Which is the best detterant against Jewish vampires?

Is he an Orthodox or Reform vampire?

Try Guilt.

With the large “G”.

Well, it’s apparent from the huge variety of literature on the subject that there are multiple different varities of vampire; “traditional” vampires, whose aversion to the Cross is based on the “fact” that it is the symbol of the One True God, and that said vampires are in league with the devil; “modern” vampires, whose symbol-wariness tends to be based on personal belief before death; and even such oddities as vampirism as a medical condition (think Morbius from “Spider-Man”- I always found him a bit odd because, hey, aren’t there real vampires in the Marvel universe?).

Now, I don’t think a Star of David would work against any of these: for the first two, it’s not really a “religous symbol”, so unless we assume vamp. type 2, and a formerly devout jew who is also stupid enough to think of the star as being a symbol of his (ex?)faith, it won’t effect them, any more than it will medical vampires. I think you’d be much safer going for the tried-and-tested: holy water (should work for almost any type of vampire), garlic (this one tends to be constant in all vampire stories, as well) and maybe silver, cold iron, or wood (through the heart).

Meshugganah

You, Sir, never had my aunt’s cabbage rolls.

As the Chosen people, perhaps Jews have an intrinsic holiness. Sort of a…vampire forcefield, I guess. :stuck_out_tongue:

Nah, you’re thinking of the Unitarians.
We were chosen to make G-d known to other people, and quit because they killed us for it. :slight_smile:

Nah, I meant due to the idea that it is empowered with holiness by a servant of the “one true god”- if the Vampire in question is from a universe where the judeo-christiain-islamic deity is top dog, then any holy water blessed by a Christian, Jewish or Muslim priest ought to burn him equally- not because of the priest, but because of the holiness.

Oh, and I meant that garlic is a common factor in nearly all garlic stories, so it ought to work equally for gentile and jewish vampires.

Jews don’t have priests anymore, since we no longer have a Temple. A Jewish vampire wouldn’t be afraid of Christian parapnalia unless his Mother was worried about his converting. :slight_smile:

Not if he became immune to my Aunt’s cooking while he was alive.

Yah, but it’s still the same god. The way I see it, if we assume a vampire who makes a deal with the devil to get his powers (as in Dracula, for instance), then anything sacred to Yahweh/Allah/Jehovah will hurt him- and that includes holy water blessed by any holy figure equipped to do so within one of those religions.

Think of Die Hard where the New York policeman had no authority in Los Angeles.

**Same.**God. Assuming that the Judeo-Christian god is dominant, and that s/he is, as Bible, Torah and Koran all say, the same god, it is that entity who gets to decide who is equipped to imbue water with holiness, not the Jewish vampire getting the stuff splashed on him. I know that the concept of the devil doesn’t really exist in Jewish mythology, but if there are vampires running around, we have to assume that there is some evil entity that gave those creatures their powers- an entity which is opposed to the Judeo-Christian god, and whose servitors (vampire) are gonna get hurt by holy water, regardless of the faith they had before their death.

I mean, if the priest/rabbi/mullah (I know these terms are not synonymous) is empowered by the Big G to imbue water, wafer, wine or whatever with His Holy Might, what’s the vampire gonna do about it?

Vampire:“Oh, yeah, Holy Water. I’m Jewish, doesn’t count.”
Booming Voice: I AM THE LORD YOUR GOD, WHO DELIVERED YOUR PEOPLE OUT OF ISRAEL.
Vampire: What the fuc- OH SHIT IT BURNS!
:smiley:

According to the Blade movies which take place in the Marvel universe, vampires can be killed by garlic, UV light (inlcuding the sun) and silver (which I always thought was for werewolves). Crosses and holy water, not so much.

Yes, but the reports made by the Christians and Moslems leave something to be desired. For further discussion, please see your Rabbi. :slight_smile:

Fair enough. :slight_smile: My point was that holy stuff = hurty vampire, no matter what faith said vampire was (is being a bit of misnomer here, I feel). Mind you, if we’re going to discuss whether you can, in fact, make holy stuff at all (in Jewish mythology), then I think I’ll need to hand over the debate to someone more knowledgeable than I.

My final suggestion? If all else fails, sick the golem of Prague on him. ;j

Back when Chris Claremont was writing X-Men in the 80s, it was established that, for Marvel Comics at least, the determining factor was the faith of the person wielding the symbol. Thus Nightcrawler, a Catholic, could use a cross; Kitty Pryde, a (presumably reform) Jew could use a Star of David but found the cross useless; and Wolverine, an atheist, might as well stick to his claws. It made me wonder if Peter Rasputin (still a communist back then) might have found a picture of Lenin useful; or whether Magneto, who pretty much worshipped mutancy, might have used a symbol of the X-Gene. :smiley:

Good point. He may be able to regenerate body parts, but he can’t chase you while having his limbs repeatedly ripped off. :slight_smile:

In that case, Dr Doom can use a self portrait. :smiley: Or maybe vampires just cower when he walks into a room, and burst into flame when he touches them.

hmm…what if it’s a Doombot? After all, they think they’re Doom except when in the presence of each other or the boss.

Don’t know about the nukes, but in 3rd anyone who has True Faith can hurt vamps with it… whether it be true faith in Jesus, G-d, Satan, the Invisible Pink Unicorn or Flying Spaghetti Monster… as long as it is true faith, it works.

If you could find that story again, I’d love to read it.