When will society rise to destroy this rabid corporate cramming of ads in our lives?

It can’t last forver. I’m sure I’m not the only human being sick to death of companies trying to sell me shit. Every fucking minute of every day my entertainment is interrupted by adverts for discount beds, debt-consolidation, trips to euro-discrap, cars.

How often in my entire life do I need to buy a car or a bed? Maybe four or five times in what, 75 years?

Yet I am likely to see well over twenty thousand car adverts, and at least five thousand bed adverts in my life.

Well some local jurisdictions are looking at laws for movie theatres to post two start times. One for when the ads start and one for when either the movie starts or the previews start.

It’s a small step but it is a start.

They will continue to do it as long as there’s money to be made. Whatever law is made, they’ll get around it.
The law Zebra mentioned has already been shot down in New York.

It won’t stop. Just sit back and keep on consuming quietly.

It won’t stop until it becomes unprofitable to do so. It annoyed me enough that I almost never go to the theaters anymore. Obviously, the small losses from me and others who don’t go anymore are offset by the advertisements, or they’d stop doing them. Either way, I don’t have to see them.

I also only watch TV shows on DVD, listen to CDs in my car, and use Adblock with Firefox. I bet I only see a dozen or so ads a day. It wouldn’t surprise me if in 15 years I have to wear computerized glasses and earpieces that will block out advertising.

Have you thought about purchasing Ad-B-gone Extra now with new improved cookie blocker? Buy within the next 12 minutes and we’ll knock off one full payment!

might as well get used to it because it is only going to get worse

I can’t believe in this profit-driven world that TV and radio are still free! I’m sure there will be a day when they’ll figure out a way to charge for it. Until then, we’re stuck with ads and most people are probably resigned to it. The uprising will start when the watching/listening fees do.

I have been trying to brainwash my children that Commercials are someone trying to sell you something you don’t need. And ’ if they have to advertise it it is either brand new and they want to bring attention to it or complete crap. Usually both!’
And, too quote The Onion. " Swiffer Fails to Fill the Void."
People constantly shop because they are filling some kind of void within themselves. Everyone does it. It is some kind of therapy.

Making up for that Pony the parents never got their Princess, or the fact that Mama never let her daughter wear designer togs when they were teens and it ruined her very existance…so now she only buys designer at the Big Fancy Mall.

Alot of it has to do with Product Identification. You are what you drink, et al. If you wear Polo, you are a Waspy Rich Type.

My neighbor has over 85 pairs of black shoes. No one needs so many pairs. But she hates her job and has been actively interviewing for about 5 years at any company who will return her phone calls. ( She has a masters and it very hard for her to get in the door because she is overqualified and overeducated.) She stays at a job that has caused her to start smoking at 40 and go on anti-depressants. She has a husband that can easily support her if she would just make the jump into the unknown, but she won’t. She’d rather make money at a job that is sucking her soul right out of her and making her utterly miserable. Shoes are her band-aid therapy.
Me? It use to be books. To compensate for my lack of college credentials. Then I discovered my tightwaddery self again and use the library. I’ve moved on to crafts because I have issues with being a girly girl and need to get in touch with my feminine side, dammit. :smiley:
Thats my opinion. I could be wrong. But I doubt it. :smiley:

You clearly must not have cable or satellite TV or XM radio. They’ve already figured out a way to charge for it.

I predict that one day, advertising will become so pervasive that people will just stop noticing it—completely undermining the point of advertising in the first place.

The economy and western civilization will collapse shortly after. :smack:

Me too. Only I’m boycotting the theatres because of the ridiculous prices they charge to show mostly complete crap.

I block ads online; all spam that makes it through the filters goes directly into my trash; I shred junkmail without even opening the envelopes; I rarely read magazines anymore because they’re mostly ads anyway; and I watch my favorite programs on DVR fastforwarding through the commercials. I only pay attention to ads when someone mentions a neat one. I find them useful for entertainment purposes only and then not even that often.

How could I possibly know what to buy and where to shop? Word. Of. Mouth. Either IRL or online (epinions, amazon.com reviews, here, etc.) If something’s good enough for hundreds, nay thousands, of people to gushwrite about it (I’m looking at you, Dyson), I must own it. Even if I can’t afford it. And I have no carpet.

I digress.

So, why don’t they just start paying people to rave about products. It works on me. No, not you self-absorbed celebrities and second-rate waiters. Real people. Like me. Heck, I’ll rave. I could use the money. Oh, Caaaannnooon… I await your email. New Balance, I got ya covered. Ford, better look elsewhere.

Surely you didn’t expect this entire thread to ad-free, didya? ::: ducks and runs :::

Actually, there was an article in TIME a while back that described exactly that. Apparently people are paid to promote their products in public places, without seeming like they are.

Personally, I’ve practically tuned out ads. Hell, I don’t even know what most commericals are selling anymore. If I mention a commerical to someone, it’s because I find it funny, but strangly enough, I can never for the life of me remember what these funny commericals are selling.

Commericals before movies in theaters annoy the crap out of me, but the ones on TV I find a mixed blessing. They may be annoying, but I also look at them as a perfect oppurtunity to go use the toliet or something like that.

I am regularly infuriated by various advertising. Not a day goes by that I am not at least mildly p.o.'d with some form of it.
The interesting (and very sad) part is how the younger generation just takes all this stuff for granted. Their world has always been permeated with advertising.
It’s no big deal for them to go to a concert sponsored by a beer or soft drink corporation.
I grew up in a world where there were no malls with hallways filled with special structures designed for adverts, grocery carts were bare, and the Sunday comics were neither attached to, nor folded up inside sheets and sheets of advertising. (I really like my Sunday comics, and every week I am disheartened by the manner in which I must extract them.)
People tell me that we have all of this advertising because it works.
I am just not convinced. Like HPL, when I watch TV (which is seldom) the commercials are for bathroom breaks. I do not listen to radio because of the obnoxious ads.
But Shirley is right, there is a pathetic amount of product identification here in the States. Between that and the mindless consumption we seem to enjoy, the ad industry is kept busy inventing new and insidious ways to attempt to part us with our earnings.

I have a big problem with online ads, like everyone.

Nowadays I have DSL. Cool, I can watch trailers for upcoming flicks online (among other things) and every few trailers, it forces you to watch an ad. You can’t skip past it, and all I want to do is watch the freakin’ trailer!

Or try listening to music online.

Yes, the society-rising-up-against part seems difficult.
You almost have to retreat from daily life in order to not be fed advertising.
The ads are slipped into online music and movie trailers the same way the Sunday comics are hidden inside the ads.
We used to get two different newspapers (both owned by same company, long story) and I did cancel one subscription and have written a letter to the editor about all the advertising.
But it all seems futile.

Huh?? :confused: :confused: I have obtained :wink: dozens of gigabytes of music online, and I haven’t heard any ads. :smiley:

I wasn’t talking about obtaining music, which I’ve also done. No, there is a legal music streaming website, can’t think of the name, that I am specifically thinking of. It plays really nice music - not radio, but music only. Except every so often you have to listen to toothpaste ads or something.

Reminds me of the great song “Lost in the Supermarket” from the Clash:

I’m all lost in the supermarket
I can no longer shop happily
I came in here for the special offer
A guaranteed personality

<snip>

I’m all tuned in, I see all the programmes
I save coupons from packets of tea
I’ve got my giant hit discotheque album
I empty a bottle I feel a bit free
Truer words were never put to music. :frowning:

Lobsang, is your real name Tyler Durden? :wink: