[QUOTE=Quiddity Glomfuster]
I have to agree. I’ve visited quite a few cities in the US east and west and while there are differences, I find there is a certain sameness. International news is hard to find - you have to make an effort to find out what’s going on on the planet. Grocery shopping can be very frustrating - a lot of pre-processed food and fatty things and small produce departments.
For me, the biggest problem is the issue of safety. I’ve never known anyone who even knew anyone in Canada who’d been shot where a lot of Americans on the boards I read speak of local gunfire as commonplace, or at least not unusual.
If you were to move to the US, you’d want to choose a large centre that offers the kind of cultural and gustatory variety you probably are used to (I’ve been to a US city that had two restaurants - both diners! ) but then you’d have to find a safe area in that city. I just can’t imagine living someplace where it’s unsafe to go for walks after dark.
There are a couple places in the States that I could spend extended periods of time in happily but I don’t think I could hack living there all year round. I go for visits and quite enjoy them but visiting is very different from living in a place.
Tripadvisor dot com has people in every city who’ll tell you what to visit in their town. I’ve also seen people asking about moving to cities and getting very helpful advice so you might want to try that if you want specifics about certain cities.
[/QUOTE]
You haven’t been to nearly as much of the US as you think you have if you believe this to be true. Having lived in the US my entire life, I can tell you that you are very mistaken.