Where's the mini-rant thread when I need it?

SmartAleq, when our nice elderly neighbor sold the house after living in it for 60 years, the new guy decided to rip out most of the bushes and trim the bottom branches of the hollyhock because he wanted to get a mower back there without walking around the other side of the house. He also took out the Lilac bush that was planted by the newlyweds 60 years ago. We loved that lilac, as it provided the last bit of privacy and a nice smell. Now I stand at my full length glass kitchen door and eat cereal in the nude. It’s not a sight I’d like to see, and I hope I am ruining his corn flakes every morning.

Well, the city of Calgary was out there a week ago dumping gravel and dirt on the roads to chip paint, crack windshields, filthify your vehicle after every rain for the rest of the year, and, possibly, to add traction to the road lost from the ice and snow… But wouldn’t it have made more fucking sense to put the damned gravel over the ice and snow, not on the bare pavement and before it has snowed or gotten icy?!

My fucking amplifier broke last night. I can’t play any tunes in my house.

I need music to concentrate and I have none! Arg! Gah!

The silence is deafening!

Listen Insomnia. I have made it quite clear that you are not welcome in my home. If you absolutely must come, then come during the day when I’m supposed to be awake. If you must come at night, be a polite guest and only stay for a half hour. I will read a book with you, or watch TV or surf the net. However, staying for over two hours is just plan rude. Please, just leave me alone!

You need an amplifier for that?
C’mon, have some respect for the neighbors. They don’t need to hear you goin’ at it.

Aww, poor lilac! Some people have no soul… Might I suggest that as you’re macking on your breakfast every morning that you also develop a dreadful itchy rash on your manparts*? I bet watching you scratch between bites would put your uppity neighbor right off his fresh fried lobster in a heartbeat and maybe send him running full tilt to the local nursery for a lovely new lilac to plant as his very own commemorative addition to local property values and privacy? If more escalation is needed, sniff your hand and grimace mightily before grabbing your toast… :eek:

*Assuming, of course, that you are indeed a man type person who could reasonably be expected to have manparts… :wink:

Shecky, our neighbours cut down the lovely hedge between our front yards this winter (on his property - I have no legitimate beef). I am planning to put a fence on MY property over there, because his bush butchery makes my yard look terrible. I can’t do anything about what he does with his yard, but I sure as hell can fix MY yard.

I have annoying animals… sigh

Cat? Mr. DearSweetILoveYouPuddyPuddy McPratchett? You did know that I was sitting here in my chair with my lunch on the arm, right? I just wanted to enjoy my lovely ploughman’s lunch in peace, the sharp cheddar, the pepper jack, the naan bread–but most especially I was looking forward to the garlicky goodness of the spicy marinated garlic stuffed olives my daughter brought me from her last trip to Cali. Was it really, REALLY necessary for you to launch yourself at Warp 7.9 straight into me via the olive jar? Did it fulfill some urgent kitty need you had to create mayhem as the olive jar toppled to the floor, spilling about 80% of the brine onto the carpet, my laptop power supply, the remotes and the fuzzy blanket? Did you hear my scream of anguish as the precious garlicky morsels tumbled out of the jar, becoming inextricably one with the wads of fuzzy cat hair you left earlier? Did you even care that I then had to eat a lot more olives than I really wanted, since without brine to float in they get nasty very quickly? Is there some really **good **reason I shouldn’t hang you by your tail over a full washtub then release the tail?

Beautiful but irritating beyond belief, that’s my kitty! Just to prove it, here’s a picture of him doing his sulky face, just like he did after I scolded him for splooshing my olives…

Try having a roommate who smokes in a house that you’re not allowed to smoke in (of course, he still smokes in his room late at night or when he first gets up, because we can’t smell it unless we’re right outside his door, and I don’t think he thinks we know, cause he’s not all there. All I know is, if the landlord gets pissed and wants to keep some of the security deposit, it’s coming out of his share.)

Anyway, here are two pictures of my front lawn.

Oh, and that patch of mud that used to be a lawn is where he and another roommate refused to use the walkway/driveway and just shoved a path through the snow over the lawn, and when it got wet and muddy, continued to walk on it and thus ruined the lawn.

I could start a whole pit thread on mt roommates.

I’m probably going to get slammed for this, but I hate ALL smokers who just throw their butts on the ground. It’s littering, I don’t care what you call it. Especially when it’s still smoking, that bothers me even more. Even more so when merely 10 feet away there is a sand-thingy for you to put your butt out in. Goddamn entitled assholes.

I also would like to rant about my boss who can’t do a single thing by himself without 6 people holding his hand and without getting everyone involved.

So it is true, what they say about cowgirls… nice to know.

This past winter we hired a guy to keep our driveway clear. To make room for the gobs of snow we had this past winter, he pushed snow about 15 feet east of the driveway. A good idea, however he managed to cut 10 swaths of sod off the lawn.

You know, when you see the first clump of dirt/grass coming out of your bucket, maybe, just maybe, don’t do the same fucking thing 9 more times.

I have been the recipient of a few of those charming personalized emails and whether to reply or not is a tough call. If one is not interested, do they simply ignore the email or write back they are not interested and risk hurting a stranger’s feelings. I often wondered if it is better for the gentleman to think that she simply no longer is searching.

Sorry for the hijack.

bouv, I don’t think I could tolerate my front yard looking like that. As a kid I never understood the old folks getting so crabby about their yards; I understand it much better now, now that I spend so much time and effort getting my yard to look presentable. I pick up all the garbage that blows onto my yard, but the cigarette butts go right back onto the road; I have a mental block against picking up someone else’s disgusting butt that has no business being on my yard and taking it into my house into the garbage.

Just for the record, cigarette butts DO NOT biodegrade like paper; they take somewhere between a year and forever to break down, and I DO NOT want people’s cigarette butts breaking down on my front lawn anyway, regardless of how long it takes. Cigarette butts are trash, and need to be disposed of properly like all trash, not tossed on the ground or out your car window.

For me at least, a single sentence saying “thanks for the flattering email, but I’m not interested” would be fine. Not something that is ambiguous for fear of hurting my feelings, but something so that at least I’m not left wondering whether an email got lost or what have you…

ooookay.

Reason #473 that it sucks to be a single-parent: I have the flu and an almost 3 yr old. She’s a great kid but every-freaking-time I get comfortable on the couch she needs to pee or something. Plus I have to yell at my oldest to get her to do her school project even though she’s at her dad’s house! Why the fuck can’t he take some responsibility?

I’m sick of the lazy-ass people in my community who think nothing of littering. Of all the places I’ve lived, even in the projects as a teen, I’ve never seen the amount of trash strewn about as I do here.

I swear I’m going to become one of those characters who take it upon themselves to clean up the roadsides. You probably know the type. You’ll see them for years, always out walking and picking up trash. You may even want to commend them for cleaning up the place, but there’s something a little off about them that sets off faint alarm bells in your head, so you never actually do it. Then, one day, they disappear, never to be seen again. That may be me sometime in the future.

Speaking of cigarette butts, TikkiDad and I had occasion to visit the local emergency room twice this weekend when he was having difficulty breathing. The first time, I nearly stepped in a pile of leftover buffalo wings as I got out of the car. The second time, I noticed somewhere between 100 to 150 cigarette butts along a 30-40 foot stretch near the curb outside the emergency room door. Come on, I understand that you may be worried and stressed about your loved one inside and feel you need a cigarette to calm down, but can’t you knock the ash off the butt and put what’s left in trash can that you have to pass anyway on the way back into the emergency room?

TikkiDad is doing much better today, thanks to all the nice people who have been involved in his care there, by the way. The doctor is leaning toward him having a bit of emphysema, though he quit smoking over 15 years ago.

And speaking of TikkiDad and other elderly folk, too, it sucks big blue donkey balls to get old. But that’s more than a minor rant so I’ll save it for another thread.

My mini rant of the day:

Do NOT, under any circumstances, eat a mess of fried fish at your desk!! The stench is unbelievable. Gag

It’s bad enough when the maroon in the cube next to me brings in liver and onions or reheated spaghetti. But when the offending fish eater is half down the floor and I’m here gagging…

We’ve banned colognes, perfumes, and body sprays. Maybe we need to make a list of offensive foods that can only be eaten in the basement breakroom.

EWWWW! RAISINS!!

I just bought a nice fresh loaf of bread. It was labelled “MULTI GRAIN BREAD MADE WITH FRESH MULTI GRAINS” Since it is fresh, there are no ingredients listed.

What kind of “FRESH MULTI GRAIN” is a raisin?

Eww!

Yes, they’re nice for toast. Perhaps, if you’re one of those raisin-liking weirdos. (And you know who you are … :dubious: )

But I do NOT want raisins in my salami sandwich! Eww! Grody!

The only thing grosser was last week when I ordered a roti with spinach and channa (chick peas) and got a roti with spinach, channa, peas (which I hate), corn (which I don’t mind, in certain contexts, of which roti is not one), and TVP chunks! TVP CHUNKS! I can even understand the peas and corn, because technically I guess they are somewhat common (if gross) roti fillings. But TVP chunks? Horror.

See, this is why I never eat out.

This is definitely a tiny little rant - more of a WTF than a rant, really. I went to the dentist to get my night guard for my teeth today, and gave the front desk my name - let’s call me April Cooper. The receptionist asked what time the appointment was for; I said 2:30. She said, “Oh, April Frost?” I said, “No, April Cooper.” I think that was a real “duh” moment for her - keep looking until you find something that is at least close, would ya? I think you’ll find most people don’t actually use aliases at the dentist.

What the heck are TVP chunks, cowgirl?

Textured Vegetable Protein. Sounds disgusting. But at least it’s not, like, people.