When you were a kid, what was your local "horror movie" show?

Final destination was the first horror movie I watched as a Kid, although I understood little of it, the truck scene still haunts me till this day.

The Ghoul’s competition was provided by Hoolihan and Big Chuck on Channel 8.

There were three independent stations in the New York area in the 1960s that showed monster movies:

1.) Chiller Theater on WPIX, channel 11, noted above. But the animated six-fingered hand in the pool of blood was a later incarnation. Here’s a re-creation of the original opening:

It’s cobblerd together from the films they showed all the time. I think they must have outright owned copoies of these – Plan Nine from Outer Space, The Cyclops, Attack of the 50 Foot Woman, The Ape Man, zKillers from Space, The Black Sleep. They also showed Voodoo Island, <Monster of Piedras Blances, The Cape Canaveral Monsters, and others.

At first they had no “horror host”, but then John Zacherle (“Zacherley”), who’s done Philadelphia as “Roland” and later The Late Show on CBS, came in. He’s do bumper segments at start and finish, and also cut himself into the movies.

On WOR channel 9 out of Secaucus we had Supernatural Theater and Million Dollar Movie No host, but they tended to show the same films over and over.

WNEW channel 5 had Creature Feature, which showed the old Universal horror films and things like “The Monster that Challenged the World”

The major stationds showed monster films on the off-hours, too. No horror hosts. Channel 7 WABC had “The Big Show” at 4:30 weekday afternoons, where they showed everything from The Killer Shrews to The Agony and the Ecstacy. They frequently had “Godzilla Week”.

WCBS channel 2 in the 1960s showed science fiction at 1 PM on Sundays. That’s where I first saw Them, Invaders from Mars, and The Thing

WGGT in Greensboro, NC had “Billy Bob.” he did a creature feature type show but I remember him more from the Kung-Fu Action Theater show. I got to meet him a few times as a vendor at the local UNCG-sponsored sci-fi/fantasy con. He dealt with vintage movie posters.

I don’t remember The Million Dollar Movie being specifically horror related. Not that they wouldn’t show a horror movie, only that they showed movies that had been features in theaters and were no longer theater worthy. I saw one of my fav all time movies there-- The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3. The original starring Walter Matthau and New York City.

In Atlanta in the 60’s, it was the “Big Movie Shocker” with Bestoink Dooley. 11:30 Friday night. For a nine or ten year-old, it was always a big deal to stay up late enough to watch the movie.

Later on, Bestoink, whose real name was George Ellis, opened the only true “art repertoire” in Atlanta. I was 22 or so when I had one of my more memorable cinema experiences ever: a screening of “Night of the Living Dead” followed by a live show by B. B. King!

I definitely remember Commander USA and Joe Bob Briggs but I remember those as something I saw as a teenager and not a kid so I think they came later to my market.

I think you’re from a later era. In the 12960s I remember Million Dollar Movie showing The Giant Behemoth, The Crawling Eye, Godzilla, and the Big Ape trilogy, King Kong, Son of Kong, and Mighty Joe Young. In fact, Son of Kong on Million Dollar Movie is one of the first things I recall watching on TV. They did show other, non-horror movies, but they showed those as well.

It used to begin with a teaser from the beginning of the movvie. If there was no r=teaser before the credits, they’d take a bit from later on in the film (like the Giant Behemoth sinking the Thames ferry). Then you’d get a giant clap-board rising behind a silhouette of manhattan’s skyline, accompanied by the Tara theme from *Gone with the Wind. It was years before I learned that music wasn’t from “Million Dollar Movie”

Supernatural Theater had scenes from Forbidden Planet in its opening montage, even though that was science fiction. They usually showed low-budget things like Carnival of Souls or The Horror Chamber of Dr. Faustus

This is what I watched in the early 1960s. Zacherle even had a record, which I owned, consisting of spoofs of regular songs, a cover of Monster Mash, of course, and a few things that seemed original.
It inspired me to make up my own parodies, the best of which was a version of Walk Like a Man called “Bay Like a Wolf” which I sang, badly, to packed tents at Boy Scout camp.

I have that record too! It’s dated 1964 and is on the “Wyncote” label, distributed by Cameo-Parkway out of Philadelphia. I was going to post a picture of it earlier today but I couldn’t figure out how to add a photo to my post. I’m almost surprised anyone else still has a copy of it!

Sounds fun!

I still have my Monster Mash 45.

You’ll need to upload the picture to a photo-sharing website, like Imgur or Flickr, then add a link to the picture on that site to a post that you make here.

Ah, I wish I still had a copy. But my wife isn’t. It vanished ages ago, along with my Invaders from Mars cards and early Marvel comics. sob

On his video Zacherley’s Horrible Horror he performs a song about Dracula sharpening his teeth, accompanying his singing on the ukulele. I suspect it’s one of the songs on the record, but I’ve never heard the record.

The Ghoul was out of this world. It was only on for a short time. No accounting for taste I guess. I remember they played Paint it Black for one segment.

He was my first crush

Add me to the list of folks that were terrorized by Chiller, especially the opening. Does anyone remember the title card(?) that that came on at the commercial break? IIRC, it was a shrunken head with long black hair and an evil smile. That scared me more than the freaky ass title sequence. I’ve been trying to find it for years.

After Chiller went off the air in my area, channel 13 ran Sinister Cinema . I don’t remember the host’s name but I think he was supposed to be a reporter or detective and it was kind of noir themed. The closing song was ’ As Time Goes By’ and it was shown on Sunday afternoons. Unlike Chiller, I can recall several of the films that were shown and most of them were pretty darn scary.

Next came Elvira. Can’t remember too many of those movies, except ‘Dunwich Horror’ and ‘Dementia 13’.

That was my experience as well, good old Bob Wilkins. Classic SNL/Creature Features on Saturday nights. My ability to stay up late enough to make it through everything was pretty variable and I frequently didn’t make it.

For me, it was the Creature Feature on channel 44, WTOG in St. Petersburg, Florida, hosted by Dr. Paul Bearer. at 2 pm on Saturdays.

Full of terrible wordplay and some sight gags. Local celebrity. He used to drive a hearse, too.

Apparently there had been a revival (heh) of the character more recently that was pretty popular, too.

He was wonderful. When I lived in Florida, he was on late Saturday nights. His real name was Dick Bennick and he was the morning DJ on a co-owned radio station, 540AM WGTO out of Cypress Gardens, near Winter Haven. He was very funny on the radio too, with a dry, somewhat corny sense of humor. His TV and radio personas were quite separate, but every so often Dr. Paul Bearer would come through. Once I heard him play “Dueling Banjos,” and after a while he opened the mike and said in his Dr. Paul voice, “If you keep picking it like that it’ll never heal!” (If you’ve ever heard that record, you’ll get the joke.)

Here’s an odd story about him. Years before, he had been involved in a serious auto accident and had lost an eye. WTOG Channel 44 had a singing jingle for a station ID: “W T O G, as far as the eye can see.” He did a station ID as Dr. Paul Bearer, and sang the jingle in his creepy, guttural voice. When he sang “as far as the eye can see,” he held up his glass eye, with people in the background making sounds of disgust, like vomiting. There are lots of clips of him on YouTube and I have searched for years, in vain, for that station ID. It was hilarious. Someone, somewhere, must have it.