Which country has the worst cuisine?

Quantify it however you want.

I’m leaning towards British. Why do you guys think vinegar goes well on everything?

I actually kind of like British cooking, roast beef and Yorkshire pudding, fisherman pie etc.

Nah, it’s probably some dirt-poor country like Somalia. Do they even have “cuisine” in Somalia?

Well look there are a lot of countries, half of which don’t even have any"cuisine" so to speak. A lot of the rest would be considered borrowed from neighboring countries.

I suspect you mean “which of the prominent countries”, in which case it’s definitely the US.

I’m really not bashing American food, I love it. It’s great for being cheap and quick and suited to the American lifestyle. But as far as premium cuisine is concerned, we pretty much borrow from other (mostly European) countries.

Once again, it’s not a judgment, it’s based on the fact that we’ve have relatively little time to develop distinctive high class cuisine.

Arctic cuisine where diets are high in seal/whale fats and they require narwhal skin for Vitamin C and food is mostly “eaten frozen, raw, or boiled, with very little mixture of ingredients and with very few spices added.”

I knew, I just knew, someone would come up with British. Thirty or more years ago, possibly. Nowadays, you can get some of the finest cooking in the world; and not just in big cities. Rural pubs and cafes can supply superb food.

If you’re going to go with stereotypes, why not the US? Endless burgers and fries. And what is it with you guys with ketchup? (I know it’s not completely true, but it is how the US is seen by some people.) Like most countries, you can get both great food and complete rubbish in both the USA and the UK.

I’ve heard Mongolian food is an acquired taste.

Funny… I was going to say American. You guys deep-fry everything, you think cheese is bright yellow and comes wrapped in cellophane, and high-class seasoning means chucking a load of bacon salt on everything.

The largest fast-food firms are all American - Subway, McDonalds, Burger King, Dunkin Donuts, KFC and Pizza Hut… that’s America’s contribution to world cuisine.

Y’all must be very proud :slight_smile:

Actually US was my first choice because of hamburgers and hot dogs. But then I remembered:
Barbecue ribs
Cajun shrimp
KFC
Prime rib
BLT
Shave ice
Snickers
Coca Cola
etc.

I don’t think I’ve ever been prouder to be an American. :cool:

Vinegar’s traditional on fish and chips, but you’ll have to give me a clue about what else you think we put it on, because I’m drawing a blank.

This seems to be turning into a war between the US and the UK. As the great Harry Hill says: ‘There’s only one way to sort this out: FIGHT!’

We just know this thread is going to end really badly, so I may as well wade in. What, besides chips, do you think we slather in vinegar?

But in my experience, I’ve had some truly dreadful food in Prague. There’s just so much tripe casserole a girl can take.

Well, my knowledge of UK food is pretty slim. But, looking at my post above, I really, really doubt that the UK has anything that could match say Coca Cola.

You might want to look at this site. Apparently, it’s great for growing azaleas, polishing cars, and reducing itching, among many other things. But, on food, not so much.

Colonial Wars part II? :smiley:

PS. “Chips” are actually “Freedom Fries.”

Several American cuisines were well-established before the fast food I presume you’re thinking of was invented, and some fusion forms have developed since. Hell, Native Americans had distinctive cuisine before any of my ancestors touched the continent.

The idea that cuisine necessarily is, or should be, “high class” represents a sad misunderstanding and often a disconnect from one’s own heritage. The French don’t eat haute cuisine all the time; some never do.

Okay, I feel strongly and maybe somewhat controversially about this.

Worse food that I’ve had personal experience of: Ireland. Actually, traditional Irish food like bacon and cabbage can be quite nice if not particularly imaginative, but the standard of anything more “fancy” is low and the prices are ridiculous. Example: A café near where I used to live offered a wrap with goats’ cheese, pesto, lettuce and sweet chili sauce. And sold lots of 'm.

I’ve never lived in Scotland, but have lived with Scots on more than one occasion and have looked on in horror at what they were “cooking”.

As for England. The English media (and some posters here) bang on about how much British cuisine has improved and fantastic it now is. Improved, yes, fantastic, sorry but no. You can certainly find fantastic food in certain places, but the overal standard, what your average English person actually eats, is nowhere near as high as the press would like to believe.

yep, even a wiki page it Somali cuisine - Wikipedia
the east coast of africa has a lot indian/arabic influences, most of sounds realy nice

I think the worse cuisine would be some west african country,

The way I’ve been looking at it is: if I went to a small pub/cafe/restaurant in a small town/village, what would I expect to get? I haven’t been to the US for about twenty years, but I used to drive across it quite often, and I would expect burgers or steaks. Now, in the UK, you can get almost anything. In fact, the most common food is Indian and Chinese. Along the coasts, you’ll find plenty of fish restaurants (and you will find a lot of fish and chips throughout the country. That’s where you’ll get your vinegar!) There’s also the regional specialities, like Cornish pasties.

Talk about generalization. To pronounce “British” food as the worst is to ignore the good stuff they do have. I actually like British food. Sausage and Mash, Shepard’s Pie.
With modern British food, curry has become as British as fish and chips. Having a late night Vindaloo after the pub closes is great.
I wouldn’t say it’s the worst, but I do find Korean cuisine gets boring after awhile. Why do they serve kim chi with every meal. Breakfast, lunch and dinner, there is always kim chi. I do like kim chi, but I just get bored with it when it’s always served.
The absolute worst for me must be American fast food. Awful!

The following vinegars should be a staple in any decent cook’s pantry:

• red wine vinegar
  • white wine vinegar
  • rice wine vinegar
  • malt vinegar
  • cider vinegar
  • balsamic vinegar
  • sherry vinegar
  • raspberry vinegar

Utterly and completely essential in French, Italian and Spanish cuisine, and very widely used in English cuisine.

How on earth do you guys dress a salad without a decent vinagrette?