Where homeschooled kids can go after Jesus Camp & after graduation

What was her reaction?

Lissa, if I may, WHY did your parents send you to this school? I don’t get the impression you were raised in a fundy household, for instance. You say your grandparents were impressed with it, but surely they saw the results after a time!

What cracks me up is that these people seem to associate ignorance with Christianity. Yet look at your Catholic schools, most of which are academically superior in many ways.

Damn, it’s a real shame-I went to a Catholic school and while there was some bullshit, I think I got a decent education. And I LOVED my Catholic college.

Well played, sir. Well played indeed. You are my hero for pulling out the perfect response at the perfect time.

Stammering and protesting that she’d heard it from a good source. I got the impression that she liked the idea so much that she’d probably tell the story again even though she knew it wasn’t true.

No, I wasn’t raised in a fundie household. My grandparents weren’t regular church attenders (until recently), so the reason wasn’t religious.

My grandparents aren’t educated people and they don’t know much about the way the system works. They believed the principal’s assurances that the lack of accredidation wouldn’t be a problem. After all, she runs a Christian school-- surely she wouldn’t lie about such a thing!

My grandparents always had the vague ambition of sending me to college, mostly because it’s what you’re supposed to do these days, but they’re also terribly old-fashioned. They expected that I wouldn’t really* need* to go to college. I’d get married, or I’d work in the family business. (However, they recognized that I was a smart kid, so they indulged my lust for books and took me to museums all over the country.)

The results they saw while I was in school were positive on the surface. I always had a 3.5 average and I seemed to know a lot of stuff. They knew I hated the school, so they didn’t really give my complaints about the quality of the education much credit. (And they weren’t educated enough to be able to see the difference for themselves.) The only other private school option in my town was a parochial school and they have a vague mistrust of Catholics.

Parochial schools are wonderful. My hubby attended one-- most of the graduates went on to Ivy League schools. We have one in my town which only goes up to eighth grade, after which the students transfer to public schools. For the last ten years, the valedictorian of every class in the city school system has been a kid who attended that parochial school for the first 8 years of their education.