, “When do I get the $1500 you owe me?” That was just for her “having” to leave work for a few days to come pick me up so I wouldn’t have to fly with a leg brace and crutches. :dubious: )

After family pictures (including a portrait of my now-deceased paternal grandmother, done when she was about my age, and in which she looks almost exactly like I do now), my engagement ring.

Well, kinda. :wink:

I swiped my prop ring I wore in The Philadelphia Story, because that was the most important/moving/exciting/just-damn-good productions I’ve ever been involved with. It sort of symbolizes my love affair with/commitment to theater, and it’s very important to me.

My coffee maker. Touch it and you will get ripped from stem to stern. :stuck_out_tongue:

My house.

It would be my watch collection, including my Breitling Chronograph, Baume and Mercier, Rado, Rolex and Tag Heuer. Small as watch collections go, but each one has a special meaning for me.

My most prized possession is my wedding ring, a simple band of 14K gold. I’ve worn it for 25 years.

It isn’t worth a lot in dollars, but it’s beyond monetary value in meaning.

Oh no, another guitar.

My Fender Telecaster I’ve had (from new) for over twenty years. It’s had the crap beaten out of it and has zero monetary value and I have several ‘better’ guitars, but that’s the thing I’ll be buried with.

My family’s not terribly sentimental, and they’re almost all still alive. I’ve taken many pictures over the years and on my travels; and if they were lost I’d still have the memory of those times and places. But there are a couple pictures I’ve taken that I think rise to the level of art. Those I would miss.

For something I acquired, there’s a pencil sketch from the making of How the Grinch Stole Christmas (the sketches are drawn by the animators and sent to the ink-and-paint department, who trace it to create a cel). That’s the only thing that an outsider would recognize as valuable and irreplacable. And I like it a lot, too.

I’d have to go with my engagement & wedding rings.

In case of fire, my rings wouldn’t be an issue because I never take them off. But after getting my cats out of the house, I’d have to grab my dad’s remains. Anything else can go up in smoke. Dad doesn’t need to be burned twice.