Which do you eat first: the burger or the fries?

I almost never get fries anymore. My body just doesn’t need a burger and fries. But back when I did, I can’t think of a time I’ve ever eaten the fries first. I might have a bite of a couple, then dig into the burger, have a couple with the burger, but the vast majority get eaten after I finish my burger.

I don’t eat burgers, so I refuse to dignify your impertinent question with a serious answer.

Or… if I substitute burger for “whatever else, I dunno, chicken maybe?” then it’s combination. A little of this, a little of that.

Less your bit about feeding dogs, the above is exactly me. A taste of carbs, then eat the burger sans bun, then top off with a couple more fries and that course of the meal is done.

With a side order of this:

Subject to the quibble that fries don’t get “all gone.” I’ll be done with all I’m going to eat lickety-split, but that’ll still leave 80% of the fries sitting there.

Well depends on the place. I never finish Five Guys fries because they give you too many. Shake Shack gives you a more reasonable amount.

Any meal that has separate items is eaten going back and forth between them. I can’t think of anything I’ve ever had where I’d finish all of one thing and then start on the other. That just seems weird to me.

The way I see it, either you’re mixing your foods, or you aren’t. If you’re mixing your food, great - put it all in bowl and stir it together, or stuff it all in a sandwich. It you aren’t, that means every item should have its own distinct flavor. So you either drink some water and then wait to clean your palette between each bite, or you make your job easier by eating one food at a time.

That’s … a point of view. I guess.

I’ve taken up your slack. We almost never do fast food, but since I bought an air fryer I find myself making fries very often. Often enough that my gf might be tempted to say something (which she won’t because, hey, I’m making dinner).

I never order fries. But when they are served to me I eat them first to savor the rest more. They take the edge of hunger and I can then linger more on the rest.

Whether driving home with takeout or having it served to me, I always eat at least one fry first. Even though it’s a side, to me the fries are the main event. After that I eat them equally until I start to feel full. At that point, I’ll give up on the burger and eat a few more fries. I’ve often had fries with no burger / sandwich, but I have no interest in a burger if there are no fries (or at least, potato chips).

Well, yeah. I never understood why anyone would eat any other way.

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:
I don’t eat everything at the literal same time. I’ll have a bit of one thing, then a bite of another. I’ve never had trouble tasting whatever it is. It is nothing like putting everything together into a blender, that is a bizarre interpretation.

That seems to be how most people I see eat meals.

…In retrospect, I also may have a spot of undiagnosed OCD.

Could be, could be …

Fries get cold faster than burgers. I eat 'em up quick.

You aren’t alone. I too am in the “eat things one at a time” camp; I usually start with sides and end at protein though.

It was always a source of gentle ribbing, as I even turn my plate to put whatever portion I’m eating to the front as I work my way around!

I voted “depends on” but

this is what I usually do. I nibble on some hot fries, then I eat my burger, then if I’m still hungry I’ll eat more fries. But if the fries are really good, I may eat a bunch of them first.

The Japanese call this “triangular eating,” and it’s supposed to ensure you get a balanced meal (that you eat your veggies, in other words). Not that this really applies to a burger and fries.

I alternate my burger and fries, generally having some cold fries left at the end. If they are good fries I don’t mind them being cold.

For the record, just because I eat fries first doesn’t mean that’s how I would eat a plate of food. In that case, it’s much more even, though I will more often favor a food I really enjoy.

It really is for me that fries get too cold too fast. I’m eating huge clumps of them at a time. All that surface area gets them cold faster, I presume.

I have had fries that don’t deteriorate in flavor and quality so quickly (even sometimes tasting good full on cold), but, as I said, I’m basically stuck with McDonald’s now.

The Pie