When the doc asks "Did you fall?" - what do they want to know?

Just say that your spouse deliberately leaves guns lying around the house for you to trip over. That’ll give 'em plenty to enter into their laptop.

Make sure to note that one of the guns is under the pillow, causing you to lose sleep!!

Of note: my doctor had not been taking my increasing bouts of light-headedness (per lowered BP and likely POTS) at all seriously even though I’d explicitly said they were becoming disabling (can’t go grocery shopping any more). Until a few weeks ago, when a bout hit me so hard as I stood up suddenly, that I stumbled and fell. I messaged her, and within 2 hours got a call saying they wanted to see me.

As someone who is dangerously clumsy on a good day, with osteopenia, falling is truly frightening.

Would have thought rakes and banana peels were more traditional.

Well shit. That’s discouraging.

Well, I’ve vented about this in the POTS thread that I started, and in the Ozempic thread. Likely a long-standing (hah) issue, that is worsening in recent years with age and most recently massively- improved blood pressure (which is supposed to be GOOD thing).

But it does illustrate the change in response, when you go from “can’t grocery shop any more” to actually falling.

“can’t grocery shop” is a big fucking deal. Your doctor should have responded to that.

Seconding. I’d be pretty ticked off at a doctor who thought that didn’t matter – or that it wasn’t a significant symptom even if somebody else can do the shopping.

Yeah. I don’t know that I was emphatic enough on the “cannot grocery shop” before the fall; I had said “becoming DISABLING” - but the fall DEFINITELY got her attention.

I had an appointment with my hematologist today, and for the first time I had to answer yes when I was asked if I’d fallen recently. A few weeks ago I was walking outside and I either tripped on a crack or my foot caught on something, and I went face and hands first to the ground. Fortunately I was able to clarify that the reason I fell was not because I lost my balance or had one of my legs buckle under me, so it was not seen as a reason to set me up for rehab or refer me to social services.

I fell twice this weekend. I was square dancing, fast, on a slippery floor. And the second time someone actually tripped me. (Not on purpose, but his foot got in the way of my leg as i was rapidly shifting my center of mass.)

I wasn’t hurt either time. The first time i kinda slid onto my hip and wasn’t even bruised. The second time someone else in the square grabbed my arm, and i didn’t actually fall, i recovered.

But I’m wondering if i ought to be concerned.

I guess I’m not seeing a doctor for a while. If i don’t fall between now and then, i won’t have fallen recently. And if i develop a habit of falling, well, i probably ought to worry.

I took a fall over the four day holiday weekend. My gf convinced me to go horseback riding. It was a perfect day weather wise and so we were out an awfully long time.

When we finally got home, I dismounted and wound up sitting on the ground. Jake was nonplused, he just looked at me.

No need to share this with my doctor (although when I joked about it my gf reminded me I need to find one since mine retired).

I have bad knees, and occasionally one of my legs will start to buckle but I always manage to catch myself before I actually fall. in recent years I’ve learned not to shift direction quickly, because this tends to upset my balance. My biggest problems are going up and down stairs and getting out of chairs, because my knees don’t like having to bend or straighten up without support. I’m generally fine with walking around the house, but I’ve learned that if I’m going outside I need to bring my cane. I was reminded of this yesterday when I went out for a quick errand and didn’t bother to take the cane; at one point I started feeling a bit wobbly (which may have also been the heat) and had to stop and stand still for a bit.

Horseback riding does a number on my knees. I wouldn’t bother reporting that, either.

It kills my hips.I only ride when my gf asks me to. She enjoys solo rides or rides with friends.

I developed ‘tennis elbow’ one spring. Had a great conversation with the doctor, and got recommendations for better hammer to use when helping friends do roofing - AND generalized advice on fall protection, etc. I can’t imagine NOT telling my doctor everything.

Last year I happened to mention to my hematologist that I was considering taking a trip to Glasgow in August, and had started checking out airfare costs. She said I should check out IcelandAir, which had recently started flying out of RDU. They have a plan where I could do a multiday layover in Iceland en route to Glasgow. I looked into it, and now (assuming I get my passport in time) I’m going to be spending three days in Iceland in addition to my week in Glasgow.

um . . . did you mean to post that in this thread?

It was in response to @vbob 's post (which I quoted) about non-medical conversations with a doctor. I was recounting a similar experience.

I would likely not report stuff related to that kind of activity, or the square dancing fall, unless it happened a lot. In the case of square dancing, it’s just bad luck / wrong place. In the case of the horse, just overuse. Though, since either kind could lead to injury if you are vulnerable (fragile bones, blood thinner, or whatever), it may be worth reporting for some patients.

Now, if you rode a lot, and fell a lot when dismounting, that might be more significant.

Feeling wobbly when out for a walk points to long-standing (hah) or developing problems that may need to be managed. As we age, falls become more common, AND pose more dangers. My in-laws both fell on numerous occasions and had to call 911 more than once. I’m lucky that, so far, none of my falls have required emergency assistance, but I am keenly aware that given my history, falls could be what kills me.

Hell, when we had our main stairs rejiggered, I told the flooring guy that we needed some kind of carpet runner (we were replacing carpeted stairs with hardwood) so that WHEN (not IF) I fell, there would be a little more padding.

Interestingly, he recommended a berber carpet - tight loops - as being less “slippery” than a traditional open-pile carpet such as was on the stairs before. I fell NUMEROUS times on those stairs, leading to at least one (foot) and likely a second (tailbone) broken bone, and have not, YET, fallen on t he new stairs (less than 4 months, so early days yet!!).