When did elementary/high-school teachers stop teaching the two-brain hypothesis for Stegosaurus

At the Museum of Natural History the other day, I remarked to my wife that I was taught (in the 1960s) that some dinosaurs had two brains. (See discussion here for details). My wife (similar vintage) thought I was nuts (which is common enough), was sure she was never taught such a thing, and found it hard to believe anyone seriously believed it. I was vindicated when we actually came to the stegosaurus fossil, and sure enough, they referenced the faulty belief.

What I can’t determine, however, is a) when the hypothesis was discarded by dinosaur experts and b) when this information trickled down to the level of elementary/secondary schools. Anyone know?

A ganglion (the bundle of nerves near the Stego’s hips) isn’t a “brain” per se.

So, were you taught this in elementary school? If, so, when? :stuck_out_tongue:

I was taught this sometime between 1986 and 1990.

Is/was this actually taught in school at all? I was in elementary school in the '70s (when this “theory” was still in vogue), and none of my teachers said a word about dinosaurs (specifically, stegosaurs) having two brains, much less dinosaurs at all (other than maybe that they existed). Everything I learned about dinosaurs back then came from individual reading, not formal instruction.

It wasn’t until the “dinosaur renaissance” of the '80s that I recall the whole two-brained stegosaurs thing began disappearing from popular dinosaur books of the time.

I heard this in school in the early 60’s, possibly as early as 1st grade, and only in the ‘fun facts’ kind of way. But my recollection is that in actual biology classes in Jr. and Sr. high school this was discussed as a nerve center, and compared to the solar plexus, not a brain.