When did America *stop* being "great?" (If you believe it to be the case)

Then why don’t we feel “great”?

Everyone knows China most of the fighting and dying, as the Soviets did in Europe.

When we embarked on a course of systematic extermination of Native Americans, and after it supposedly stopped, we continued to keep them in abject poverty and deny them citizenship.

When we embraced slavery.

When we incarcerated our own citizens in war camps during WWII.

There are many instances of this country falling woefully short of being great, but having lived, worked and traveled in the 3rd world, I’ll still take it over most anywhere else.

What happened on this date?

The government of Bangladesh flees to India.
Sierra Leone becomes a republic.
The Soviet Union launches Salyut 1.
Followers of Charles Manson, the Manson Family, are sentenced to death in the gas chamber.
Vietnam Veterans Against the War begin a five-day demonstration in Washington, D.C.
75th Boston Marathon won by Alvaro Mejia of Colombia in 2:18:45.
That week of April people in US were listening to Joy To The World by Three Dog Night.
In UK Hot Love by T Rex was in the top 5 hits.
Summer of '42, directed by Robert Mulligan, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1971
The Passions Of The Mind by Irving Stone was one of the best selling books.

BIRTHDAYS:
You Hee-yeol: South Korean singer-songwriter (Toy)
Gad Elmaleh: Most famous French humourist, actor, and film director, born to David Elmaleh, a jewish Moroccan mime artist, and to a French (Régine Aymard)
Otis Scott: in Gainesville, Florida, USA; 400 metre/800 metre runner

Holidays:
Republic Day (Sierra Leone).
Declaration of Independence Day (Venezuela).
Bicycle Day.
The Roman holiday of Cerealia ends. (Roman Empire)

Am I missing something? Is it your birthday?

Is a cerealia like a bacchanalia for carb-phobes, a brief annual outburst of otherwise-forbidden bread-eating without guilt? :stuck_out_tongue:

Methinks it was a joke.

No one’s posted my answer from the other thread?When Wolf Blitzer replaced Walter Cronkite as America’s premier news anchor.

I’m not usually into the patriotism of calling the country great. I appreciate the good, not the bad, and there’s always been bad. And the good is generally getting better. But, in the spirit of this thread:

Whenever we made the change in seeing freedom of speech as “You have the right to share your offensive opinion” to “Nobody has the right to be offended.” When the purpose of speech changed to being offensive, rather than just sharing an idea that happened to offend.

Or–whenever fucking mass shootings became something that doesn’t shock us anymore. The Orlando shooting actually didn’t faze me at all. Not because I don’t have compassion for the people, but because I’d just gotten to the point where hearing about a shooting became a “huh.” moment instead of an “oh no!” moment.

I’m talking initial reaction here, BTW. I still think it’s a horrible tragedy, and feel for all who it affected.

June 15th, 1215 … Julian

I don’t understand the idea that because more soviets died they were somehow more valuable. Nobody ever won a war by dying.

:smack:

It wasn’t just the dying - they also did most of the killing. Somewhere around 80% of all German military death in WW2 were on the Eastern Front.

I don’t get it either. Is it a counter reaction to the “America fuck yeah!” attitude a lot of people have? That building up the Soviet’s contribution means that America’s must be subsequently reduced?

That somehow saying that more Soviets died means they contributed more to the war effort? Maybe keeping the Nazis’ otherwise occupied on the Eastern Front did do a lot to end the war, but it wasn’t like the Soviet’s strategy was something awesome.

Just because they send wave after wave of people to be killed by Nazi Kill-bots, until the Kill-bots reached their kill limits and shut down, doesn’t mean it was a great contribution.

Uh huh.

OK ya got me.

But “keeping them occupied” by lining up to be shot still is not sound strategy. They just had more people than the Nazis had bullets.

Credible cite, please.

:smack: Oh, for fuck’s sake. Do you know anything about WW2?

For nearly two years, Stalin had been badgering the UK & USA to open a “second front” against Nazi Germany. This was to relieve pressure on the Eastern Front - not the other way around.

And the Soviets didn’t beat the Germans by just throwing bodies at them - they learned the Germans’ tactics and strategy, and then beat them at their own game.

When they gave the green light for police officers to unlawfully kill innocent people, that’s when :smack:

Shame on the US police!

That never happened.

Anybody who thinks the cops just started shooting people in the last few years is pretty naive. The change isn’t that cops are shooting everyone now, the change is that everyone has a video camera in their pocket now.

When the hippy sixties generation got a little older and started taking over.