Which national fast-food chain has the best basic Fried Chicken?

We have ONLY KFC, and it’s just as well, because I would be twice the size I am if we had a lot of chicken places around. I like KFC just fine, prefer the grilled.

Almost forgot, there’s a stand in the food court at the mall called Chicken Now, which cooks chicken tenders to order. It’s OK, you’d think it would be better. There was some fat/tendon in my chicken I bit into and it was a little queasy making, and it wasn’t exactly crispy.

My favorite fried chicken has nearly disappeared from the face of the Earth - Browns. Amazingly tasty, and the best sides. Popeye’s is probably the closest in taste, but they don’t have those wonderful mushrooms.

Was gonna say Bojangles, but , I haven’t had that for 20 years…so therefore Popeye’s…but, since they took away the Cajun sparkle and the fresh dipped onion rings I haven’t been back.

Something is off at KFC…not the same quality as it was. :dubious:

I been having them chicken bites at checkers with my homemade Cajun sparkle recently.

Same here, it’s actually the closest fast food restaurant to me. Still, I manage to practice moderation; I don’t think I’ve gone there in over a year.

Oh, mine HAS to be spicy. I’ve been there a couple times when they’re temporarily out of spicy, and I just went elsewhere for something else. Though, their non-spicy is still way better than KFC, IMHO. And not only is KFC’s chicken sub-par, but their sides are just sad. There’s nothing like a delicious buttery Popeye’s biscuit dipped in their red beans and rice!

Pollo Campero is an international fast-food chain, but in the US it might not be popular outside the Washington DC area. It’s the best.

I will add this: We may not have Popey’s anymore, but Rally’s has boneless strips of chicken breasts, deep fried crispy, then slathered in garlis butter and parmesan cheese that are to DIE for. OMG are they good. Not basic fried chicken but… mmmmmmmmmmmm.

Amen, my friends.

Bojangles, hands down.

Somebody help me out as my memory isn’t the best.

When I was a kiddie in the 70s I lived in the US. I remember KFC as being not only delicious, but pretty crispy and dry, and the batter was light in color.

I didn’t eat any KFC for maybe 20 years. The next time I ordered it it was soggy, dark in color, and excessively greasy. I put that down to the individual franchise, but I have subsequently ordered it in several different countries, including the US, and found the same thing.

However I went to Popeye’s recently and was delighted to find that it matched up with my memory of what I thought KFC was. Delicious, crispy and really tasty.

Am I misremembering? Was I actually eating Popeye’s when I was a nipper, or has the KFC recipe changed?

(In other words I voted Popeye’s.)

If I were back in the great city of Chicago… it would be Harold’s famous fried chicken… and dammit I’ve been scarfing down half white salt and pepper when Barack was chillin in Hawaii trying to figure out what he was gonna do on the beach!!!
National… Popeyes… totally… I can’t even get my kids to walk into KFC… they fell so far off of the map. just fuckin terrible…

I love me some KFC, but I’ve got to give Popeye’s the edge for better sides, rice and beans in particular. That stuff is like crack. They lose a few points for consistently shitty service.

BTW Roy Rogers only has 46 remaining restaurants, in only 8 states, and 18 of those locations are in Maryland. Not exactly a national chain (anymore).

I vote Popeye’s and Bojangles. The Popeye’s I ate at in Paducah, Ky., was utterly outstanding.

I dont’ know if it’s the location, I just got a good batch or what, but we got a bucket of chicken from an Ingel’s grocery store in Asheville, NC, and I swear they had grannies back there frying it in their own kitchen. It was nearly the best fried chicken I’ve ever had in my life, home or restaurant. (The #1 spot goes to Mrs. Wilkes Boardinghouse in Savannah, Ga., which I literally had 20 years ago.)

I chose not to vote since I eat so little fried chicken. But I would have voted for Popeye’s since I have preferred their praparations. We have one nearby and I have gotten take-out three times. The staff there act like they’d rather I didn’t disturb them with my order so I quit wasting their time. A shame, too. The chicken is good, but their attitude sucks.

Well honey, come to Kentucky. The staff in Paducah treated me like family. Seriously!

Next time I’m up that way, I definitely will. The ones in New Orleans were special, too.

This particular location has been jinxed for years and can’t seem to keep the same occupant for more than a few months. It’s had some good places pass through, most notably a Backyard Burger – which was supreme! – and even a Neely’s Barbecue (from Memphis). But they never last. The joint must be “hanted.” :wink:

There is one in Chicago on Pulaski at Western. I’ve never been there, but have seen the sign as I walked from Western to the Aldi.

What Chicago do you live in where Pulaski and Western intersect? :slight_smile:

This. Looooove that chicken! Especially the ‘spicy’. Mashed potatos, red beans, and biscuits are also great.

Church’s is second. Good, but will pick Popeye’s 95 times outta 100 over Church’s.

KFC is disgusting. They pressure cook their chicken in grease, or so I’m told. Anyway, it is definitely the greasiest by far.

Ooh! Which Ingles, please? Wingles, in West Asheville? Pingles, on Patton Ave? Ningles, in North Asheville? Swingles, out on Swannanoa River Road? Or antoher one?

Who are all these people voting for KFC? And have they even tried Popeye’s?

Inspired by this thread I picked up some Popeye’s last night. Magnificent!