Where did your summer go?

Summer? Hey, mine’s still to come! And let me tell you, an Australian Summer is something quite unique in the world!

I totally wasted my last one. I’m not gonna waste this one!

Damn right, GuanoLad, and you go for it!

Thanks for the reality check. Summer travels–wonderful how that works out!–so it’s great to know the miracle is passing on.

Veb

I spent the first half of my summer working part-time and taking an intro Visual Basic class. The second half I worked full-time and developed a slight glow due to my constant exposure to all those computers at work.

got out of school june 26
had a week of doing shit all, then…

july 3- i started summer school, taking Bio and Chem, 6hrs a day plus 3hrs of HW a night, missed the Calgary Stampeed for the First time EVER

bout july 25th- started feeling really shit, couldn’t sleep, waking up freezing and soaking wet (i hope this is sweat…)
go to the doctor, who tells me i have to get a bunch of blood tests

july 26th- got to the clinic, where i get to pee in a cup, and then have 7 test tubes of blood taken out of me

july 28th- told that i have mono. I’m not sposed to ride my motorbike, play sports, go running or do a bunch of other shit cause my spleen is enlarged and it might burst. i couldn’t go to party’s and drink cause my liver was messed up too.
Worst, im not allowed to kiss the ladies AHHHH!
:tearing hair out:

school ended 1st week of aug, then im stuck not allowed to do anything fun for a month, had to cancel me goin to an awsome summer camp, because wakeboarding, beach volleyball, jumping on the blob, and all the other cool shit that was there might rupture the spleen.

yesterday i got a clean bill of health finally.
Tuesday school starts.

Damn.

Summer?? What’s that?? In the UK here we only have the season of “ever so slightly warmer than the rest of the year, with just as much rain.”

Low temperature last night in Oxford: 1 Celsius (34 Fahrenheit).

LOL duke

The saying here in upstate New York is that the four seasons are Almost Winter, Winter, Still Winter, and Road Construction

Went to England, did the groundling thing at the New Globe and got student standby tickets for some of the best seats in the house at the RSC, learned all about British beer and tasted grilled ostrich for the first time, fell madly and goofily in love with one of the locals, realized I’d better get out of England before I spent the rest of my life there, backpacked around Scotland and Ireland, drank some more beer at the Dublin dope-fest, nearly killed an insane French guy, got lost on a lovely but treacherous stretch of sea cliff, took the ferry to France and met up with some other Americans but realized traveling in groups wasn’t my scene, saw sharks and seahorses and skates at the Grand Aquarium in St. Malo, spent four days museum-hopping in Paris, took the night train to San Sebastian and stayed with an eccentric but friendly lady named Pilar who was basically running a backpacker’s hostel in her four-room apartment, crossed Spain by bus stopping anywhere that looked interesting, had a couple of glorious days on the beach before the weather changed, ended up taking shelter from the pouring rain in a cafe-bar in Santiago de Compostela, drinking the best coffee in the world and wondering if I really, really wanted to give up my last week of independence to go back to England.

But I did go back, and found that I was still madly and goofily in love.

And of course, came home to America with a new long-distance relationship and $1,000 credit card debt, and started a teaching job that barely pays the bills under the best of circumstances.

It was a very good summer.

I’m still trying to get around to my new year’s resolutions. For 1999. I should get to this summer about November 2002. Should be fun.

Summer begins here in the Monterey area in Sept.

Yep, been sunny since. July to August? 25 days of cold foggy weather per month.

It started with my back going out. Three days later, my grandfather (one I was particularly close to) died. Yeah, my summer had a shitty start.

Two weeks later I was in Ohio, visiting the surviving grandparents and helping out the recently widowed grandma. I spent one day of that trip driving into Lexington, KY, to go to the Horse Lover’s Mecca: Kentucky Horse Park. I got to meet some of my favorite racehorses (retired and either sterile or too old to breed, which is why they were there and not at a stud barn). John Henry looked fantastic for a 24-year-old, but 27yro Bold Forbes (oldest living Kentucky Derby winner–he won in 1976) looked rather feeble. Three weeks after the visit, he died from kidney failure.

I did two weeks of computer training, which required 60 hours but of which I only needed about 20. I already knew how to do the majority of what we were being trained in. But ah, well, I was paid to do it. And they were impressed enough with me to ask me to become a trainer myself.

The Llama and I went to a member’s night at the Natural History museum, then later that same weekend went to Medieval Times for the first time. The next weekend we went to the Hollywood Bowl with Shayna and a friend of hers to watch “Carousel.” (Fabulous company, great production, but still a rather lousy play to begin with: “Is it possible for a man to hitcha, hitcha hard, and it not hurt at all?” …NO!)

Spent nearly three weeks getting my classroom in order. Just about got it set up.

Summer ended with my other grandfather passing away. sigh Yeah, I’m looking forward to the school year starting up again.

I think this is the most Ironic thread title/ Username combination ever?

I worked all summer long by day, drank and slept in that order. Sometimes not.

I invented the Cheese Pretzel for Kraft (The size of bar pretzels, about 2", from twisted string cheese).

I am now rich rich rich. And Oscar Meyer is having me re-design bologna to look like potato chips.

…What? This year? I thought you meant next year.

moved from VA to FL on July 1
unpacked
painted
started new job
mowed the grass
built a fence around the back yard
dang, I was cheated out of my summer… <sigh>