Which law is most commonly flouted?

Those are called “rockets” in Canada and are essentially only a thing at Hallowe’en. Smarties are British M&Ms without the monogram or varied fillings. The shape is flatter and the shell colours different.

If you got them, you toilet papered that house.

While I totally agree about the pot laws which I have been breaking every day for all my life and am breaking as I type (with the exception of the three years I was stationed in Okinawa) I have never once pirated a video.

Now that I’m sticking it to Big Oil by driving the speed limit all the time (yes, I have been pretty surprised by how much I’m saving) I will say that more people speed in residential areas than on the highways. It always surprises me how folks who followed me at the speed limit for 20 miles on the highway suddenly want to pass me when I’m doing the speed limit on their own street.

I 'd also like to add, this was ages ago (pre internet), and I had an address on my license that indicated that it wouldn’t be a problem for me to visit the judge on or before the indicated date. In similar circumstances a generation before, my mom was pulled in front of a judge then and there, and expected to pay the fine or go to jail when she was pulled over for speeding outside of her home state. She had the cash, but it must have sucked to pay it for that immediately, or cool your heels until you sat it off.

I would guess there’s close to >100 times more speeding violations than pot violations and like 1,000 times more than video piracy. Depending on what you count as a speeding violation I’ve sped tens of thousands of times in my life and done the other two in the single digits. And while I am a faster than normal driver the vast vast majority of people I see on the road are speeding, both on the highway and local roads.

It wouldn’t surprise me if speeding violations are more than all others combined unless there’s some technicality like a DDOS is millions of violations.

Yup, Smarties originated in Britain in 1937 - they were the original.

M&M’s first came to market in the U.S. four years later, copied from British Smarties.

Forrest Mars Sr., son of the Mars Company founder, Frank C. Mars, copied the idea for the candy in the 1930s during the Spanish Civil War when he saw soldiers eating British-made Smarties

Probably breaking some law of grammar then. Like starting a sentence with a conjunction like and or but.

The chocolate is better in the Smarties.

Averages.

Hot dogs ARE kid’s food. That’s why eating them with ketchup is fine: if you’re going to be a kid, be a kid. Don’t pretend your packaged cow anuses are haute cuisine.

It’s a lot better. But it is not as good as it was before Nestles (turn, spit) bought the original company

In the UK it isn’t even an offense. You just have to use your own judgement.

Forrest Mars fought in the Spanish Civil War? There is something a little odd about this story. Brits who fought in Spain in 1936-9 were not regular British soldiers but volunteers who were, let us say, “discouraged,” from going to Spain by the British government. Mars would have been hard-pressed to spot such volunteers, let alone scope out their chocolate preferences. I can believe Mars saw regular British soldiers eating Smarties in England at the time of the Spanish Civil War, but the reference to the war itself is odd.

The only thing worse were those tasteless hunks of molasses wrapped in orange and black paper covered in cats and witches

I’ve always liked those (the USA Smarties, not the orange/black monstrosities - although I remember those as being vaguely peanut buttery).

Me too. And they were perfectly good if they were fresh enough, but sometimes you got some that were hard and stale.

USA Smarties, too, were perfectly good to eat—hardly top tier candy, but better than nothing.

This thread has really gone off on a tangent, hasn’t it? Oh well, it’s sort of the OP’s fault.

Yeah… those things are in the “there oughta be a law against giving out” tangent…

I’d say speeding, but in the last few years in our city impeding traffic by driving too slowly has got to be a close second. I don’t know what changed, but our freeways are often full of people going 20 km/h under the speed limit, and it’s common in the city to get stuck behind someone going 40 in a 60 zone. They never get ticketed. It’s not even uncommon to find people going 60 on a 100 kmh freeway, with a giant line of traffic behind them. In regular cars, not dump trucks or tractor trailer rigs.

My wife got pulled over and ticketed in a pissant, podunk Texas town that I won’t name for doing three miles an hour over the speed limit. These tiny towns know perfectly well that someone driving from say Dallas to Amarillo on business isn’t going to return to Chillicothe (population 700) for a court date. However, the Legislature’s cut back on the incentives for these kinds of traps over the years, limiting how much of a town’s revenues can come from speeding tickets.

I got somewhere in my filing cabinet a letter from Luxembourg demanding I pay a $40 fine for going 1 kilometer over the speed limit because I got caught on video by a speed trap camera apparently.