When does advertising become obtrusive to you?

A friend noticed that I seldom tolerate commercials. While driving I will change the radio station the moment an ad comes on, and will turn it off if I can’t find a station playing content.

Although I love film, I never go to the movies anymore because they show commercials. To me, it’s a matter of principle. I paid admission to the movie, so I shouldn’t have to sit through commercials (and I’m talking about actual commercials, not previews for other films, which I think are acceptable). I seldom watch TV, but when I do I’ll immediately hit mute as soon as a commercial begins. I’ve never once clicked on a banner ad, partly because I block most of them and partly because I’ve trained myself to ignore them.

My friend got a bit annoyed at this as we talked about it. But I believe it’s important to resist the further encroachment of advertising. I feel that way partly because I don’t want to be overly consumerist and be tempted to buy things I don’t need, and partly because I think exposing yourself to a lot of advertising is just… bad. I feel dumbed down when forced to listen or view advertising. My question to him (an English teacher) was, suppose publishers began inserting advertisements into books - would you be OK with that? Where does it end?

Does anyone else feel this way? When does advertising cross a line for you?

I’ve become almost intolerant to even the barest hint of advertising these days. I no longer watch TV or use the radio. I consider the Internet nearly unusable without ad-block. “Free” games with advertising get deleted immediately.

Theater movies are about the only exception since there’s not much of an alternative if you want to see things on the big screen.

That makes three of us. But advertising is a symptom more than a disease.

Generally, starting about 2 months before elections.

This is a sore subject for me, as I believe we’re slowly being drowned in ads.

I chose the alternative of “not going” over paying for ads. One night, we sat thru a bunch of ads, then some previews, then the lights came up and the theater employees went thru the rows with containers collecting for some sort of charity. I lost it at that point. Repeated and angry demands for reimbursement from the manager were met with only an offer of free tickets. I haven’t set foot in a movie theater since. The movie was Star Wars Episode 1 (1999).

I fight advertising as much as I can. I don’t listen to commercial radio at all, as I’m tired of the demeaning ads and the yuck-yuck DJs. It’s either my own music or XM in the car. At home, the holder of the remote is responsible for muting ads, and as the kids have learned, you will be relieved of possession quickly if failing that duty. Normally we timeshift any commercial broadcast with the DVR so that commercials can be skipped. Mostly we just stick to Netflix though.

Where possible, I refuse to deal with businesses that broadcast ads to me while I’m transacting with them. I’ve made it clear to several managers of lunchtime restaurants that they’ve lost a customer over loud TV broadcasts (which are mostly ads) during my meal. Ditto for some pharmacies that subject me to ads in their aisles. I’ve also had a few unpleasant discussions with Drs who subject me to this crap (medical ads) while in their waiting rooms.

My problem is that the rest of the population is willing to submit to this constant instrusion, and I’m running of out places to retreat to.

At some service stations you can’t even pump your gas without having to listen to ads.

Count me as another who does everything possible to avoid seeing or hearing advertising. Of course, that’s impossible but I control it in my environment when I can.
I really resent TVs in medical or auto service waiting rooms. Grocery stores and gas stations that have screens at the registers or pumps? Do not get my business.

In some baseball stadiums, there are ads on the wall in the bullpen, which are seen by TV viewers when there is a camera shot of a relief pitcher warming up. There is advertising space sold on the railing protecting the dugout, so TV viewers will see them during camera shots of the manager strategizing contemplatively.

People have been taught to be proud of their advertising. Sports fans rave about how their stadium has a new state-of-the-art scoreboard, superior and more expensive than all other rival stadium scoreboards, which is mostly advertising space.

I knew the end was coming when Lakewood Amphitheater in Atlanta became Aaron’s Rent-A-Center Amphitheater. Sigh.

I despise being sold to.

Nothing new.

I hat the ads during the game itself. Popping up where the score is, or sponsored “ball and stiek” tracer.

Exactly what **pullin **said. If I’m one of just a few people in a waiting room I’ll ask if anyone is watching the TV / canned advertising. If nobody objects, off it goes.

As Abracadebra said: “I despise being sold to.”

I was once walking down the street, in Tokyo. I was passing through a sort of red light district, since the (perfectly clean, Disney-movie-playing) theaters in Shinjuku are completely encircled by strip clubs and pachinko parlors, and I wanted to watch a movie.

A guy stops me and, being polite, I stop to see what he wants. He asks if I want to go get a good shagging from some woman. I go back to walking. He tries to stop me again and, thinking that he had failed to communicate due to the language barrier, he cups his chest to indicate “woman” and then does a blowjob impression (complete with slurpy noises).

I found that obtrusive.

Advertising becomes obtrusive when every time you post on the SDMB you look down at an ad reading, “So, Who has the Biggest Teats in Hollywood? Click to Find Out!” :dubious:

There’s One Weird Trick, that Doctors Don’t Want You to Know, to cure that forever.*

*Paid subscription. :slight_smile:
(Does adblock render SDMB ads invisible?)

I hate ads in public washrooms, and when ads are plastered all over the insides of subway stations instead of just on the designated areas.

How many of those businesses are still around?

I don’t mind them too much, but I can understand those who are bothered by them.

However, using it as a reason not to go to the theater seems just a bit strange to me because you could just show up a bit later (after the time the previews and commercials show) and just see the movie.

Yes, yes it does.

Not really. By the middle of the “entertainment” show and so forth, they’ve started to dim the lights and the seats are pretty full. It’s a matter of great inconvenience just to avoid the babbling infotainmentising shit TV runneth over with these days.

We used to live where there was a selection of theaters, one run by a chain that was early and heavy into every advertising move, and the other that didn’t start running ads until about a year before we moved. We tried to go to the latter chain any time we could. Then they caved… and the only good choice here is more like the first. Nonstop babble, babble, babble a full 20 minutes out. I don’t even mind the straight-out advertising as much as I do the inane, encapsulated, self-serving “entertainment news” crap.

I think the sprinkles on the cherry on the whipped cream on top is that these segments always end with a recap of all the wonderful things you either saw or missed. Whisky. Tango. Fu-Foxtrot.

I can’t stand web ad browsers that cover clickable links to articles I’m trying to click on.
The ones that really get me are ones targeted because of email and text discussions I’ve had about similar or the same topic. It is downright creepy.