Where I live you can't buy beer on Sunday..But what if I walked into the grocery....

It’s not.

My parents live in Texas, where it is sold in grocery stores, but not before noon on Sunday. One time when I was visiting, I went to the grocery store to pick up a six-pack of beer. It was 11:45 a.m. I couldn’t buy that six-pack until noon. I’d forgotten about the time. I went to the store’s cafe and drank coffee for fifteen minutes till I could buy the beer.

The cashier knew I was from out of town because I showed my (then) Minnesota license. She didn’t care; the rules are the rules and I couldn’t buy beer before noon. Too bad, so sad.

Robin

are people so addcited to drinking that they can’t wait one day?
Or even buy some on Saturday??
Thats sad.
Sunday was meant to be the Lord’s day, when you think on Him, not getting drunk.

I live in Sevier county TN. I work at a restaurant in Sevierville. I get to try to explain this situation all the time to the tourists and yet I still don’t understand it. We are allowed to serve beer and wine coolers only, no liquor or wine. Pigeon Forge is the same way. Beer and wine coolers only. People say oh it’s a dry county? No, not exactly. Gatlinburg you can sell liquor and wine by the drink, and they have liquor stores in which you can purchase your favorite spirit. Gatlinburg is in sevier county. But now hold on to your hat for the real clincher in all this, you can bring in your own liquor or wine in Sevierville or Pigeon Forge and I can sell you a strawberry daquiri in which you can put the rum in it yourself. Now go figure that one out. Because I still haven’t. :confused:

and man needs beer.

I used to work in Pigeon Forge a few years ago. At that time restaurants still weren’t allowed to sell any alcohol, but you could buy beer and wine coolers from the store. We sent a lot of business to Sevierville’s Fridays because people wanted a beer with their wings. Brown bagging wasn’t allowed at the time.

The reason given to me for Gatlinburg being able to sell liquor was that it was technically in the Smoky Mountains and therefore federal property. Not sure how much truth there is to that.

Isn’t Pigeon Forge where Dollywood is?

packs away on Sunday (one per person and you must be at least a semi regular customer at my store). If I was “giving” the beer away what could they do to stop me?

Yes, they just passed beer and wine coolers in Pigeon Forge. That is correct it used to not be. I opened that Fridays up in '97. Lasted about 3 months. I was a beertender and I hated it. Brown bagging is allowed now. I have never heard the story of the mountains being on federal property and that is the reason you can drink there.

Yes, that is correct. They don’t have beer at Dollywood though. :smiley:

i don’t have a cite, but i’m pretty sure there is a law agenst giving alcohol. i know here in Delaware, bars have to sell alcohol for more then they bought it for. thus, if it cost a bar $0.15 for a bottle of beer, they would, by law, have to sell it for at least $0.16 a bottle. this also explains no “buy one, get one free” sales for alcohol.

I am not addicted to alcohol, I pretty much don’t drink any more, but I am also not christian, so it isn’t my day to consider your god. I just don’t think it is particularly sensible to sell booze or not at any random time. If it is legal to sell in the US, then you should be able to buy it 24/7 if the storekeeper wants to be open at 0300 in the morning on sunday, it is his prerogative.

by vanilla:

I can’t tell if that was a joke or not. I have my fingers crossed.

Slight nitpick/hijack/pedantism - you will always find real Champagne as it can only be called Champagne if it is from Champagne, unless the U.S doesn’t have to abide by that law…which it might not…can you call any fizzy wine in the U.S Champagne?

agreed.
However, since the laws are this way, one can think ahead and buy ahead.

I would trust a law book for law, not etymology. Anyway, the person who invented the term has already been quoted in this thread, and he made no mention of blue paper.

It would appear so.

Perhaps. But in many places with ‘Sunday Blue Laws’ if they don’t plan ahead the only was they can drink is to travel (often by car) to a restaurant and drink there. Rather than encouraging drunk driving with this law, don’t you think it’d make more sense to just let people buy take-out liquor on Sundays?

Unless, as I posted earlier, it’s just a plan to get more people to die so they can be with Jesus sooner rather than later.

Two things. First, let’s say you’re planning a party for Sunday (such as for football) and want to get some supplies in the morning, so you have time to prepare. Sorry, you forgot to plan ahead, no beer or wine for you! Oh, and if you did plan ahead, drink as much as you want, that’s perfectly OK, just don’t buy any more alcohol.

Second, not everyone believes in the same Lord (or any Lord), not everyone believes Sunday is the Sabbath, some churches feature wine drinking during Mass, and many people’s Lord’s forbid them to imbibe alcohol altogether. It’s a complete mish-mosh, having Sunday rules is silly and only considers one point of view.

Just as another data point, New York recently changed their laws to allow hard liquor sales on Sunday, just as long as the store closes one other day of the week :rolleyes: cause we all know that 7 straight days of liquor sales just dooms our entire society.

It’s sad that you think the only reason people drink is to get drunk. I drink every Sunday - it’s called Communion.

Strange Blue laws:

Here in the Commonwealth of Taxachusetts, we have just recently nutered our old Blue Laws.

For the longest time, the only Sundays stores could be open were between Turkey day and Xmas. Now they can be open Sundays year round, but you have to pay the help time and a half.

First it was no boose on Sunday. Then they noticed the lines of cars going over the boarders, so it was legal to sell boose if you were within 30 miles of the state line. Now, it is up to the various citys and towns.

You can find some supermarkets that are 24/7, but most go home at midnight on Saturday night. 9AM on Sunday, they reopen.

It could be worse–Bergen County, in NJ, is closed on Sunday. With the exception of 7-Eleven, TOTALY closed. :confused:

As Quick-Draw McGraw once said, “Hold on there, Baba Looey!”

How is it that in another thread, the separation of church and state is cited as the reason for an action, but when we have constraint of commerce, by the state, apparently for religious reasons, little is being said. :confused:

No liquor on Sunday is discriminatory, as it is not the universal holy day. Why can’t non-christians buy booze on their day off? :dubious:

Until the 1970s. Scottish laws did not allow for the sale of alcohol on Sundays - well, they did, but only for “bona fide” travellers also having a meal, I think.

I mention that just because glancing through this thread began to remind me of a song from that time.

In case it amuses anyone else…here it is (only a little bit of it)

by Jim McLean

Incidentally, the powers that be changed the law just before Celyn became of legal drinking age. :slight_smile: Nice of them. (Of course, like an idiot, I later spent time living in Dyfed in Wales, which was dry, nay, positively arid, on Sundays.)