Which country has the best cuisine?

France. You can’t get bad food in France (or in Montreal, which follows similar traditions).

Sure you can. You can get bad food anywhere. There are just as many bad restaurants in Paris as there are in New York.

For me, it would be a toss-up between Indian, Mexican, Thai and Korean.

Konkani. Because it’s a combo of north and south Indian, and uses awesome spices like kokum, watamba and triphal/teppala. Kerala coming in close second, but that’s pure South and then Mumbai street food.

Or you could just say “food found in Bombay” to get everything you wanted :slight_smile:

I don’t know. I used to think I could happily eat Indian food for the rest of my life, but then I spent two and a half months in India (in Andhra Pradesh, NiceGuyJack) and did eventually get bored with it. And I started craving things that were hard to get, like…apples. (Did eventually find them in a Western-style supermarket, but they were EXPENSIVE.)

I’ve had plenty of bad French food in France.

Don’t get me wrong - I love French food, and done well it’s amazing. But what got me after spending 3 weeks touring around France is how uniform it is. Most towns in the US - especially towns that tourist visit - will have a choice of cuisines. French, Italian, Chinese, etc. In France, outside of Paris, every single restaurant was French food. A lot of very good French food, delicious French food, but man, at the end of 3 weeks, we got back to Paris, and spent our last 4 days in France eating Japanese and Italian. I was even sick of pate and croissants, which are pretty much my absolutely favorite two types of food. We ate breakfast at fookin’ McDonalds one day, if you can believe it, because I couldn’t get my head around yet another French pastry.

Oddly enough, even though it’s not quite my favorite cuisine, France is the one place I’ve been to (several times) where pretty much every single meal I had there was better than adequate. In fact, the awakening I had and what impelled my passion for food was staying a night at a cheap hotel, where a Continental style breakfast was included in the price. In other words, just bread, butter, jams, jellys, and maybe some cold cuts. Who the fuck gets excited about a Continental breakfast? Anyhow, I woke up groggy in the morning, cut open a baguette, spread some butter on it, and mechanically placed it in my mouth and began to chew. I just wanted early morning calories.

But holy shit. Honestly, up until that moment, I had no idea how good bread and butter could taste. To this day, I remember that moment as the one where I truly learned that cooking is all about the quality of the ingredients–that some of the best food in the world is simply prepared–but just requires the best of ingredients.

But, as to the OP, if I had to pick one cuisine, it would probably be Thai.

I prefer Indo-European.

You have a good point. If you are in one place too long, you do tend to get bored with the local food. Whenever I go to India, I start craving beef. It’s the oddest thing. As soon as I step foot in India, my brain screams for beef. Even though the Indian food is fantastic.

… then go to Kerala! Kerala Beef Fry is nothing short of amazing.

Indian it is!

I’d love to spend some time traveling around India, but my trips there are business related and I usually only have three stops. Delhi, Mumbai and Bangalore.

There is a Goan restaurant in Mumbai which I try to visit every time I go there.
It’s called Goa Portuguesa.
Not as spicy as Andhra food, and a lot more meaty, but the flavors are fantastic.
Beef is served in Goan cuisine as Goa is mainly Christian so cows aren’t treated as holy.
I’m surprised about Kerala though. Not very Christian unless you are in Pondicherry, so beef wouldn’t be a usual ingredient.

Actually 20 % of the population in Kerala is Christian. Kerala is, after all, the place where the apostle Thomas went to spread the gospel (according to local traditions, at least). There used to be a Jewish community as well. The Malabar coast was visited extensively by European trade ships - that might have had something to do with the (relative) prevalence of eating beef.

Also: Pondicherry is not in Kerala but on the east coast. It is actually a Union Territory on its own. (the food there is amazing as well, btw. French/Indian seafood FTW!)

I agree, there is so much good food in the world that it is hard to pick.

I love watching Tony Bourdain surfing around the world getting to eat the incredible food. I would love to win a lottery and hire him to ‘cooks tour’ me around the world for about 4 months burp

Then I would have to check into a hospital somewhere for a gastic bypass … and a liposuction @_@

Bad example. I lived in Manhattan for two years and I don’t remember eating in a bad restaurant.

Damn all of you. I don’t even eat breakfast and I’m craving vindaloo.

First thought was Italian, but the mention of spice made me realize it’s Indian. Vietnamese is a close second since it has Thai type flavors but also that lovely French influence. Third, Mexican. I don’t think many Americans understand the variety there. Spicy little street tacos, Mexico City haute cuisine, and Yucatecan turkey and achitote. And I’m entirely forgetting Veracruz seafood.

Damn you all!

For me its Hawaiian food. Mmmmm…can’t get enough of that poi.

Damning with faint praise? :smiley:

Elisabeth Lambert Ortiz wrote about Mexican cuisine before Diana Kennedy. Living in Mexico City with her diplomat husband, she was determined to learn how to cook even before she learned Spanish. After he was posted to Thailand, she tested many of her recipes on the locals; they loved the rich & spicy tastes!

We get quite a bit of regional Mexican food in Houston. From the haute Hugo’s to the unassuming place Houston food writer Robb Wash took a visiting celebrity:

Bayless wanted to include a chapter on Tex-Mex in his first book; good Tex-Mex (& other US variants) can be excellent. But his publisher wouldn’t allow it.

So, yes, Mexican food from both sides of The Border can be wonderful. (There’s no excuse for Taco Bell.) But with a world full of food, how can you limit yourself?

For me, who loooooves all kind of food, if I only had to choose one, I’d choose Japanese.

I’m sorry, but that doesnt mean anything. If French food is so highly praised it is precisely because every village, every region kind of developped its own dishes. So if you move across France, you wont find “only French food”, you will find the local specialties, that you probably wont get elsewhere. I understand that, as a tourist, you may have missed that, but it’s the principle on which relies French cuisine.