Where are good places for people to meet their partners?

Where are some good places for a nice, 30-year-old, single, hetero, Christian male like myself to meet single girls around my own age? I have very little romantic experience, and the experience I do have is years ago, when I was a very different person. There aren’t a whole lot of singles at my church, I don’t think.

Try a bigger church. All of the really big churches around here have singles groups and activities.

Only gets worse as you get older, man.

I know someone’s going to say some unique place like the grocery store. Only thing is, odds are you’ll never run into that person again so that’s an awful lot of talking to do in the 2 minutes you are looking at the mangos.

It’s best to catch them when they can’t so easily escape. Laundromat is good in that respect.

Is this a trick question? A dating site of course.

There is at least one online forum for single Christians to meet, I see it advertised all the time.

I think it’s christianmingle.com. Something like that. I met my husband through a work friend. Do your friends know you are looking?

Online dating is how people generally look for partners these days. It works.

Online dating sites are the way to go. The dating sites are a lot more efficient than just hanging out somewhere in real life HOPING that you’ll bump into someone that is A) single B) available right now C) attractive to you D) attracted to you E) free of any glaring red flags.
Especially if you’re shy.
OkCupid is the best of the free dating sites and I would strongly recommend giving it a try before signing up with any of the pay sites. eHarmony might be worth trying if you do end up trying a pay site. It seems to draw more people who are religious and looking for a serious relationship.

I met my husband when I took sailing lessons. So I would suggest taking a class in something you’re interested in or curious about, especially a class that lasts weeks to months.

I’ve taken several pottery classes and they were predominantly women, so there’s a possibility. I do suggest avoiding bars, even tho my uncle met all 5 of his wives in bars… :wink:

And if you get caught looking at the mangos she’ll probably think you aren’t listening anyways.

Agree with FairyChatMom that the best way to meet someone with similar interests is through a hobby or activity. If you love acting, get involved involved in community theater. If you love reading, join a book club. If you love basketball, find a team to join.

You will enjoy the experience, and are more likely to meet someone who shares that hobby with you. I met my husband while inter-tubing down a river. One sister met her husband at an art gallery. The other sister met her husband at a community garden.

Get active!

While I don’t doubt that it works, I don’t think that it is common enough where it can be classified as generally just yet.

There is still a bit of a social stigma, and people will still chuckle behind their backs.

A dating site. Since you label yourself Christian, eHarmony is especially good for you. It’s relatively expensive and has a very long sign-up questionnaire, which weeds out people who aren’t at least semi-serious. It’s also gently discouraging of atheism etc.

[QUOTE=Sattua;15249749 It’s also gently discouraging of atheism etc.[/QUOTE]

It is? I don’t remember being discouraged when I signed up for an eHarmony free communication weekend. And I’m normally fairly sensitive to anti-atheism/pro-religious talk.

Back OT…yes, sites like this can and do work. I know several couples who met on a dating site and got married. I got one date out of my free three-day experience. She was a fairly good match, except I didn’t find her physically attractive. As a paying member with access to pictures, I would have known that up front.
-D/a

Yeah, do something that you’ll enjoy.

What’s good about this way is that even if you don’t find someone you aren’t wasting your time. I took ballroom dance lessons and had a blast. While I didn’t meet anyone while there, once I did meet someone I had the perfect first date lined up.

I met my wife through a friend.

Are you Amish and/or living in 1995?

Literally every person I know right now who is single and looking, uses dating sites. It is extremely common. Nobody is going to chuckle behind their backs unless they are 75 years old, and probably not even then.

Anyway, yeah, the Internet is pretty much the answer to this question.

I’m 45 and pretty much one of the old guys in my office, most of the people in the department are under 35. If anyone admits that they were on eHarmony or something, people wouldn’t snicker behind their backs. They’d be mocked openly. This hasn’t happened yet, but there have been plenty of jokes made mocking internet dating in general. This is crowd of fairly well-off and well-educated professionals, and very very tech savvy.

I don’t honestly think internet dating is the way to go. You never know who you will come across, and from my experience you’re more likely to hit it off if you come across someone by chance who happens to have similar interests to you. Like others said, finding an activity you like that involves others is the best start.

It is. They don’t do same-sex matches (though they were recently forced to, they opened another same-sex dating site instead of allowing same sex matches on eHarmony, iirc) and you can’t choose “atheist”, only “spiritual” or something equally namby-pamby.

I met my husband on eHarmony. We’d both been on for about six weeks at the time.

Really? I’m 31, and all of my single girlfriends use online dating- the Monday morning water cooler is all about how that weekend’s OKCupid adventures went. It’s big, busy city and people barely have time for their friends, much hoping to randomly run into a like-minded guy at the supermarket. Many of my friends (across very different peer groups) are systematic daters, meeting 3-4 guys a week and seeing which relationships blossom.

And they do. In fact, that’s how I found my own beau. I can’t imagine anyone being mocked for it- if you want an apartment, you don’t walk around hoping to spot a "for rent’ sign. If you want a plane ticket, you don’t spend all day calling airlines. If you want a job, your networks are probably your first resource but the internet is a close second. Serendipity is a great concept, but if you are serious about finding a partner, it makes sense to aim for efficiently.

Online dating highly increases the chances of having a quality date. Think about it- what are the chances of any random person being:

[ol]
[li]single[/li][li]in your age range[/li][li]Desiring the same level of committment[/li][li]Having compatable views on major issues (kids, religion, politics, substance use)[/li][li]Attractive to you[/li][li]Attracted to you[/li][/ol]

It’s damn slim, and if just one of those isn’t there, the whole thing is going nowhere. Why spend 2-3 dates with someone only to find out that he is a polyamorous Hindu-fundamentalist commitment-phobe who hates kids and is moving to Cleveland next week? Online dating gives you a button to literally screen these basic deal breakers out, so you can spend your date time focusing on personal compatibility rather than trying to think of a non-awkward way to ask a guy you just met if he sees having kids in the next few years.

It takes time and effort, and you have to kiss a lot of frogs to meet a prince. But if your goal is to find someone to have a romantic relationship with, drawing from a well of people desiring the same things as you is going to have much better odds than drawing from a well of people who also like Scrabble or whatever your shared interests are.

As an aside, what’s this with our well know poster even sven and the new guy or girl named even seven? Prepare for being confused often in your near future, you two. :slight_smile: