Where the F*** did “cum” come from?

Cumming is orgasm by either a man or a woman. This helpful bit of info is supplied to you by…the 1970s? At least? Talk about being behind on the news.

All I know is that I can’t read magna-cum-laude without giggling any more.

[QUOTE=faithfool]
Is this a debate on which words were actually used for Quiet Riot’s greatest hit?
[/QUOTE]

Slade, actually.

[QUOTE=Chez Guevara]
11 people came in here inside 12 minutes.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, well, you’re hot.

[QUOTE=kaylasdad99]
I was introduced to the term, with this spelling, in 1974 by a Franciscan priest at Bishop Montgomery High School in Torrance, CA. The same priest told the class that ejaculate “splashing” against a woman’s cervix was an important benefit for the woman’s pleasure, so we should be mindful of this before doing anything so inconsiderate as use a condom.

Looking back, he might not have been the most reliable source of information.
[/QUOTE]

“Splashing,” huh? Someone should have told him that it doesn’t really splash that much when you’re practically dropping it off at the doorstep. :smiley:

[QUOTE=BayleDomon]
All I know is that I can’t read magna-cum-laude without giggling any more.
[/QUOTE]

Summa Cum Laude is worse. I remember a bad movie I saw once where the Asian exchange student claimed he graduated “Some Cum Loudly!”

[QUOTE=boytyperanma]
I prefer people us cum when refering to semen. It seems to cause less confussion. I think there should also be a different spelling for the past tense of cum. Not sure what would work well though.
[/QUOTE]
Cām?

[QUOTE=OneCentStamp]
“Splashing,” huh? Someone should have told him that it doesn’t really splash that much when you’re practically dropping it off at the doorstep. :smiley:
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but our Franciscan friend had a point about the pleasure thing. YMMV, of course.

[QUOTE=OneCentStamp]
“Splashing,” huh? Someone should have told him that it doesn’t really splash that much when you’re practically dropping it off at the doorstep. :smiley:
[/QUOTE]

Perhaps. As for me, I was in no position to furnish that insight for another four years.

[QUOTE=saoirse]
Slade, actually.
[/QUOTE]

Ah, thanks for the correction. I didn’t realize that Kevin DuBrow got his inspiration elsewhere.

However, now I’ve got a bit of trivia for you. Did you know that one of their former bass players, Dave Glover, was temporarily engaged to serial killer Rose West? At least according to the Crime Library. And yes, I know this is all terribly off the topic of ‘cum,’ but I thought others might find it interesting none-the-less. :o

[QUOTE=faithfool]
Ah, thanks for the correction. I didn’t realize that Kevin DuBrow got his inspiration elsewhere.

However, now I’ve got a bit of trivia for you. Did you know that one of their former bass players, Dave Glover, was temporarily engaged to serial killer Rose West? At least according to the Crime Library. And yes, I know this is all terribly off the topic of ‘cum,’ but I thought others might find it interesting none-the-less. :o
[/QUOTE]

I was actually referring to the Hugh Grant movie.

Oh well then, color me an idiot. I’ll just take my goofy factoid and go play in a different thread. :wink:

…one good reason for the spelling may be that it just works better in epithets like cumguzzler, cumbucket, cumrag, &c.

[QUOTE=saoirse]
Probably the Krusty the Klown Konnotations.
[/QUOTE]

KKK? That isn’t good.

Kumstain? Kumbucket? Kumguzzler? It don’t work, mate.

[QUOTE=tdn]
Yeah, well, you’re hot.
[/QUOTE]
I am now.

[QUOTE=BayleDomon]
All I know is that I can’t read magna-cum-laude without giggling any more.
[/QUOTE]

Magna cum laude? Heh. Yo’ mamma cum laude! :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

I’m so sorry

[QUOTE=kaylasdad99]
I was introduced to the term, with this spelling, in 1974 by a Franciscan priest at Bishop Montgomery High School in Torrance, CA. The same priest told the class that ejaculate “splashing” against a woman’s cervix was an important benefit for the woman’s pleasure, so we should be mindful of this before doing anything so inconsiderate as use a condom.
[/QUOTE]
It would have been worth the beating to ask him about the comparative benefits of splashing on the face.

I don’t mind “cum” for orgasm, but there’s at least one poster in GQ who persists in writing OPs with titles like “Howcum this thing or that happens?”

STOP IT!

[QUOTE=Sierra Indigo]
I don’t mind “cum” for orgasm, but there’s at least one poster in GQ who persists in writing OPs with titles like “Howcum this thing or that happens?”

STOP IT!
[/QUOTE]
Oddly enough, there was an old strip in the funny pages, called There Oughta Be a Law, that made frequent use of the supposedly comical rhetorical convention, “Howcumzit”?

As in, for instance, “Howcumzit? The ice cream factory makes a big deal about how their product is created in the most hygienic of conditions, untouched by human hands, but when it gets to the ice cream parlor, it’s scooped up by hairy-armed gorillas who don’t even wear gloves!”