Which outdated customs should go?

Hi CookingWithGas - I’m still in Maryland, and while the blue laws are mostly gone, try buying alcohol in the City of Baltimore on a Sunday. It’s only possible if the store has a Tavern license. Very few do.

I’d like to think that, and that’s how I’d run the department, but ST never gave any indication, and in The Enemy Within the transporter chief was specifically instructed not to leave his post.

‘The exception proves the rule.’ Or more accurately, ‘The exception proves the existence of a rule in cases not excepted’.

It would not have been necessary to specifically instruct him not to leave his post unless the normal rule was that he could leave his post.

Yeah - any prehistorically used metal can be made blindingly shiny, but not for long, unlike gold.

Actual quote:

SCOTT: All right, Captain. Locked onto you. (Kirk stumbles as he leaves the platform) Are you all right, Captain?
KIRK: Yes, I’m all right. Just a little dizzy.
SCOTT: Let me give you a hand.
KIRK: I can’t get through there. Nothing serious. Don’t leave the transporter room unattended.
SCOTT: Wilson will be right back, sir.

I see it as more like “remind the audience as incidental dialog that the transporter room must be manned at all times”. If they’d followed procedure the EvilKirk would have been caught right away.

But they could still give him a chair!

I dislike this because everyone who has said it to me had absolutely no idea what I did in uniform. For all they know, I spent my time on restriction or in the brig. (No, I didn’t.)

Now, if they want to ask me what I did and listen to me drone on, then I’ll accept their thanks. But there was nothing exceptional about my service. I did my job, I advanced, and I decided I’d rather be a civilian again than continue a military career. Didn’t carry wounded comrades across any battlefields, didn’t shoot down enemy bombers. I just did my assigned tasks as a technician, and later as an officer (which I sucked at, hence my decision to get out.)

The Original Series in Star Trek never showed toilets, either, but presumably they still needed to get rid of bodily wastes. I think you were supposed to assume some stuff.

Either that, or Star Fleet had some dickish rules. Which is also possible.

They could transport people across space, you’d think evacuating the contents of the colon would be trivial.

They could also transport babies out of wombs.

Considering how many episodes were based around transporter accidents creating clones or evil opposites or amalgams of people?

I’d hate to be the officer on duty when Kirk’s colonic cleansing produces a sentient poop-monster.

I hope you’re just being facetious here and don’t actually do this.

A friendly reminder, everyone, that the thread isn’t about Star Trek. It’s a cool thread, let’s remain on topic. Thanks!

RickJay

No, I don’t really do it. Those deserving of it who don’t wear masks or keep social distance are also likely to conceal carry.

American society has a history of considering the customs and practices of the working-class poor to be “crass” or “low class.” Nearly everybody apes middle-class practices to the extent possible. A good example is in the Little House books, when Ma kept reminding Laura to wear her bonnet. Why? So she wouldn’t get tanned. Because being tanned was a sign of lower-class men who had to work outdoors all day.

Now that society has changed to the point where a very large percentage of the working-class poor have low-paid INDOOR jobs, and they do not have the time or disposable income to be tanned, being tanned is now considered to be desirable and attractive.

And remember, Levi Strauss got his start selling denim pants to the miners in the California gold rush. Denim has long and deep roots as working-class attire.

When I worked at Walmart 20 years ago, Sam Walton had been dead for about 10 years, but his influence still lingered. Much of Walmart’s dress code was based on his personal preferences. One of the rules was that you could wear black jeans, white jeans, etc. (one coworker had somehow found a pair of red jeans!)–you could wear literally any color except blue.

In the UK there is a broadcast blackout of football matches on TV every Saturday 3PM which is the traditional time for football across all divisions. The EPL matches are broadcast all around the world in their corresponding time zone but if you cannot turn on your TV and watch a 3PM game live even if you pay for live sports subscriptions. You either have to go the stadium and watch in person or find a foreign broadcast stream on the internet.

The rule goes back decades. It is antiquated in thinking because the idea is if the TV broadcasters were to show EPL teams playing at 3PM then people will choose to sit at home and watch the top division teams and attendances at every other league will dwindle as a result. For example Cristiano Ronaldo’s first game back with Manchester United a few weeks ago was a Saturday 3PM game. A 100 different countries showed the game live on TV except the country in which the match is actually being played. Obviously ticket demand to watch the game for Ronaldo’s return went through the roof but attendances at other matches including nearby lower division clubs were not that much different. People who would normally go to a Division Three game every Saturday did not suddenly stay at home to watch a low quality NBC Sport live stream. The beauty of English football is that there are so many teams, so many leagues, and the following is not collapsed the lower down you go. In fact the lower down you go are way the more hardcore loyal fans are because their money to go to matches and take up the matchday experience carries a bigger investment in those clubs which in turn gets re-invested to better the club than a mammoth club like Manchester United who have an endless supply of corporate sponsor money.

Here in the US, the NFL had a similar “blackout” rule from 1973 until 2014. By that rule, any particular game couldn’t be broadcast in the home market of the team which was hosting the game, unless the tickets for that game were at least 85% sold, no later than 72 hours prior to kickoff. (The “home market” was defined as any broadcaster located within 75 miles of the home city.)

The reasoning for that rule was to encourage people to attend the game in-person, and only televise the game in the home team’s market if the game was sold out (or close to it).

Over the years, blackouts became increasingly rare, typically only happening when the home team was particularly bad that year, and/or didn’t have a strong fan base. In 2014, the FCC announced that they had repealed the blackout rule; the NFL has stated that the league still has the power to enforce the rule on their own, but has chosen to “suspend” the rule on an annual basis ever since then.

Even though that blackout rule is no longer in force, the NFL still does have a variation of it: their broadcast rules prevent any other NFL game from being broadcast in the home market of a team which is hosting a game, in the same time slot as that game (though there are a few exceptions to that rule). So, if the Chicago Bears have a home game at noon on Sunday, the Bears game will be the only game televised at noon in the Chicago market, though there will be games televised in the other time slots (3:30pm, 7:30pm).

I used to work in a military museum and we had a lot of veterans visit each year. Instead of thanking them for their service, I asked them what they did in the military and they were usually pretty keen on answering me. It probably didn’t hurt that the exhibits in the museum likely reminded some of them of the time they served. We had exhibits ranging from the Civil War through Vietnam though we got very few ACW veterans…

You’ve just reminded me of something.

Back in the 1960’s, I went to a boarding school that refused to serve ketchup at meals. I don’t mean they refused to put a ketchup bottle on the table, which given their setup otherwise would have made sense as they were trying to teach us “proper” table service; but that the material itself was off limits. We were never given a reason for this, and I remember discussions in which we tried to figure it out. It wasn’t about not amending the cook’s cuisine, because when we were fed something we’d ordinarily put ketchup on, we were provided with dishes of tomato sauce; though it was a tomato sauce entirely unlike ketchup.

There were rumors that the school’s founder (also dead for some years IIRC) had forbidden ketchup; but we never had any specific evidence for that.

I’ve been at pubs in the U.K. during holidays and logged into my NBCSN account and watched the 3 PM matches, got some interesting looks.

I “graduated” Kindergarten AND first grade in the late 1960s. But as I remember it was not any sort of big shebang, it was just a last day of the year “fun activity” in one of the school’s larger rooms, where the teachers and kids basically play-acted a little graduation and all got a little “diploma” run off the school’s mimeo, and there was a table of snacks in the back for the “afterparty”.

Now, if y’all mean setting it up to look really graduation-like and cost like a real graduation, eh, yeah, that is a bit too much but only in the sense of taking things too seriously. Let the kids be kids.