Where do people keep their passports?

I mean, you can use scissors, can’t you? That’s what I do with my credit cards, and the passport doesn’t look any more difficult to cut into pieces.

I never bothered with fire safes or anything like that. It’s just a passport. You can get it replaced. Might be a pain in the ass if you don’t have all the right documentation (mostly proof of citizenship), but I have various papers that are acceptable (passport card [which is in my wallet], old passports [in another drawer in the house] and I can get my birth certificate easily enough if both those fail.) It’s just another form of ID, nothing sacred.

Same here. A good pair of scissors will do the trick. I’d only bother with a shredder if I had a lot of documents to destroy.

Mine is still in my safe deposit box in the bank. My diplomat brother has drilled into my head to keep it safe (and unlike me, he has had to flee a country in the middle of the night, so no bank safes for him).

In my career as a Canadian government accountant, for several years I was responsible for Immigration department accounts receivable owed by transportation carriers who had brought ineligible people into the country. Mostly airlines, but a few shipping companies as well (including some stowaways). This included the fine amount and any associated costs for returning the passenger/crew if the company didn’t take them back themselves.

I guess I’m an outlier in this thread. I never had a passport, nor a need for one. I’ve been all over the USA but outside of the country only twice; once, to Canada (“Welcome to Canada and enjoy your stay!” – as long as you didn’t declare any guns, drugs, or meat); and once “courtesy” of the US Army. Neither Canada nor the US Army required such documents. It was a simpler time, you bet.

We always have a brush pile where we toss fallen tree limbs, brush that we cut, etc. On a quiet fall day we add paperwork that has accumulated over the year and have a bonfire.

My first US passport got two holes punched in it. The second one just got stamped. I think. Not sure where the expired ones are, but the valid one is with the foreign currency and other stuff we need for travel (US bank cards, which we only use in the US, plus a house key for a house we visit every 2 years, etc.)

I have my first US passport as it has my original entry visa for where I am now living.

The second one I kept because I have my first. It only has stamps from the U.K. and the U.S. (which I find odd - the U.S. can’t throw me out, so what’s the point?). Schengen countries don’t care, since I have a valid residence permit. The third passport is still valid and does not contain any stamps because last time I entered the U.S., immigration was contactless (Global Entry).

Which reminds me, I think my company’s supposed to ask for a copy of my passport, as my residence permit, which allows me to work, is dependent on me having a valid passport. They asked 11 years ago when the previous one expired, but maybe the rules changed.

I also have my expired driver’s licenses.

It lives in the old leather backpack, I use when traveling; along with power converters, tums, foreign currency, a bottle open… and other travel necessities.
The only time it leaves the backpack is at immigration control.

Like several others, I have a portable, fireproof safe that I keep important documents in. Like birth certificate, original Social Security card, passport, deed to house, car titles, etc. God forbid that I might wake up some night and the house is on fire and we have to leave immediately, it is there to grab and go. I will not have to think about what to take while I lose everthing else. Should probably put a couple thousand cash in there too. It is just a little thing like a small peice of luggage or a purse, a little heavy because of the lining, but I can just grab and go.

After an unfortunate event, you almost cannot get anything done until you recover those basic items.

I keep my passport in a fire-resistant safe, but…

…I keep my passport card in my wallet, which is usually in my purse. :slight_smile:

I keep my current active passport in an inner pocket in my work computer backpack. A couple of times in my career, I’ve had to divert on a business trip domestically to out of the country.

Just because I find it interesting - how the hell does something like that happen? Back in the days of “Take this plane to Cuba,” sure. But these days?

My first guess would be bad weather.

To another country?

All of this assumes the US, of course. It’s certainly easy to divert in Europe.

I think he just meant business plans/schedules changed last minute.

I’m not @Omar_Little, obviously, but my guess is what’s being described is being on a business trip to a location in the US and in the middle of that, being asked to visit an overseas location in a big hurry.

That makes more sense to me. Thank you.

I have a “travel trunk,” basically. A big IKEA white plastic storage container where I keep all my souvenirs and documentation from my travels. I’m annoyingly organized that way…I hang on to files full of all the travel arrangements and whatnot. Anyway, At the top of the tub is an accordion file with everything I’ve planned for my next trip, some currency, and my passport in a nylon carrying case.

As others have said, business plans change. In the two instances that this has happened to me, it was during due diligence on an acquisition, and needing to fly to Europe from NYC on short notice.

I have non-obvious (to a casual observer) shallow drawers at the top of my dresser, and the passports and similar papers (birth certificates etc.) typically live there. We don’t travel outside the country often, but I like having a passport just in case.