When Did the Last American WWI Serviceman Die?

Or even the last WWI serviceman period. I lived in Albuquerque from 1990-91, and the local newspaper ran a story on a still-living WWI veteran. But he was catatonic. I believe his family took care of him. I even remember a photo showing him just sitting in a chair staring at the wall. I’m sure he has passed on by now. But until what year were there still veterans?

from google and Wikipedia

Florence Green
Supported by multiple sources
The last living veteran of World War I (28 July 1914 – 11 November 1918) was Florence Green, a British citizen who served in the Allied armed forces, and who died 4 February 2012, aged 110. The last combat veteran was Claude Choules who served in the British Royal Navy (and later the Royal Australian Navy) and died 5 May 2011, aged 110.

the last American ww1 vet
Frank Buckles. Frank Woodruff Buckles (born Wood Buckles, February 1, 1901 – February 27, 2011) was a United States Army corporal and the last surviving American military veteran of World War I.

Doh! Now that you mention it, I remember Frank Buckles. I was even going to start a thread on him in 2011 but someone beat me to it. Completely forgo.

*forgot

Wow, sad that they are all gone now. When I was a kid in the 80s, we still had a few Spanish American war vets kicking around. There were still hundreds of thousands of WWi vets, and of course legions of WW2, Korea, and Vietnam vets.

Well, when I was a kid …

I remember seeing pics of living Civil War veterans in a magazine. (No doubt at least one of them being a fraud. :()

Both my grandfathers were in the US Army in WWI. Neither went overseas but one came close: His unit was shipping out to France but he came down with Spanish Flu. By the time he was well enough the war ended.

Both long gone.

All the men in my family of age served in WWII. All of them are gone now. The last died a couple years ago.

One family member served during Korea (at home) as well as WWII so included in the above.

A few family members served during Viet Nam, two going overseas (Viet Nam and Thailand). All are dead or retired. The idea that Viet Nam era vets are the senior war time family members now is weird.