Where do you get your local traffic and road condition info?

Just over a year ago, my favorite radio station dropped its rush hour traffic reports, stating that people are now getting information from other sources.

So where is that? When you start your car in the morning to head for work, what’s the replacement for your local radio station’s rush-hour traffic report?

And where do you get road condition reports in the winter?

I don’t want to be googling for this stuff or checking a million apps and websites. I just one one reliable source of information that will tell me the traffic conditions between my house and my destination, and will give me the current road conditions in my area.

What should I be listening to?

… and I really don’t like the idea of letting some service know my location constantly, if that’s what the apps are requiring.

I just look out the window.

Radio, local PBS/NPR/APM affiliate.

Living in a rural town of 200 people I don’t worry a lot about traffic conditions. For weather the internet: National Weather Service and Weather Underground. For road conditions the state department of transportation website.

Google Maps. I think there’s a setting that will prevent your phone from sending info.

I use Waze.

Google Maps with traffic conditions turned on. I find it very accurate. But all the news and talk radio stations still do weather and traffic every ten minutes around here.

I usually put on the traffic channel on satellite radio for a few minutes when I leave. I’ll also glance at the map on the Inrix app on my phone.

A couple of TV stations in my area have local newscasts starting at 4:30 in the morning. They have frequent traffic and weather updates and report on local gas prices. You can leave it on in the background while you’re getting ready for work.

I’m not sure what the answer is if you’re not willing to use something as simple as Google. I just type “Seattle traffic” in the search bar on my phone and presto. It doesn’t get any easier.

I use a digital radio scanner. Monitor fire, police, hiway patrol etc.

You window has a view of the traffic all the way from your home to your destination?

That’s exactly who stopped giving rush-hour traffic reports, as described in my OP.

If you hadn’t heard, folks are discouraging people from picking up their phones and surfing Google when driving.

In any case, a small mobile phone screen doesn’t give you much perspective on the entire route and alternatives.

Plus, Google insists on using both red and green lines on its maps to indicate traffic, and like 10 percent of men, those colors look the same to me.

Sigalert.com

The AM stations in L.A. still have traffic reports every six to ten minutes, last I checked. Unfortunately, with 500+ miles of freeway to cover, they’ve never been very useful – unless there’s an overturned tanker truck blocking multiple lanes or something of similar magnitude, the report won’t even mention whatever slow traffic you’re stuck in.

One local television station has proved very reliable at 7-9am for traffic and getting the weather right and that is my usual go-to as I’m planning my day. Usually watching but sometimes checking in online.

:rolleyes: I check before I leave the house. I have no problem zooming in and out to see the alternate routes.

Yeesh. I was just making a suggestion that might’ve been helpful. I won’t bother next time.

Google Maps, with traffic turned on. And no, I don’t look at it while driving; I check it last thing before leaving the house.

We used to have a news/traffic/weather program that was very local. Only Silicon Valley and San Jose traffic conditions were broadcast. Then it became too expensive to maintain that format, and they became a country and western music station. Now the only traffic reports come from a San Francisco-based station, and they pretty much pass over the entire south end of the bay. Hello! San Jose is the third largest city in the state, and Silicon Valley is the traffic-clogged economic engine of northern California.

So now it’s Google Maps to find out traffic conditions.

1. This isn’t just a suggestion that might be helpful. It’s snark:
  1. When I get suggestions, it’s only logical that I evaluate their suitability for my needs. My criticisms might aid the next round of suggestions. Google Maps has several drawbacks for me, as I outlined.

I want to hear the conditions while driving also.

I do have problems doing that.

Why do you need any? I drove a car for 60 years, without any more information than I could get on gas station road maps and by looking out through the windshield. I always got where I wanted to go, on time.

Do you think that just because you CAN do something, you HAVE to?

Because very often one will look out the window, decide conditions look ok, and 10 miles down the road realize they were horribly wrong.

I would go so far as to say it’s the height of irresponsibility to NOT check sources for weather and road conditions if there is a possibility they will be less than optimal.