When do you start to feel "old"?

Count me in with the folks who feel young and old at the same time. It crushed me to realize that a kid I remembered being born was handing me an invitation to his high school graduation. Then I reminded myself he considers me a little wild and more than a bit crazy, comes to me to find out about new music, etc. Doesn’t make turning thirty any fun, though. Jeebus, wasn’t I just twenty a week ago?

(you just didn’t have the right person standing behind you):eek:

sorry - for some reason, I’m feel more 12 than 41 today :wink:

At the mall one day, checkin’ out this cutie when she turned, looked deeply into my eyes and said “can I help you SIR?”, well I looked around quickly to see where my father was and I realized that she was speaking to me!, in our conversation I discovered that this hot, hardbodied angel that I was having all manner of nasty thoughts about… wait for it… WAS BORN THE YEAR I GRADUATED HIGH SCHOOL!!! AAAAAAAAAAAH!!!, PERV ALERT!!!, bring on the walker, it’s over.

unclviny

I’m 36. When do I feel old?

Yesterday, when I was standing at the liquor store counter and the purchase age calendar said you had to be born by Febrary 1, 1982 to buy. 1982? My god! Someone born in the Reagan years can drink now?

When I realized that I’m now going to bed at the same time I used to go out when I was in college.

Every weekend when, rather than sleeping in till noon (which I did in my 20s), I wake up by 7 because I have too much to do and I don’t want to waste a day.

On the drive home when I listen to NPR rather than the music stations because “so much of it is just noise.” (Good grief, do I really think that?)

While shopping for clothing and I realize that I like nothing in the store. Not only that, but I realize I didn’t like it the first time it was in style!

When I’m watching TV and discover that most of the hot celebrities and athletes are much younger than I am.

When I re-read books I used to love (like “Catcher in the Rye”) and discover the character I used to admire seems like a complete jerk!

A schoolkid stood up for me on the train and offered his seat. I know it wasn’t because he thought I was cute.

The worst bit? I was incredibly grateful because I really needed it! I hate needing it.

Earlier tonight I had dinner with some friends. They are aged between 20 and 23.

Last night I was at a party with a girlfriend. She is 43.

My last long (ish) relationship was with a girl, now 24.

I have not driven my car for over a year.

I live in a small apartment, but I travel to many countries.

When I go out I go to clubs where they play house, techno and jazz. ( I am starting to like the quiet mellow stuff, served with a glass of fine scotch).

My clothes range from tailored suits to smart casual; sport/leisure gear I hate.

I have three exams in the next month, two essays in the next week and my Bachelors Thesis to hand in and defend.

I am overweight but my bones don’t creak.

I can still walk all day and love skiing.

I will soon have to think about growing up. After all am getting old!

I am 41 years old!

I am old and young, but then I chose to be!

Somebody told me that we should remain child-like but not childish. I remembered that four years ago. Sold my business and started geting younger!

Try it. :slight_smile:

Yep, the “you must be born on or before this date to purchase alcoholic beverages” sign was what got me - when I realized the date on the sign was the date I graduated from high school.

However, my daughter, who will be THIRTEEN in less than two weeks, grumbles that I am “not like other moms - you look too much like a teenager.”

How I feel about my age depends on who I’ve encountered during the day.

(38)

Last May I went to a retirement party for the teacher I had in sixth grade. Thirty-five years ago I was in his first class, and the following summer he had invited the whole class to his wedding. He’s a grandfather now. I’m 48, and do I feel old.

Sometime in my early 30s.

Time was I would never get back to my hotel in Lost Wages till 3 or 4am.  Now, when it's about 11:30pm, I'm pooped out and just want to get to bed.  

I abhor crowds now, particularly the ones at concerts. I find myself growling things like, “These young people and their behavior…”

:rolleyes:

I’m 37. I started to feel old around 35. Why?

1. I recognize popular band names, and I recognize songs, but I’m having a very difficult time matching up the groups with their respective songs. Before 35, it wasn’t much of a problem, but modern rock no longer seems relevant … it doesn’t seem like mine. If I heard a song on some “Edge” or “Extreme Rock” station, I couldn’t tell if it was Creed, Korn, Limp Bizkit, or some other popular alternative band.

2. I started to have a difficult time guessing the age of women in my peer group. Women in their early 30s still didn’t look much different than those in their mid-to-late 20s. However, in their mid-30s, some women get crow’s feet, power hair, and other superficial trappings of someone who, in my mindset, should be much older. Women who I think might be 32 or 33 are actually 25, while women who I think are 43 or 44 are actually 37 or 38. It’s hard to explain.

3. When I visit nightlife districts in various cities, I’m increasingly finding myself much older than the crowds around me. Thirtysomething women and men aren’t out on the town. They’re home taking care of the kids.

4. My concept of “a lot of money” is skewed much farther upwards than just a few years earlier. The checks I’m writing are much, much larger. House down payments, for example … it’s scary walking around with a check in your pocket that’s the equivalent of your pre-tax annual salary. When I bought my car a year ago, the dealer took a personal check … one with five digits left of the decimal point. Ten years earlier, a tax refund check for a few hundred bucks made me feel like Croseus.

5. Dating. In my 20s, I seldom met women with children. In my early 30s, it was common to date women with a young child. Now, some women in my age group have teenage kids or a youngin in colelge, and I’ve met (but not dated) a couple of women in their late-30s who are grandparents … they had a daughter when they were 17 or 18, who had a kid when they were 17 or 18. Seems like I was 32 or 33 when the majority of single women I started to encounter had kids.

6. Pills. Didn’t take any in my early 30s. Now, I have a little daily pill reminder case. Other systems are breaking down … a couple of weeks ago, during a trip to the dentist, I found out that many of my childhood fillings are now on their last legs, and that I need a couple of crowns. Crowns? I don’t have British teeth! That’s something the elderly get!

1. I concur. Old.

I’m turning 36 in a month or so, and when I realized that I’m twice as old now as when I graduated from High School, I felt old.

I mean, that first 18 years went by so slowly! But the last 18? Zoom, watch out, they just sped by.

That and the gray hairs, “regularity”, periodic spasming back and inability to sleep past 8 AM…these are the things that make me feel old.

Damn, I think I need to plan a trip to Disneyland soon.

I’m 41, and don’t feel “old.” But among the milestones that made me realize “you ain’t young!,” are

1. Looking through the Yankees’ yearbook in 1984, and realizing that Don Mattingly was younger than I was.

2. Looking at the Billboard charts in 1996, and realizing for the first time, “I don’t know who ANY of these people are!” Thank God for the occasional comeback by someone like Santana, or I’d be as clueless about current pop music as my parents were about Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath.

3. Seeing Don Mattingly play in the Yankees’ “Old Timers Day” game!

I recognized and bought a beer for my elementary school principal when I saw him across the bar.

Oh my, yes - me too. My current vehicle was a cash purchase. It felt really, really weird to hand the salesman a check for THAT MUCH money - out of my own checkbook. And they TOOK it. And it CLEARED!

Suddenly, I’m feeling older…

The plaid pants, white belt and the Cadillac can’t be far away now. :rolleyes:

Also 27.
when I see the Olsen twins on T.V. nowadays I realize that they have become old enough to be regarded as hot and might appear nude in a movie in a few years, (sigh) I just need a hug…
On the plus side, the sheer amount of things I know and know how to do rules!
Would you believe it wasn’t untill 2 years ago that I finally mastered the yo-yo?

I’ve already had my mid-life crisis, I think. Maybe I’m destined to die young.

I note a lot of the old-people characteristics people mention, like hating modern popular music and not caring about how I look, apply to me, while they definitely didn’t a few years ago.

I can feel my body getting worse for the wear already.

Still, I don’t think “old” begins until 65 or so. I have time left.

And, uh,

no comment. :o

No, really. I’m done with my youth. It’s been over since I was about 16 and a half.

In the last eight months, I graduated from medical school, bought a house, started a respectable job, and got married. You could say I feel old.

I don’t go out bar hopping too much anymore, but that’s mostly because the people I hang around with don’t. I’m not up on popular music, but I haven’t been since high school. I’m always on the search for new music. I’ve never been in good shape, so there’s nothing to miss there.

The first thing that really did it for me was lawn care. The day I went and purchased a bag of mulch, I got that eerie, "oh-shit-I’m-turning-into-my-dad chill down my spine.

Watching “Joe Millionaire” did it for me, realizing that most of those women were considerably younger than me. Discovering that Ryan Adams, one of my favorite musicians, was only a few months older than me didn’t sit well, either; he’s made half a dozen brilliant albums by this age, and what have I done? (“You went to medical school,” a friend of mine said when I mentioned this to her. I like to think this is the sole reason that I have not made half a dozen brilliant albums before now. :slight_smile: )

I, too, am 27. This seems to be a fairly common “Shit! I’m old!” age.

I got old years ago. I was walking down the street, I was about 18, I saw some kids playing in a yard. They stopped their playing until I had passed. I remembered doing that when an adult would walk by when I was a kid. I was old that day.
inside, I’m 15…& I’m male!:smiley:

This seems like an apt thread for me, due to an incident this morning while looking in the mirror. After showering and drying my hair, I started studying myself in the mirror. I knew there was a bare spot in the part of my hair (the upper right corner of where my hairline meets my forehead), but it suddenly seemed to be much larger. I actually experimented with different hairstyles to see if I could cover it up, but the only way to do so was to have a wickedly bad combover.

The upside is, the balder I get, the better my beard grows, and I really enjoy having facial hair (another sign I’m getting old). I’ll be 33 in two days. Other signs I’m old:

1. I know very little about popular music after the mid 1990’s, and lately have been obsessed with 60’s rock.

2. I feel like I stand out if in a crowd of young adults (18-25).

3. My right knee hurts all the time.

At sixty-four I don’t think of things like I’m really 32 inside, because to tell the truth I’ve been there and I don’t want to be 32 again or 48 for that matter. The main thing that bothers me is that I used to go years without seeing a doctor. Now it is a regular thing, because either I go see him or he doesn’t renew my prescriptions. The thing that makes me feel old has been mentioned. Here’s my favorite line that says it best.

[ul]**“You mean Paul McCartney was in a band before Wings?” **[/ul]