Which of these fall and Oscar season movies are you interested in seeing?

This for me, too.

How come?

American Sniper is getting a limited release starting on Christmas Day.

I’ve been following the reviews from Toronto, and some of these look fantastic. Nightcrawler for sure, Birdman absofuckinglutely. Not on your list is Phoenix, which also looks great.

Thanks for this great thread. I was unaware of most of these films. Definitely Birdman, Gone Girl, Interstellar, The Judge, Automata, and Mockingjay.

Also, thanks so much for:

Instead of kisses we get kicked…

I’m posting from my phone, and don’t know how to link. But I’m anxious to see * Cake * with Jennifer Aniston. Dark comedy about her as a chronic pain sufferer, also has Anna Kendrick and Felicity Huffman.

No mention the animated movie The Book Of Life? It’s a love story centered around the Mexican Day of the Dead. The characters are designed to look a bit like Mexican wooden dolls. It looks very striking visually and the story sounds pretty intriguing.

Otherwise, I’m pumped for Paddington (hope they release a new trailer with Whishaw’s voice, a different feel, and some scenes with Peter Capaldi), Into the Woods, and Big Eyes.

I was absolutely smitten with the animation in the trailer.

Here is the IMDB listing for Cake

In addition to those major films already mentioned in the thread (Big Eyes, The Book of Life, The Boxtrolls, Foxcatcher, Inherent Vice) not listed in the poll, other conspicuous absent movies are:

Black and White - race-related custody battle w/Kevin Costner & Octavia Spencer
Jimi: All Is By My Side - Hendrix biopic, with Andre Benjamin
Selma - MLK biopic
Tracks - Like Wild, but in the Australian outback and farther
Whiplash - Sundance hit about a young drummer and his intense mentor, with J.K. Simmons

I’ve been fortunate to have seen some of these listed already (though my job) and there are quite a few that I’m very excited about as well. This is awards season coming up, and while some films do end up coming across as shallow vehicles to bait a trophy or two, I think they all have potential if handled well so go into each with high hopes and an open mind.

We’ll see!

Wish I’d read the descriptions before voting. There are several others I’d vote for now too.

Carrel ever been in a drama before?

Some of the titles you folks have mentioned as not being listed are titles I haven’t even heard of! Others are titles that somehow I didn’t think Dopers would be particularly interested in such as Boxtrolls and Book of Life or just didn’t seem to have a broad appeal generally, such as Cake. I was going for Big! Oscar! Woo! like Mr. Turner and The Theory of Everything.

Well, I would consider Foxcatcher a definite Oscar heavyweight–almost a slam dunk Best Picture nominee from Bennett Miller, whose last two films (Capote, Moneyball) were major Oscar contenders.

Ditto Inherent Vice from Paul Thomas Anderson, whose actors have received 7 Oscar nods in the past (and 4 for himself, too).

And I wouldn’t be surprised if either of the animated films you mention take away the Animation Feature prize too (which, without Pixar in the equation, is a real toss-up)

Nothing like this. Best Actor is turning into an incredibly competitive race (w/Keaton, Spall, Redmayne, Murray, and Cumberbatch already in the mix), but the buzz around him is incredibly strong after Cannes and Telluride.

Fury - Brad Pitt World War II story; Fury is his tank. Maybe.

St. Vincent - Bill Murray plays the cranky, misanthropic old war vet next door, Again, go check out the trailer. ** Bill is always good.**

Big Hero 6 - animated action comedy about a boy and his inflatable robot. You’ve already seen the trailer. Sounds fun.
The Homesman - Hilary Swank and Tommy Lee Jones in a period Western. Looks interesting. Go check out the trailer. Maybe.

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 - Oh, you know, or you couldn’t care less. Almost certainly my other half will want me to see this.

The Penguins of Madagascar - Benedict Cumberbatch an an arctic fox. Could be fun
Wild - Reese Witherspoon takes a 1,100 mile trek. I read the book.

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies:cool::cool::cool::cool: Must see!

Here are this week’s movie releases:

89% for The Skeleton Twins with Kristen Wiig and Bill Hader as twins reunited after cheating death;
81% for The Drop with Tom Hardy as a lonely bartender who finds a pit bull puppy in a garbage can, and tries not to get sucked in to a life of crime;
80% for Honeymoon with Rose Leslie and Harry Treadaway as newlyweds whose honeymoon ends up being ruined by a series of strange events;
79% for The Green Prince about the son of a Hamas leader becoming an Israeli spy;
70% for Dolphin Tale 2, about a baby dolphin;
68% for The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby: Them starring James MacAvoy and Jessica Chastain playing a happily married couple whose relationship suffers in the wake of tragedy;
61% for My Old Lady starring Kevin Kline, Dame Maggie Smith and Kristin Scott Thomas;
55% for Bird People starring Josh Charles as an American starting his life over in Paris;
22% for At the Devil’s Door, a horror movie
20% for No Good Deed, a thriller with Idris Elba as an escaped convict.

Then I have “No Score Yet” for Atlas Shrugged: Who Is John Galt?

Have a great weekend, everybody!

Hobbit is the only one I recognised, though I guessed that Paddington was about the bear. After reading thedescriptions, I vored Fury, Homesman and Hobbit.

Hobbit is probably the only one I’ll actually see, though, unless the base theatre gets one of the others as a preview.

98% for 20,000 Days on Earth, in which Nick Cave marks his 20,000th day of life (that means he’s 54 years old);
93% for The Guest, in which a man who may not be what he claims to be is welcomed into the home of a family grieving the loss of their son in Afghanistan;
87% for Art and Craft, a documentary about art forger Mark Landis;
83% for Tracks, with Mia Wasikowska, about a woman who treks 1,700 miles across the Australian desert;
63% for A Walk Among the Tombstones, another Liam Neeson bang-bang revenge thriller;
61% for The Maze Runner, based on a YA novel, about a group of teenage boys forced to run a maze and try not to get killed;
56% for Pump, a documentary about America’s addiction to oil;
50% for Space Station 76, a deadpan black comedy about “a 1970s version of the future.” No CGI, just miniatures. The website looks pretty awesome.
45% for This Is Where I Leave You, about four grown siblings forced to spend a week in their childhood home to sit Shiva when their father dies.
42% for Tusk, a Kevin Smith horror comedy about a man tortured into becoming a walrus;
25% for Hector and the Search for Happiness, about a psychiatrist (Simon Pegg) who leaves home to find out what makes people happy;
0% for Reclaim, thriller about an American couple traveling abroad and bad things happen.

I have No Score Yet for Dr. Cabbie, about a young Indian doctor who comes to America and has to drive a cab.

Pride has been pushed back to the 26th.

Have a great weekend, everybody!

Not a movie goer in general, but I know I’ll be seeing the Hobbit, if only to find out how they manage to compress the roughly twenty remaining pages of book into 2 1/2 hours of movie.

93% and Certified Fresh for Pride with Bill Nighy and Imelda Staunton, about gays and lesbians supporting striking coal miners;
88% for '71 about a British soldier accidentally abandoned by his unit in Belfast at the height of the Troubles in 1971;
82% and Certified Fresh for The Two Faces of January, in which Viggo Mortensen and Kirsten Dunst are con artists and things start to go wrong;
75% for Jimi: All Is By My Side, a fictionalized biopic about Jimi Hendrix (unfortunately the filmmakers didn’t get permission to use his music in their film – ouch);
73% for What We Did on Our Holiday, starring David Tennant and Rosamund Pike, and Billy Connolly as his dad, about a family who travel to Scotland for a family birthday and bad things happen, I think. It’s a comedy, though.
71% for White Bird in a Blizzard, starring Shailene Woodley, Eva Green and Christopher Meloni and based on a book, about a teenage girl whose mother disappears.
70% for The Boxtrolls, a stop-motion animated fantasy about a boy raised by boxtrolls, little trolls who live in (and wear) cardboard boxes.
60% for Maps to the Stars, starring Julianne Moore, Mia Wasikowska, John Cusack and Robert Pattinson, and directed by David Cronenberg, about a fading movie star living in the shadow of her much more successful actress mother, who hires a mysterious, troubled young woman as her personal assistant.
59% for The Equalizer, starring Denzel Washington as a gentle man with a violent past and Chloe Grace Moretz as a young woman in trouble;
38% for Two Night Stand, a rom-com about two young people who impulsively hook up for a one night stand and then get trapped in his tiny apartment by a snowstorm;
25% for Believe Me, about four broke college students who try to scam churchgoers with a fake charity;
13% for Good People, starring James Franco and Kate Hudson as landlords who decide to keep the money they found in their dead tenant’s apartment, and bad things happen;
10% for Plastic, about a group of young people running an elaborate credit card scam, who run afoul of the wrong man, and bad things happen;
0% for Days and Nights, based on Chekhov’s The Seagull, about a large eccentric family getting together on Memorial Day weekend, and bad things happen, I guess.

Have a great weekend!