Which Outer Limits do you like better?

I like the old one.

The new has some good eps, and much better production values. But, like TOS vs TNG, the old was cutting edge at the time. The pure energy of the ideas still sing out to me.

Demon With A Glass Hand me, baby! Premonition, anyone?

Citing the episode based on one of Harlan Ellison’s best short stories as evidence of the overall quality of the original isn’t quite fair. I like the more recent version better. It’s overall quality is a bit more consistent, and doesn’t rely on the monster of the week nearly as much.

The cinematography of the *old * Outer Limits is unmatched.

I like both well enough but given the choice, I will go with the later version. It’s slightly better overall.

The old one, definitely–one of my all-time favorite shows.
The new one just seems kind of generic, made-in-Canada TV sci-fi/horror–like a lot of those mediocre shows on the Sci-Fi channel. (And the theme music sounds like it was ripped off from Constant’s *Twilight Zone *theme.)

Of all the original Outer Limits I’ve seen, Demon With The Glass Hand impressed me the least.

Overall, I prefer the newer one. The writing of the original lacked as often as the newer one. However, the acting in the 60s version is, frankly, of a generally lower quality, and the f/x and alien makeup painfully bad at times. The camera-work ranges from ‘Well, this was filmed on a stage’ to ‘Wow, that’s simply brilliant’, which, while it has its high points, isn’t really better than the ‘standard TV’ camera-work of the more recent version - the brilliant episodes don’t make up for the badly filmed ones.

I like the old one better. There was a definite sense that each episode might be about … anything. Real sense of wonder stuff. While I haven’t really sampled enough of the new eps to make a fair comparison, the few I have watched have been kinda mundane … real Issue of the Week stuff.

The writters for the first one were way better than the new ones by far.

However, personally I hate watching sh*t in black in white.

The original. I saw it in its network run (Monday nights on ABC) and it was the talk of the school every Tuesday. It’s also held up pretty damn well: when I saw “The Sixth Finger” for a second time about seven years ago, it was as good as I remember, plus there were some incredible elements I had not noticed the first time around.

Plus, I was watching it with my daughter, who was the same age as I was when I first saw it. She was just as delighted.

But no one can top “The Sixth Finger,” “The Zanit Misfits,” “OBIT,” “Controlled Experiment,” “Specimen Unknown,” “The Architects of Fear,” and “Forms of Things Unknown,” in addition to “Demon with the Glass Hand.”

What exactly is it about Canadian made tv shows that makes them inferior to Hollywood products? I don’t see what the place where a show is filmed has to do with its quality.

I like the old series because it usually scared the bejabers out of me when I was a kid. I still get a tingle when I watch one of the old episodes, even though the effects and monsters are pretty cheesy by today’s standards.

Outer Limits is only shot in B.C. Canada, it is an American show.
I like the new one, but i’ve never seen the old one.

I find the new show tennnds tooooo draaaaaaaag oouuuuuuuut theeeeee stooooooryyyyyyy, destroying any sense of suspense by replacing it with impatience (“All right, already, they believe the aliens eat human brains but the ‘aliens’ are actually just other humans. We get it, stop wasting time!”)

Many of those hourlong episodes could have been edited down to excellent half-hour shows.

As a minor trivia note, the “Control Voice” of the new Outer Limits was Kevin Conway, who played Ryan and Cyril O’Reily’s scumbag father on Oz, as well as Kahless the Unforgettable on Star Trek: TNG.

I’m a big fan of the original Outer Limits too. I’ve got the 2nd season on DVD, and want to get the first season as well.

“Demon with a Glass Hand” really wow’ed me when I first saw it.

That Bach piece that David McCallum played in “The Sixth Finger”? I learned that piece because of that episode. It didn’t hurt that I was madly in love with David McCallum at the time.

“A Feasibility Study” is the one that REALLY gets to me. It can still make me cry, all these years later.

I’ve hardly seen any of the first one, but I saw pretty much all of the second and third incarnations. “The cold Equations” stands out but that’s all that comes to mind right now.

I think that was from the '80s “Twilight Zone” incarnation.

I haven’t seen that many of both versions, but so far I like the new ones better. The old ones never did too much for me.

Maybe I just saw the wrong episodes.

Now, the Twilight Zone, on the other hand, is the reverse.The Old series was much better then the new episodes I’ve seen.

Without question, in my mind, the original “Outer Limits” was the best.
As RealityChuck said, each episode was always the topic of conversation the next day in school. I remember the next day in school after “the Zanti Misfits” aired. Everyone agreed those Zantis had to be the creepiest monsters ever.

I can’t believe Tengu said the original Outer Limits had bad acting. The original had actors nearing the end of their careers (Sir Cedric Hardwick, Gladys Cooper, Neil Hamilton, George McReady) and actors just starting out (Martin Sheen, Cliff Robertson, Sally Kellerman, Martin Landau, Robert Duvall).

The camera work of the first year was amazing and I also liked the music of the first year. (Okay, I’m a big “first year” Outer Limits fan). The second year had a more ordinary look and sound to it. (That second year music was bad !!) The second year did have some GREAT stories (The Inheritors, Demon With A Glass Hand, I Robot, Soldier) - but it had its share of duds too (Counterweight, Probe, Brain of Colonel Barham).

The ‘new’ Outer Limits has a lack of imagination and very few episodes stand out. (A GREAT story was the one in which Amanda Plummer goes back in time to murder serial killers before they begin their muderous ways).
The ‘new’ episodes are overly violent and lack good dialog. The remake of the Inheritors was really bad. They made it seem like it was an ordinary ‘cop show’.

I’ll stick with the original.

You’re thinking of The Twilight Zone from 1986. It was helmed originally by Harlan Ellison, and it was done exactly as it should have been. Each episode was an hour long, and contained two or three stories. Each story would be however long it needed to be for that story, so you might get a forty minute segment, a fifteen minute one, and a five minute one.

While not quite the quality of the best of the original, it was easily the best sci-fi/fantasty anthology show of the past 20 years, with consistently good production, and excellent choice of stories. CBS killed it by constantly interfering with Eliison and killing a Christmas episode he had planned around a non-traditional Santa Claus. CBS also didn’t like the irregular length of the stories, which would make syndication difficult. So when Ellison quit, they re-tooled the show into a rigid two half hour stories format, with stories stretched or chopped to fit that time period, and less controversial topics covered. It failed badly, by alienating what fans there were without attracting new ones.

Remaining episodes were retooled for syndiacation, and a second season was produced exclusively for syndication. That was where the best episode, “The Cold Equations” was. It remains to this day the most emotionally moving episode of any television series I’ve ever seen.

The third incarnation, from 2002-2003, was a travesty. CBS decided from the get go to repeat in it’s entirety every mistake they made in 1986, specifically by making every hour long episode into two thirty minute, ready for syndication episodes. They don’t seem to understand that to make it to syndication, the show needs to be on the air long enough to accumulate enough episodes to syndicate.

Highlights of the newer incarnation of The Outer Limits include “The Sand Kings”, “Inconstant Moon”, “The Sentence”, “Stitch in Time”, “Dead Man’s Switch”, “Final Exam”.

I second Number Six. The New Twilight Zone was just plain great TV, and I’ll go further – it was better than the original. The original was heavy on heavily ironic twists (that look even more hamhanded today); the remake concentrated on good stories. Not only from Ellison, but things by Robert Silverberg, Joe Haldeman, Stephen King, Theodore Sturgeon, William Wu, Ray Bradbury, Roger Zelazny, and Arthur C. Clarke. It was where J. Michael Stryczynski and Rockne S. O’Bannon got their start (O’Bannon is responsible for “Alien Nation,” “Seaquest DSV,” and “Farscape”).

The shows were consistenly great. Although Ellison was not the producer, he was a creative consultant on the series and wrote several original scripts and at least one adaptation, as well has having stories adapted by others.

Great episodes included “Wordplay,” “Shatterday,” “Nightcrawlers” (the best horror episode ever put on TV), “Paladin of the Lost Hour,” “One Life, Furnished in Early Poverty,” “I of Newton,” “A Small Talent for War,” “To See the Invisible Man,” “Button, Button,” “The Misfortune Cookie,” “Monsters,” “The Cold Equations,” “Cat and Mouse,” and “Crazy as a Soup Sandwich.”