When did you realize something was dirty?

Inspired by this thread I can't believe they got away with that! - Cafe Society - Straight Dope Message Board and the Simpsons in general given that tiny little children growing up watching it are now actual walking around adults (god I’m so old). But it could go for anything.

What double entendres, innuendos, or even out and out smuttiness did you only pick up on years later?

Well I didn’t get many jokes from the first Austin Powers movie. At 6 years old, all I could care about was Mike Meyers having the same name as me.

Well, when I read the title I thought it was about cleaning, so I guess I am a little slow about this kind of thing. Also, it took me until watching Austin Powers for a 5th time to figure out his chest hair is shaped like a penis.

Is it really?

You were 6 when it first came out? Holy crap.

Now I feel old.

(and I’m one of those kids the OP was talking about, that grew up watching the Simpsons. More or less.

I don’t have any examples to add though, off the top of my head.)

Well there you go. You realized at 11:32. My work here is done.

Yeah, I was only 9 when I saw this film and I didn’t pick on anything. I was one of those disgustingly innocent children though.

Heh. That same year, my older sister had me go up to her boyfriend and say “You know… my sister fakes all of her orgasms.”

I didn’t have a clue what it meant for years, but the look on his face was priceless. I still get embarrassed just thinking about it now. :o

I recently saw Indiana Jones and the Holy Grail, and it was probably the first time I watched it all the way through in 10-15 years. This time around I realized that Indiana and his dad both had sex with the crypto-Nazi. I was hardly the most naive child, but the innuendo was too subtle.

Ditto. God, I think I have shirts older than them. And I still use software written before they probably knew how to read. :frowning:

I am ancient, decrepit, and disintegrating rapidly.

You can put me on that list, too.

The first time I recall having an adult thought because of some movie was in that silly movie where the monsters came out of the toilet. Ghoulies, I think. Anywaym I was maybe 10 years old, and the main boy and girl were making out…he was kissing all over her chest. I was watching with some kids that were quite a few years older than me - like 17-18. Anyway, as the kids on TV were doing this, one of the Ghoulies came out of the toilet and I said, quite loudly, “Nice timing.” All of the older kids were like, “Mika, wow, you get that?”

That was also my first sarcastic moment.

I never realized Night Court was so risqué until seeing it in reruns years later. I remember thinking the character of Dan Fielding was silly and funny, but didn’t understand what his “chasing after ladies” really involved. I remember an episode where he got another lawyer to go to bed with him (he won a rigged bet or something), and she did everything she could not to have him connsumate the evening…I just remember thinking she looked hilarious in her granny nightcap and gown, and didn’t realize what activity she was actually trying to discourage!

For the first 18 or so years of my life I thought the Beatles’ “Drive My Car” was a nearly-innocent metaphor for romantic love. Then, for the next 12 years, I made fun of the phrase “Drive My Car” in the expected way, and it was made all the funnier by my understanding that I was perverting the meaning of an innocent song. Then, I realized that the Beatles’ probably meant all the innuendo :smack:

I was listening to George Carlin and Steve Martin starting when I was 11. Steve Martin does a routine talking about a friend of his taking singing lessons from an 80-year-old man…

"…the last guy in the world you’d think would be weird.

But listen to this.

He wanted her to sing …

… from her diaphragm!! I mean, that would take YEARS to learn!"

My tiny brain: “But isn’t that how you’re supposed to sing? Why is that funny?”

Cut to me at 16, listening to the same tape:

“OH!!! Her DIAPHRAGM!”

I have no excuse other than the fact that I didn’t hear it very much from about 1980 to 1995, but until I was in my mid-20s, I had a naive notion that “Afternoon Delight” by Starland Vocal Band was about ice cream.

I’ve told this story a couple of times, but I’ll share it here, too, because it seems appropriate:

Hubby came home from work and told me that day they’d had Sensitivity Training.

“What sort?” I asked.

“Oh, you know, the usual. Teaching people not to use racial epithets like ‘kike’ and ‘nigger’ and 'spic.”

“‘Spic’ is a racial epithet?” I asked, puzzled.

All my life, I had thought a “spic” was a mean way of referring to person who was uber-compulsive about keeping their house clean. As in “Spic & Span.” Thank God I’d never used it.

When I was about seven, my grandfather came in from the garden where he’d been picking cucumbers. He had forgotten to take a basket out with him, so he was carrying some in his hat and he had them shoved in all of his pockets. I chirped out a line I had heard in a movie: “Is that a cucumber in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?”

He thought it was hilarious, but my grandmother was shocked, and gave me one of those outraged gasps of hers. I had no idea what I’d said, but I never used that line again.

6??? Are you 15 years old?

I don’t just feel old…I feel ancient. That movie is still a new movie to me.

Um…what innuendo? I’ve never taken the song as metaphor…if you do, what the heck does “I’ve got no car and it’s breakin’ my heart” imply?

Every single sexual thing in Grease until I was 20. Which beasically means I didn’t understand about half the movie, and didn’t even know I didn’t understand it.

Well, I can’t really fathom any double meaning for that particular line, after all the song is also about a real car (or so it seems.) Unless you wanna get excessively Freudian… (which I don’t)

Damn, so close to being the first Grease post.

But, yeah, I didn’t realize how dirty it was until high school when my friend’s older brother sang “Greased Lightning” at karaoke. As the lyrics came up on screen – verse after verse – my face went: :slight_smile: :confused: :eek: :smiley: