When asked who you're voting for...

… do you tell the truth, make up something silly, or insist that you value the secret ballot more than a pollster’s chosen profession?

I understand why opinion polls exist, but I hate them. I want to be able to lie straight-faced. But I’d probably just refuse to answer. Still I’d love to skew the results just because.

For the record, I’ve never been asked. Generally when a phone pollster calls, I tell them I’m not interested and I hang up. Yeah, I’m an old grouch. So sue me! :stuck_out_tongue:

My response is “I choose not to answer such a personal question. Is there any particular reason you ask?”

Of course, if it’s a pollster, there is a particular reason for asking, but still, it helps steer the convo in a different direction, or blows them off. Either one will work.

I’m tempted to say “Whoever you ARE NOT polling for”
but I usually hang up.

Brian

I’ve been asked in school (I’m a teacher), and I tell the kids that I don’t answer that question. (Same answer, btw, that I give when asked about other personal things; e.g. girlfriends, religious views, etc.)

What I’m dreading is someone from the family asking. Most in my family are moderate republicans (NE republicans, if you will); a few are staunch republicans. However, not a one of them would ever vote for a democrat. (Lieberman’s gotten praise, and they would have voted for him if there was a McCain / Lieberman ticket, but that’s about it.)

I answer the question truthfully if it’s a poster. Not because of any general integrity–I’ve been known to create long involved lies just to see how big I can blow the bubble before it pops–but because I feell that each poll result supporting Senator Obama hurts Senator McCain’'s campaign that much more.

As for my family, I tell them the truth because it astounds them so, and it’s fun to watch.

I tell the truth. I don’t see any reason not to. It’s lead to some slightly uncomfortable conversations with people who disagree, but I don’t mind arguing politics. Despite my sig line, I actually live my life pretty openly.

I’d tell the truth. To each his own and all that…

At work (other than a few carefully selected colleagues that I know don’t get all crazy over politics) my answer is Mickey Mouse. I work in a very conservative field and there’s no point in potentially offending someone who would make a stink.

If you don’t want to answer, all you have to say is “No thank you. I do not participate in political polls”. And then hang up.

I usually tell the truth, unless I know the person asking the Q, and I know they have an agenda (ie: one of my few uberconservative freinds or family members), and so then I tell them I’m not really that informed yet, but I plan on studying the issues to make a choice when the time comes around. And then I politely smile and nod as they make their points, and hopefully we can just change the topic altogether.

But a random stranger comes up and asks me? I’ll tell 'em the truth, regardless of who i think they’re likely to vote for or try to convince me of who to vote for.

“I never vote for; I always vote against.”

In the case of polls, I’m usually honest, though not in a way the pollster expects. I once told one, “I would vote for my dog before I’d vote for Candidate X.” Of course, I may change my mind between the time of the poll and the election.

In as paranoid tones as I can manage, I ask why they want to know; I sometimes ask what will happen to me if I give the wrong answer.

If it’s a poll I tell the truth. Otherwise, nobody needs to ask, they already know. Almost everyone I’m in contact with is either gay, Jewish or black, so Obama is assumed, unless a person indicates otherwise (rare).

The only people who ask me, are people who do not know me and know that I’m a foreign national. I then tell them that I do not vote.

I was raised that it’s bad manners to inquire as to someone’s vote. I think that I have only discussed my vote with one person.

I will generally tell a polltaker on the phone, but amongst my friends, we’ve mostly found it best to not really discuss our beliefs. We’ve already had those discussions over the years, and no matter how friendly and spirited the exchanges, well, nobody’s ever changed their minds, so, what’s the point?

I tell everyone i’m voting for the candidate that will rat fuck the moral majority, and the next deciding factor is if they are fiscally responsible.

no party affiliation.

I don’t recall anyone ever asking me.

I’ve never encountered a poll-taker, but I’d be more than happy to have my opinion counted in that case. Personal inquiries are rare since living in NYC and working in the arts it’s sort of a given.

Interesting – I spent the morning & early afternoon asking people this question at their doors. Same on Monday & Tuesday.

But everybody was very polite to me (‘Minnesota nice’). Even those who told me they planned to vote for the other candidate were nice – several of them thanked me for working to register voters.

Most people answer the question, and seem to do so honestly. Some (about 1/6th, I’d estimate) decline to answer. But politely. Some people are genuinely undecided. I’ve never had anyone respond with a snarky answer like ‘whoever you’re NOT working for’ or anything like that. Maybe it’s harder to do that face-to-face instead of on the phone. Rarely, people will say they don’t like either of them – but then they usually go on to name the one that they guess they’ll have to vote for.

The only other name people mention is Hilary Clinton – months after it was decided, 25 days to the election, and people are still naming her as the one they wanted to vote for. (And it’s mostly men saying this!)

Very seldom am I asked why I’m asking who they support. I’d think it’s pretty obvious, since I’m wearing a candidate’s button and I identify myself and who I’m volunteering for in my first sentence. I just answer honestly; that we want to know our supporters, so we can call and remind them to vote on election day.

I’ve never been asked in person – my snarky answer (which I’ve never actually used) was for phone calls (esp if its the third one I’ve recieved that night)

Brian

Growing up, my father would never tell us kids who he was voting for, and when asked, would tell us that the secret ballot is the foundation of a democratic society (those exact words). This was maddening when I was a kid … but now that’s what I say when people ask me! (which goes to show, I suppose, that I’m turning into my annoying parents)