Where do you buy persimmons?

The bigger question is WHY do you buy persimmons? I have a friend who is a master at getting the absolute best fruit and vegetables at the local farmers’ markets, and he’s convinced me on multiple occasions to try what he assures me is a “good” persimmon (apparently of the non-astringent variety). They’re not terrible, but I don’t get the appeal. I mean, I wouldn’t pick them out of a fruit salad I was eating, but I’d wonder why they were taking up space that could have been given over to perfectly good apples, oranges, bananas, figs, plums, papaya, kiwi fruit, or pomegranate. In fact, it’s hard to think of a fruit I wouldn’t rather have than a persimmon of equal quality. Maybe a mango. Some varieties of mango are fine, but most of the ones I get taste carroty to me. But I can see the appeal of a mango, even if I don’t usually care for them myself. Persimmons just taste sort of generically sweet and fruity to me with nothing that would make me pick one over anything else that was sweet and fruity, plus they usually have a slightly unpleasant texture, either too hard or too soft.

What am I missing?

Oddly, my neighbor and I were just texting one another, and he was complaining about the giant ‘possum that is (a) eating his persimmons and (b) menacing his dog. So apparently, if I want persimmons, I just need to pop over to Charles’ and shoo the 'possum away! :smiley:

Yeah, I don’t know anyone who buys persimmons. People will almost pay you to take them around here, there are so many of them.

Yup. The last couple of weeks I’ve had three different people knock on my door asking if they can pick my persimmons (and I really appreciate people who ask!), but hell, what am I going to do with a few hundred persimmons? Please, cart them away!

Because nobody in my neighborhood has a persimmon tree (that I know of) although they do grow here.

My sister lives in San Diego, and while you can buy citrus fruit there, she knows where she can pick it free of charge. :slight_smile:

I’m so jealous I’m actually angry with anyone who can just go outside and pick a fresh persimmon off their tree. Especially those large, peach sized varieties. I pay like $2 each at my local Whole Foods store for those this time of year. But this year they did not have any. Which has pretty much ruined Christmas for me.