Where Matthew, Mark, Luke and John originally called Matthew, Mark, Luke and John?

Huh? From what a Hebrew-speaking friend told me, the Hebrew for ‘Eve’ is ‘Chava’. ‘Ch’ as in ‘Chanukka’. Nothing like ‘Eve’ as it’s pronounced in English.

I have to confess to not checking before I posted, but as I remember it Eve is spelt Aleph Bet with the vowel denoting an “ee” sound, making it, pretty much, “Eve”. I’ll check my Hebrew Bible when I get home. Until then, Wikipedia agrees with you.

Eve is, in fact, “Chava.”

Adam is Adam, and while id does mean “man”, the etymology is the opposite of what you think - human beings are called “Bnei Adam”, or “Sons of Adam”, which in modern Hebrew is often shortened to “Adam.”

I thought it was… Jehovah!
rock bounces off head

I’m home, I’ve checked, and as the technical term goes, I’m pwned. Eve is indeed Chava and I have no idea where I picked up my misconception, only that I have a disturbingly strong memory of it.

You’re only making it worse for yourself, you know.

OK, I just have to inject a modern linguistic curiosity here. At one time, I’m told, Yaesu produced a very popular Marine radio (and maybe they still do). I’ve heard that coastal fishermen used to go into their local radio store and ask for “that Jesus radio.”

Yaesu, toy of ham’s desiring.

Can I just insert here my genuine wonder at the anglocentrism of the OP? Really, why would you think people living a dozen or so countries over, almost a thousand years before anything remotely resembling modern English actually existed, would have English names? :slight_smile:

If anyone here suggested that the names of the authors of the gospels were really spelled and pronounced ‘Mattheüs, Marcus, Lucas & Johannes’, I’d be pretty sure it was a joke.

Not anglocentrism, just plain ignorance. We’re always told that the apostles were called Matthew, Mark, John, and what have you, and you never hear their Aramaic/Hebrew/Semitic names, so it’s not a particularly stupid idea to assume that the actual names are very similar in pronunciation.

Given how similar Matthew and Mattheus are, would it really be that surprising?

Agreed. The question wasn’t whether the four evangelists had English names, but whether the names they did have had come down to us unaltered and adopted into English language.

The only anglocentrism here, I think, is being monolingual enough to have never encountered other languages’ versions of the biblical names.