When was the last time you made somebody cry?

I got to thinking tonight. I know; it’s a dangerous thing. There are so many different ways in which we can make other people cry. So, when was the last time you made somebody cry? Was it happy, sad, or something else? Do you feel bad about it? Do you feel justified or was it no big deal? Was it an accident or on purpose?

In the interests of fairness, the last time I made somebody cry was tonight at a bar. Long story short, I said something negative about a girl’s appearance and that set off the waterworks. I didn’t want to make her cry, but I honestly didn’t feel too upset about it. I hope that doesn’t make me a bad person.

Anyway, who is next?

I’m sorry, you said something negative about a girl’s appearance to her face? That strikes me as very rude. Perhaps you could clarify?

I made one of my fourth graders cry last year. (Maybe it was earlier this year. Last school year, anyway.) We had an exercise that involved coloring and I let them color for awhile, then told the kids to put away the pencils because we had work, and one girl didn’t do it. She continued to color even after I told her several times to stop and to pay attention. Finally I took her belezhnik (a little notebook that schoolchildren in Bulgaria are obligated to carry around) and wrote a note in the disciplinary section. This is the worst thing you can do to a kid in the Bulgarian public school system (which has virtually no consequences for bad behavior; it’s loads of fun) and she started crying in class.

Whatever, Hristina.

It was rude, and it’s not something I’m particularly proud of. The story is contained in this thread of mine: http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=488120

I really had to think about this.

I made myself cry several times this past summer, thinking about a dear friend who had passed away. That seems normal and proper to me.

Other than that it’s probably been since my kids were little, and I disciplined them for something-or-other. At least 10 or 12 years. That’s also part of life.

I don’t remember ever saying something to another adult, either accidentally or on purpose, which made them cry. However, I don’t know what goes on behind closed doors so to speak, so I reckon it’s possible. Not probable however, as I don’t care for confrontation and rarely say anything harsh.

I’m not sure this counts but the last time I made someone cry was about 7 or 8 years ago.

I was heading home and saw a little girl (6 or 7 years old) standing on an embankment beside the road. She threw a rock at my car as I drove past and hit the windshield. I pulled my car off the road and asked her where she lived. She was terrified and started crying immediately but pointed to her house.

I went up to the house with crying little girl following behind me begging me not to tell her mother. I wasn’t persuaded and told her Mom anyway. It turns out that Mom didn’t even know Daughter was outside and was furious with her. Mom thanked me over and over again. She also offered to pay for any damages but my car was unhurt.

This morning. I told MiniWhatsit that the short-sleeved shirt and pink frilly shorts she had picked out to wear were not appropriate for a chilly fall day. She promptly burst into tears. I do not feel particularly bad about this.

As for adults… jeez, I can’t even remember. Possibly never.

A few years ago, and I’m still baffled by it.

I met a female friend of a friend who is from a rival county for the Gaelic Football Association - her team had beaten mine the year before and a lot of people (why, our side of course :slight_smile: ) thought there was a bit of unfair play contributing to the victory. Now, we’re known in this part of the world for bantering, and I have bonded with many a new acquaintance by us each slagging off the other’s football teams - so imagine my surprise when after a bit of this she burst into tears and ran off. (She was drunk.)

I would normally feel mortified and be close to tears myself if I’d upset someone that much, but not this time. It was no worse than ordinary pub banter, and I was pretty pissed off at her for being such an idiot about it.

A good time was when I got back from Australia after a year away. I never tell my folks when I’m due back from travelling because I like to surprise them, so Mum answered the door on a Saturday evening and there I was when she thought I was still in Melbourne. She got a bit weepy. :slight_smile:

Scooped. This morning, I dared to block told The Littlest Briston’s view of Moose A. Moose and Zee’s singing long enough to slip a shirt over her head.

She was still playing it up a half hour later.

Probably when I blessed my little sister out for being rude and disrespectful to my mom.

There must be something in the air this morning. As we were leaving this morning, my son asked for a pretzel. I gave him one. He promptly burst into hysterical tears because he wanted two. He couldn’t even talk he was crying so hard. I think he needed a little more sleep last night.

Except for my kids, I can’t remember ever causing someone to cry.

I can make kids cry by looking at them. Does that count?

My GF and I were sorta drunk and I got to telling her how much she means to me and how much I care about her. She started to cry. Happy cry. I love her.

Maybe a month ago. GF and I had a bit of a tiff. We’ve since patched things up.

About two weeks ago. I denied holiday leave to an employee who didn’t follow the same req procedure the rest of my staff adhered to and she “cried all night about it”. :rolleyes:

Yesterday afternoon. I told a woman her cat had cancer (mesenteric lymphoma) and was not going to be around much longer. Haven’t made a client cry yet today, but in all likelyhood I will.

Last night, I told my 4-year-old that she could either 1) eat what the rest of us were eating, 2) eat some leftover pasta she had had for lunch, or 3) go hungry.

She had a crying temper tantrum over this.

Like MsWhatsit, I do not feel bad about it, other than the fact that my parents were there and it kind of ruined everyone’s dinner. :slight_smile:

My wife is a big girl, and I am a big guy.

A couple of years ago, she shook her hair around wildly, and I said, “Wow! You look like Meat Loaf!” It was an innocent comparison of her hair to his. HER HAIR!!! I had no idea the shit storm that would arise.

Joe

Wow, this dredges up an extremely painful memory.

A few years ago, about six months after my Dad’s stroke, he was living in a nursing home. We were having an argument about money (which we were inclined to do almost weekly), and I wouldn’t let up about how he failed to support me in several areas such as school. Even though I had some valid points, it was not a fair fight given that he didn’t have all his mental capacities at that point. He gave in and wanted to go to sleep at 4:30 in the afternoon.

Anyway, he turned out the light, laid on his bed, and turned away from me.

*Dad: Would you please go now?

Me: Why?

Dad: Because I don’t want you to see me sad.*

:frowning: Oh my God I never felt so small in my life as I did that day. I think I myself cried on the way home. From that day forward, I swore to hug my Dad as much as possible, but I’ll never get over how much I hurt him.

That’s cold.

Hell, I don’t know… when was my last post?

Actually, I know exactly when. We’ve raised our daughter with so much support, always being and stressing the positive, that the few times I’ve ever shown any disappointment she’s burst into tears. Seeing her cry then gets me all choked up. Fortunately, these little episodes are rare and nothing more than touchingly sweet because the positive just works so well that she just seems to stay happy and incredibly well behaved.