Which band best typifies "hard rock"?

If you had to pick one band to represent “hard rock”, which would it be?

Off the cuff, I’d go with AC/DC.

That’s a really good choice.

Zeppelin, baby!

I think of Zeppelin as being more heavy metal than strictly hard rock, but I think that they, and AC/DC, are excellent examples.

When do we start the Definition jihad?

Mmm, hard one. I think Cream.

Deep Purple should be on the list somewhere.

I agree, Led Zep is my first thought followed by Black Sabbath.

Good suggestions so far, I’d throw The Who in there as well for consideration.

It won’t be started by me. :slight_smile: When I was younger, I didn’t really understand the difference between “heavy metal” and “hard rock,” and even now, that I do sort of grok it, it’s kind of a fluid distinction. Some bands (like Black Sabbath) are clearly heavy metal, some (AC/DC) clearly are not, but I supposed that they’re all hard rock.

I like the AC/DC suggestion. They didn’t spend much time on ballads or nuance.

Yeah, Zeppelin is the group that all the others followed at a great distance.

I know that Cream and the Yardbirds and early Kinks all had elements that Zep built on, but they’re the one who put them together into a sound. As with the Beatles, everything changed after they pointed the way.

All good picks. But I would go with the Who with Keith Moon on drums. They kicked serious ass back in the day when back in the day actually meant a long time ago.

Let’s confuse things a bit by tossing out the first band to use the term “heavy metal,” but were definitely hard rock: Steppenwolf.

Yeah, Sabbath to me is metal, more than “hard rock” but it’s all a continuum. Zeppelin I do think of as hard rock, but they early on were, as I understand it, regarded as metal. And they have a lot of imagery I associate with metal. But their early stuff especially was foundational blues-based hard rock. I also thought of Deep Purple, but they kind of fall into the same category.

I like the Who being in this discussion. That would probably be my #2 choice. But I’ll stick with my off-the-cuff response now that I’ve had time to think about it, as if I had to demonstrate hard rock to an alien who has never heard it before, nobody distills it to its absolute essence like AC/DC’s 3-chord hard rock, with that powerfully, steady, stomping Phil Rudd drumming.

Even though I first mentioned The Who, there’s a case to be made for the answer to this question to be settled by the opening bars of “Back in Black”. I mean, if you needed to give an example of what you mean by “hard rock” to a group of aliens, I’m not sure what else you would need.

It’s funny. That’s exactly the song that’s been ping-ponging in my head since I first opened the thread. :slight_smile:

Can’t understand how I could have forgotten about Bubble Puppy. From 1968. Hard? We’re talking granite.

Another vote for the Who. Or maybe The Who; I’m not sure which is correct.