Where do right-wingers get the idea that Biden suffers from dementia?

The trick is that it’s not just one little word. They make a compilation out of dozens of speeches, discussions, and interviews, and find each instance of a stutter, fumble, or gaffe.

Then stitched together like that, makes him look like a babbling fool.

He also has a decades long history of saying weird dumb stuff, it is not recent.

The two ones that come to mind are:

“Poor kids are just as talented as white kids”

and

“We choose truth over facts.”

In fairness, I’m almost 50 years younger than Biden and I make such gaffes myself multiple times a day. So, no, not necessarily dementia. That being said, I do still think 80 is too old.

Busy guy.

As I had understood it, it started with claims that Trump suffers from dementia (e.g. here) and, in the usual fashion, the Right responded with “Nuh-huh! Your guy has dementia!”.

This.

Obsessively focusing on every verbal or physical misstep allows the opposition to paint a picture of drastic mental decline, when every recent* President has a similar collection of doozies.

The problem for Republicans is positioning loony or even batshit-crazy candidates as good alternatives to allegedly mildly impaired Democrats.

*that could go back a long way, only the news media in the early 1800s (for example) probably wasn’t aware of or published every goofy thing that John Quincy Adams said during his time in office.

You forgot that all of this is run by his clone - or mutliple actors pretending to be him. The real Biden (along with countless others) was executed for treason by the military follwing a tribunal ran by Trump.

Where do right-wingers get the idea that Biden suffers from dementia?

It’s very much like the way everyone seems to get drunker the more I have to drink.

‘Every accusation is an admission.’

I do think Trump has more mental issues than just his narcissistic personality disorder. His tendency to repeat phrases like Johnny Two Times does in Goodfellas, and his incomprehensible word salads come to mind.

There are a lot of people who believe in a kind of action movie version of reality. For example they may think criminals are lining up to rob them and kill their family so they need a gun. Or they believe that terrorists are super villains who can drill through walls to pull off elaborate assassination schemes.

It’s the same thinking by which so many idiots actually believed Stop the Steal, and the Democrats were printing millions of fake ballots and transporting them where needed under cover of night to steal the election and never get caught.

Biden is old and slurs his speech and also says funny, kind of “off” things sometimes. Personally I think you’d have to be kind of dumb to believe that if he actually had dementia he’d still be president, as though a set-up like that could ever conceivably work.

I do recall a lot of folks who used to say quite seriously that GWB wasn’t really running his presidency and that he just did what his “handlers” told him. When you feel helpless in the face of the “wrong” people being in power, you might reach for imaginary scenarios to make yourself feel like you have some control.

Have you heard the one where Biden is actually a robot? They think his facelift is actually proof that there are two different Bidens.

There are 2 reasons they fabricate things like this:

1. The playbook since Obama has been to paint your opponent as not merely someone with disagreeable policies, but a fundamentally incompetent person who’s being propped up by others. We saw it with “Obama uses Teleprompters (as everyone does”, and now we’re seeing it recycled as “Biden is being directed by others because he’s senile.”
  2. This is also part of a different playbook attributed to Roger Stone (but probably older) in which you anticipate the weaknesses your opponent will attack, and pre-emptively smear your opponent with them. Their hero Reagan died of Alzheimers after showing signs of senility in office. GWB was a bumbling tongue-tied fool on camera (and most likely 24x7). Trump, of course, is an empty-headed maniac with the attention span of a goldfish. So Republicans will now and forevermore utilize a strategy wherein from day 1 they’ll pre-emptively smear their opponents as being dumb, senile, a ringer propped up by others.

In Obama’s case it stuck because he is Black, and many people are willing to believe he couldn’t have made it on his own. In Biden’s case it sticks because, well, he’s 80, and he’s not as fast as someone in their 60’s or younger. But the accusation is entirely ginned up and was fully formed before either Biden or Obama ever declared, and it will be part of every election going forward.

Biden clearly has cognitive issue or at least appears to have them when speaking. It is possible it is nothing more that the general American idea that any cognitive difficulties associated with age is “dementia” even if medically it is not.

I think the RWNJs are using the term “Senile” more than “Dementia”, being that the former seems more mean-spirited than the latter. That tells me all I need to know about their concerns for Biden’s health and fitness for the office - it’s intended to be a dig and to rile-up the libs. I am not sure there is much more to it than that.

Please point to an example of Biden having cognitive issues when speaking. And his stammer or stutter does not count since it has been a lifelong issue.

Ask and þee shall receive.

He’s old, and he doesn’t have the (R) next to his name.

Much as I like Biden and many of the things he’s done, when he talks I can’t help but think “man that guy sounds old”. He is simply not capable of projecting across the room the way a good speaker needs to. So his speechs sound more like one on one grandfatherly chats than as a rousing call to action.

Trump on the other hand, (so long as he isn’t reading a speech that someone else wrote in which case he switches to a bored singsong cadence) adds a lot of vigor to his speeches. So even though Biden is more capable both mentally and physically than Trump (you’ll never see Trump ride a bike) he comes across as older because people mostly see the president when he’s giving a speech.

Huh, it’s almost as if I already mentioned this exact sort of disingenuous practice.

Let me follow you around with a video camera and have you give speeches and interviews, then stitch together ever fumble into proof of your cognitive decline.

The primary source that I’ve seen are videos that show him acting strange on stage, wandering around and talking to invisible people.

If you fact check the videos, they’re clips from public Q&As that have had the audio removed and are zoomed up on him, so you can’t see that he’s having questions called to him from off-stage, that he’s responding to. He’s walking around to look at the different speakers, and he’s talking to them from a great distance, on his mic. It’s just creative editing.

There was one example where he forgot the death of someone whose funeral he attended, rather conspicuously, on stage in the middle of an event:

If he’s not suffering dementia then, certainly, he wasn’t getting enough sleep for a man his age. And, I mean, that’s still something to keep in mind even if he’s a perfectly healthy 80 year old.

Otherwise, the closest that I’ve seen to a reasonable argument is comparisons of him talking, today, to how he talked a few decades ago. He’s definitely slowed down a bit, but that’s not what we’re talking about here.

So we see the typical left-wing denial of reality. Clinton ran the perfect campaign. Biden has no cognitive issues. … Luckily for y’all this site is 98% similar-minded member that will totally agree with you and put me on blast for daring to say anything anti-Democratic Party. How dare I offer anything representing a dissenting view.

Have fun everyone. I tried and I’m out of this thread. Not interested in drinking your Flavor-Aid.