Where's the farthest point from a Wal-Mart in the contiguous 48 states?

Somewhere in Montana maybe?

Well, this isn’t a definitive answer, but here’s a map of every Walmart:
http://www.walmartstoremap.com/

Looks like somewhere in Eastern Nevada to me.

Interesting question. I’m just glad there’s not one in NYC!

I find this map fascinating and horrifying:

Watching the Growth of Wal-Mart across America

The answer to the OP’s question seems to be either Nevada, as suggested by enalzi, or perhaps northern Montana.

Except that Alaska is very much undersized in the map. I’m guessing the north coast of Alaska is farther from a Wal-Mart than any place in Nevada.

Looks like it’s somwhere close to Austin, NV to me

Johnny L.A.: That may well be, but it’s not in the contiguous 48 states.

That was one of the scariest things I have ever seen. The only word that comes to mind is plague.

It’s like watching the spread of Captain Trips. :eek:

My house.

Reason?

To us Walmart does not exist. We refuse to patronize it. Walmart/Sams Clubs can all close down and explode and it would mean absolutely nothing to us.

That shows how carefully I read OPs just before going to bed! :smack:

I was thinking infestation myself. Eww.

Oh, come now, folks.

Would anyone like to explain why the growth of Wal-Mart is any more damaging to the U.S. than the growth of Sears Roebuck in the 1920s and '30s?

Reminds me of this photo.

Well, from a purely mathematical, rather than a political, point of view:

Sears Roebuck, 1933: approx. 1 store for every 342,000 Americans

Walmart, 2007: approx. 1 store for every 95,000 Americans

Nor in San Francisco, though there is one near the Oakland Airport.

Maybe not, don’t forget about Walmart Canada. There is a Walmart in Cranbrook, about 90 miles from the Montana border.

I don’t find it horrifying or even bad to see Walmart spread. They’re just discount stores. I buy stuff there.

What I did find surprising was how long they were a southcentral chain only. I thought they’d been coast to coast for a lot longer than that.

I understand your point, but any good plague would have killed off the high-density cities in California much, much faster.

Has anyone figured where the 2 closest Wal-Marts are locate? There are 2 in Federal Way, Washington located less than 2 miles from each other. Someone living between the two would live within a mile of each store.