What's Your "Soylent Green" Send-Off Music/Film?

Grandpa Simpson’s choice of Glenn Miller and cops beatin’ up hippies was a good one. But I’d choose Geo. Gershwin’s “Rhapsody in Blue” and clips of old New York. Yeah, I know, it sounds like the opening to any Woody Allen film, but Times Square, the Algonquin, and the Chrysler Bldg. are where my heart is.

Yours?

Ever since the first time I heard it, I wanted “Forty ays” to be my exit music. The original recording, mind you (Time In), with that desert-dry sax solo by Paul Desmond, the elegant bass line, and Dave’s haunting piano.

Visually, I’d want a moonrise over Denali or Half Dome, followed by stills of my cats, students and wife. Then a final shot of Michelle Trachtenberg, naked. :smiley:

Crap! We really need an edit feature. “Forty Days”

Hm… there are probably a lot of posibilities, but I think I’d love to listen to the second half of Abby Road, and have it end right before ‘Her Majesty’.

That would be pretty satisfying, IMHO.

Cool selection, silenus, that’s definitely one of my favorite Brubeck tunes.

Thank you. It amazes me that the whole world doen’t have this tune as #1 on their iPods. Dave and Paul and Gene and Joe bought their way into heaven with this one.

Stairway to Heaven. Or Don’t Fear the Reaper.

I’m keeping my options open.

Magic Fire Music from Wagner’s Der Walkure

Not sure on the film yet.

I’m not into a deep selection, just one that always makes me happy. I’ll take Moulin Rouge, both video and audio, until Chaper 32 on the DVD. The Willow Cut.

The music is definately Happy Rhodes’ live rendition of ‘Into the West’. As for the film… Lemme work on that. My first reaction is the ‘Superman’ scene from Iron Giant.

Music:

Ludwig von Beethoven 5th, 7th, 9th Symphonies

Rick Wakeman: Judas Iscariot, ending to Return to the Center of the Earth

Johann Sebastian Bach’s Little Fugue in G as performed by Walter/Wendy Carlos
Visual: I dunno. Maybe the Space Trip scenes from 2001: a Space Odyssey

Perfectly Complete, by Paul Clark, Songs from the Savior Vol. II album
Token of Faith, from Armenian Liturgical Chants album
To the One Who Knows by Yanni (It’s the only Yanni that I like-really!!)
The Promise, by Michael Nyeman

For video, I’d have a lot of cuts from “The Day the Earth Froze,” a lot from “The Robe,” and a lot from Branagh’s “Much Ado About Nothing.” Don’t know how to match the Audio w/ Video. Watta ya gonna do, kill me?

hh

Roy Rogers and Dale Evans - Happy Trails to You

If I’m off my meds, Rolling Stones - Paint It Black

Viens, Malika from the opera Lakme

Excellent choice of music! I know just the film to go with it: The Hunger. Susan Sarandon and Catherine Deneuve… :cool:

A couple of ultra-favourites:

The **Sanctus ** from the *Missa Papae Marcelli * by Palestrina.

The third **Agnus Dei ** from the *Missa L’Homme Armé Sexti Toni * by Josquin des Prés.

Rachmininoff’s Symphony #2 and Piano Concerto #3, played/conducted by Ashkenazy.

And the pre-9/11 view of Lower Manhattan from the top of the Empire State Bldg.

And of course, that would be spelled Rachmaninoff, when I’m not half asleep.

Into the Mystic - Van Morrison

So many great choices. Beethoven’s Ninth, Debussy’s “Clair de Lune,” or BOC’s “Don’t Fear the Reaper”?

Any of those would be suitable, but I just might also go for the little acoustic guitar tune “Horizons,” (side B, track 1) of Genesis’ Foxtrot album. Only a minute and a half or so, but very pretty.

Imagine by John Lennon for the song and the boat ride down the chocolate river during the original Willy Wonka.