Where I live you can't buy beer on Sunday..But what if I walked into the grocery....

store, grabbed a six pack, stood in line and then flopped down a ten (for beer that was less than ten dollars). I made the statement “here is ten dollars for the beer take it or leave it, but I’m leaving with my beer” and then proceded to walk off. What crime could they charge me with? If nothing else couldn’t the store owner “hold” the money until the next day and then “ring” the sale (to prevent getting in trouble himself). I’m not a big drinker, but it seems like the only day I think about wanting beer is the very day I cannot purchase the stuff!

The beer is property of the grocery store, not yours, so I guess it would be plain old theft. Offering money for the beer you’re carrying away does not automatically establish a contract between you and the store; the beer remains another person’s property.

Hey Roland!
I’m not a big drinker either, but I can’t imagine not being able to buy beer/liquor on a sunday.
What is the point of outlawing liquor sales on Sundays anyway?
Really, I wanna know.

I’m from Canada and much like Germany, beer is a big part of our culture!

Also, I assume the ban on Sunday liquor sales is to prevent people from drinking on Sundays, but if thats the case, whats to stop “Joe Drinker” from buying himself a “Sunday stash” on Friday?

i am not sure what could be done to you legally, but i know of someone who has done this at a conv. store (after midnight on saturday night, to be specific). 'cept he didn’t wait in line, just walked up to the counter with a 12 pack, dropped the cash, and left saying ‘keep the change’. no one chased him.

damn stupid law though. you can go to a bar/restaurant and drink like a fish on sunday, but you can’t take it buy it to take home? oh, that’s sacred… :rolleyes:

of course, if weed were legal, i wouldn’t even worry about beer.

they sould let everyone poke smot on sundays who wants to. to reflect upon the week’s accomplishments. yeah. we can have meetings at my house. like church. except instead of passing the offering plate, we’ll pass a bowl.

why do i feel like submitting this will kill the thread…?

What law says you can’t buy beer on Sundays? I guess that law would dictate what crime you’d be charged with.

Anyway, I’d recommend buying some ahead of time, as someone said.

Stupid law indeed.

I used to live in a state where you couldn’t buy liquor in a store on Sunday, but you could buy it in a restaurant or certain bars that served food (like jujuju said).

The only reason I could figure was that in that state (predominantly Christian) you couldn’t buy stuff to take home but you COULD drive to a restaurant, get tanked then drive home drunk because God wanted you and whatever other lucky folks you could take with you to “come home to Heaven and be with Jesus.”

Yea! let’s support drunk driving! Yet more idiocy brought to you by religion.

they were written on “out East” in Conn. or someplace near there when they were first formulated. I think their history goes back to the “anti saloon” anti drinking movement which ultimately culminated in prohibition. The theory was that on Sunday you should either be in church (or if a non believer) be sober with your family. Here in my Midwestern state they have remained on the books since no politician wants to be seen as “anti morals” in what is a predominantly Christian state. These law allow liquor sales in bars IF the bar also sells a certain percentage of sales in food. In addition, car dealerships must also be closed on Sunday’s for some weird, wild, reason that I don’t understand.

About 20 years ago when I was a teenager I worked at a small hotel, the overnight shift. At 12 midnight I would have to put on a blocking device over the vending machine coin slot to stop people from buying candy. The town had a “blue” law against selling on Sunday. For some reason we could sell the soda pop.

The village would fine any place selling foods on Sunday. Not resturaunts just the grociers etc. It’s since been changed.

That is to say that in many localities the “soda fountains” could not sell soda on Sundays. Thus, ice cream Sundays were adopted as a substitute.

I don’t know why people still hold the sunday no alchohol thing.

But I think a store doesn’t have an OBLIGATION to serve you - I’m not sure whether it should, but I’m fairly sure in UK & US it doesn’t. That is, if you take something without their permission, it’s theft. Regardless of what you might leave.

There was a thread once about a man who walked past the cashier with a packet of gum and dropped the price on the counter, despite the cashier shouting at him to stop. A suggested explanation was that the store wanted to scan every purchase for stocktaking. Or that the man could have had something else in his pocket, or dropped a washer. I think it was agreed that (1) the man was legally wrong, but (2) if it’s a packet of gum, it’s reasonable to allow.

If you steal a case of beer, they’ll likely be less lenient.

In Britain you are unable to buy beer at certain times (I forget the exact times as I think they have changed recently) and the vendor could forfeit his booze licence if he sells alcohol at these forbidden times. The only way around this is to stash beer for these occasions which I regularly do as, like you, I often have a yen for beer on a Sunday but not so often any other time. I still don’t understand the rationale behind these laws but find it annoying that they exist, as they seem nonsensical to me. It has to be said though that a lot of shops seem to turn a blind eye to this rule as I discovered in Bristol, saying that, licensing laws seemed to be disregarded altogether where I lived as there were three pubs that were open 24/7 and were never closed down.

http://www.word-detective.com/051600.html#bluelaws

The “blue paper” theory is probably bunk.

It’s a local thing. The next town over you can’t buy beer before noon on Sundays.

I always wondered at the logic of that. Say I walk into the store at 11am, do my shopping leisurely, and hit the register at 11:45a. Sorry, no wine. But if I’d spent a couple of extra minutes checking out the nail polish selections, or perusing the fresh donuts and cupcakes, and hit the register at 12:01p, I could buy as much wine as I wanted.

Go figure.

While I was in High School, I worked at a pharmacy/grocery thingie. In TN you can’t buy beer until noon on Sunday. At 11 we would have the drunks lining up. Maybe I am an evil bitch, but I found this amusing. We were not to allow ANYONE to buy beer until EXACTLY noon. So if someone had a shopping cart full of cereal and milk, and they also had a six pack…they would have to wait. The customer would get pissed off…nevermind the fact that I am sure they knew better.

If I walked up to someone’s house and took a shine to their car, I can’t just leave $20,000 on their doorstep and tow their car away. I’d be charged with theft, regardless of the fact that I tried to pay them.

Same thing in the situation described in the OP. Since the store can’t legally sell the beer on Sunday, by taking it from the store you’re guilty of theft. If the store had taken your money, they would be guilty of violating your city’s ordinance.

IANAL

You might be drinking a bit too much nonetheless if you think you’ld get away with that. :wink: The store is legally bound not to sell you alcohol under the laws of the State, County, City, or other controlling legal authority. They would call the police and turn you in, and you would get a misdemeanor charge over something pretty silly.

In other words - because they can’t legally sell you the alcohol, they cannot engage in a legal transaction. And if they take no active or negligent part in making an illegal transaction, but you take that on yourself, then then was never any transaction, and thus you have walked out with goods obtained illegally.

Consider this thought experiment: You’re 20 years and 364 days old. It’s 11:00PM and on a Tuesday. You’re going to be 21 in 1 hour. You walk in, grab your case of Duff Blue (“taste the peppermint glacier!”) and walk past the cashier tossing a $5 and saying “hold it for an hour and then keep the change”. A legal sale could not have been made at that point, and as silly as the 1-hour gap between legal and illegal is, you’ve just stolen that case.

Remember, in these cases your real beef is with the State or other authority that made the laws, not the store. The store has to abide by the liquor laws or risk having its license to sell alcohol voided.

I live in CT. You can drink all you want in bars on Sundays but the package stores are closed and grocery stores don’t sell beer. Also, liquor sales end at 9:00 p.m.(at least, I think it’s 9:00–I don’t drink–it used to be 8:00 p.m.). Originally, these were the “blue laws.” At some point, liquor stores could stay open late, then, in the early 70s, there was a string of armed robberies of liquor stores and the owners got together to have 8:00 be the cut-off. They got a law passed to protect themselves against grocery stores selling past 8:00. I’m not sure why it went to 9:00 but apparently it doesn’t have much effect on sales.

I believe the car dealerships in CT are all voluntarily closed on Sundays–they want the day off–but it’s not mandated by law.

Can you even get it out of the fridge? In Montreal, we have a lockdown. From 11pm 'til 8am. The beer fridges are locked. Are you sure you can even access the booze on Sundays?

BTW… We used to have the same law here. It used to be that you couldn’t even return bottles on a Sunday, even if you didn’t want to exchange them for beer.

It’s not just spineless politicians…

I once had to travel for work to a dry county in the south.

I got talking one night to the motel clerk, who related that when proposals to lift the ban would come up on the ballot every few years, there would always be lots of local TV ads opposed to lifting the ban, and it always stayed in place.

Who paid for these ads?

The owners of package stores just outside the county, who apparently sold a lot of booze to residents of this ‘dry’ county.

I’m in Baltimore, MD, and we can’t even buy beer or wine in the grocery stores any time - it’s all sold in liquor stores, except on Sundays. You can get booze on Sundays from certain bars that have package stores attached. I think there are certain hours, though, 2:00 p.m. to 8:00 or 9:00 p.m.

You just have to plan ahead and buy your beer on Saturday.