When you were a kid, did you mutilate maypops?

• Yes.
  • No.
  • Dafuc’s a maypop?

0 voters

When I was a kid maypops/passionfruit grew wild in fields, and I used to break off parts of the flower to make it into a person holding “bread and butter”, something that my grandmother taught me to do. I’m wondering how local or widespread that activity is/was.

Nope. They don’t grow in this part of the country, or apparently in the upper midwest or on the west coast either.

I thought you were talking about a common light purple flower with tight buds you could squeeze to make a noise like popping bubble wrap. They are all over the place here in Chicago. Does anyone know the name?

No but I used to lick honeysuckles.

They must have been around when I was growing up in MD and PA, but I’ve never heard of this.

Small correction, the name is a synonym for passionflower, not passionfruit.

I thought you were talking about tennis shoes. We called cheap shoes, Maypops.

We done the passion fruit!

Never heard of Maypops, but we used to have some kind of grass plant that looked like a tiny avocado on a very long stalk and we’d take off the bottom few inches of the stalk and shoot the avocado part like a slingshot.

And a correction on my correction–they really are a type of passionfruit, as I originally thought.

No, but when I was about 4, I went all over the neighborhood and picked all the snapdragons. And made them all “snap”.

They can grow in Western Oregon. There are some in our neighborhood that act rather like invasive species. When there’s a hard freeze, they get knocked back, but still keep coming back. A neighbor had some growing on their fence, and it invaded our yard, requiring lots of effort to control.

To answer the OP question, I grew up in an area where it grows, but never heard of what you described.

But of COURSE we mutilated… er… what’s a maypop?

She loves me. She loves me not.
She lo… Oh wait, this is was a daisy

Hostas. As a kid, we called them poppy plants.