Where will Switzerland stage the America's Cup?

That traditional maritime nation, Switzerland, with its glorious history of yachting supremacy, is now the custodian of the America’s Cup, following Alinghi’s sweep of New Zealand. Yes, they used a nearly-all Kiwi crew, but still, the chocolate-eating neutrality monkeys have the trophy that used to be bolted into the case in the New York Yacht Club.

So what happens the next time? Does the nation that holds the Cup actually have to host the next challenge? Will there be enough room on Lake Como for this, or will the Swiss make it easier on the crew and race in New Zealand again?

First the Jamaican bobsled team, now this.

It’ll probably be held in Las Palmas, from what I’ve heard.

This news story, http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20030302/sp_nm/sailing_americas_dc_18--which is several days old–says

Anybody have any more recent news?

Dear god, I hope not the Med. I want a possible thrill like the Hobart or the Fastnet, deadly and dangerous, where mans wits and guts meet the sea. Not a race where rich topless babes can watch the race from the deck of a yacht while sipping cocktails.

Well, except in truth, in which case I’d take the topless babes.

So they cannot holdit on any of there lakes. AlthoughI doubt it would be that hard to change the rule that preventsit.

I don’t know where they will hold it, they’ve got years to decide, but I’m rooting for the Isle of Wight, home of the first race.

Then we’ve got time to bring Ted Turner out of retirement!

They haven’t decided exactly yet, but it’s somewhere in the Med, there where mentions of Spain or Portagual but nothing concrete.

Oh, ElvisL1ves, they definitly won’t be holding it in NZ. There were some death threats made to two members of the Alinghi and the national resentment to the Kiwi members is very high.

Last time I looked, Portugal had no mediterranean coast. From what I’ve heard, Lisbon is indeed a serious contender, and that would put the race in the Atlantic.