When did the Olympics get nekkid?

It’s easier than shaving their legs.

It’s not just swimmers – it is speed typists too. I’m wearing a full bodysuit right now.

Yeah, but unless you’re also using a Dvorak keyboard, it’s pointless.

Bah – you kids today with your fancy keyboards and aerodynamic typing helmets. When will you learn it’s not about flashy technology – it is about the human spirit.

You know what I found amazing? How many of the guys running track were…er… letting it all hang out. And I mean ALL. Some of those guys looked like they were just waiting to pose for Playgirl, judging by how well their dangly bits were dangling. And flopping as they ran. With the clingy Lycra making sure that we could see the outline of EVERYTHING. Including whether they dress right or left. Or just stuff it all in the middle. Oy.

It just seems somehow uncomfortable and impractical. Of course, I’m not complaining about the views, mind you, just wondering how it wouldn’t hurt to have it all flapping around when you’re running down the track.

I seem to recall hearing about one guy in a unter-olympics competition who’s swimming trunks came off as he was swimming; he went on to win the race, but was disqualified. It seems unfair. As he put it “If it had been backstroke, I would have stopped.”

Which begs the question, would the increased aerodynamic efficiency of not wearing any clothes, i.e, The Naked Advantage ™ been offset by penis drag? Why have there been no studies conducted here? I believe there are quite a few woman scientists willing and able to subject this subject to intensive scrutiny. Prolly some guy scientists as well.

Waiting for Otto to declare himself a scientist

I’m never going to conduct or search for one of those studies, but I’d guess being naked might not make much difference but probably couldn’t help. Perhaps it would if your wang acted as a rudder… :dubious:

You mean like this?

For those of you dissappointed in the original olympics having only naked men, fear not: I’m pretty sure there were lots of nubile naked young women roaming all over the place, nto as competitors, but as various odd jobs and eye candy.

In ancient Greece? Not so sure it’d be naked women used as eye candy…

Stupid sexy Flanders!

I, for one, welcome our nude Olympic overlords.

Yeah, that’s fucked up, and not because it’s unfair to straight women and gay men. It’s just so… weird… that they can’t choose their attire, and that the rules for the genders are so different. Most male beach volleyball players want to play bare-chested, but aren’t allowed to. Strange.

Oh, and smiling bandit? No there weren’t.

Australia’s beach volleyballers call for topless (male) competitors (and male go-go dancers.) I, for one, support their call for, uhh, equality.

When I saw the photos of the Aussie swimmer guy in the pool covered head to toe in a full-body suit, I thought “WTF??? Where’s the little Speedo?”

First person to answer “in his suit!” gets punched on the arm.

Y’know, thanks to this thread, the most enduring image I have of the Olympics is a bunch of guys wearing a full-body lycra suits and aerodynamic helmets kinda like the one worn by the Rocketeer, all of them typing furiously at Dvorak keyboards.

Thanks a lot, people.

Actually, women were not only not allowed to compete, they were not allowed to attend (there may have been exceptions at some points in time for pre-pubescent girls).

With the ancient Olympics, not only was there the ‘olympic spirit’ for sport, but, foreign to most modern people’s way of thinking, there was a love for the perfect human form in all its natural and naked glory, and, especially for the male form (especially by other men). [Oh yeah, the injurious violence and militarism of the ancient games would tend to stand out as odd from the modern perspective.]

Yes, the men were oiled, but then they were ‘sanded’ by a light clay powder. They didn’t glisten. You’ll have to alter your mental images on that one.

The more of the human form that the modern Olympics show (whether lycra clad or naked), the more it recaptures the original Olympic spirit.

My surprise was about seven years ago when I realized that guys were going commando in their wrestling singlets. If there was a sport that one would think that a cup would be mandatory, you’d think wrestling would be it.

With regard to the sprinters and genital flapping… it seems that the flapping would actually help to increase speed. That is because trying to “lock it down” would cause it to get in the way of the powerful and thick thigh muscles modern sprinters tend to have. Long distance runners tend to wear shorts.

<scratching head> So, male beach volleyballers have to wear shorts and a tank top while male divers can wear a sliver of lycra? Odd.

Peace.

Evil Captor, I volunteer to take part in the study as a researcher.

A fella in Goose Creek, SC, told me the difference between “naked” and “nekkid.”

“Naked” means you got no clothes on.

“Nekkid” means you got no clothes on and yer up to sumpin.

Well, male divers have worn Speedos for a long time. Most of the male divers I saw in this Olympics were kind of skinny, but Despatie was an Adonis. I say that as a straight guy. Lord, he made the other guys look awful underdeveloped. :eek: